[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ran

I'm starting to think they are setting Jeyne up to betray Robb, why else would she continue this charade?

Okay, they really need to set it straight: is she Talisa? Or is she Jeyne Westerling Either way, I'm not feeling it. The romance between Robb and 'that chick' is just....pointless.

Yes. As an earlier post mentioned, what's the point of turning her into some random foreigner?? I don't think it's at all true to character for Jeyne to be complicit in Robb's betrayal, but that would at least be better than some wandering nurse from Volantis. And for reals he's not at all worried about how this woman got to his camp, how she supports herself or WHO supports her and this brilliant military strategist has no qualms about sharing all this sensitive information with this strange, unsubstantiated girl? And to throw everything away on her not out of grief and guilt over his brothers but because he's on the outs with Mommy and the girl's brother almost died once when they were kids???

And while I'm at it, the Halfhand would never get captured. Period. And I don't think book Ygritte's nearly as smart as TV Ygritte, who's clearly already figured out what Qhorin's planning, though Jon probably hasn't, b/c TV Jon is a buffoon.

What was up with Tywin's comment about keeping someone sober? Was he talking about Ser Kevin?

He was talking about the Mountain. No idea why he was sitting at the table with Tywin and the other officers, but he commanded Gregor to keep Arya after he left. Tywin told Arya to keep him sober because that's how he does his best work.

"First we ate the horses. We weren't going to ride anywhere. Next we ate the cats. I never liked cats, so no problem." I don't think I got it perfect, but it was something like that. I was so iffy on Dillane in the first two or three episodes, but he's figured it out.

Yep, he's definitely hitting it now. :)

What was up with Tywin's comment about keeping someone sober? Was he talking about Ser Kevin?

Sorry about that, but see the answer is out there - Gregor is the mean drunk Tywin was warning about.

Edited by towerofjoy

In regards to the aparant changes, here's what I'm thinking.

For Arya, I was also dissapointed with no Weasel Soup. I got all excited when Hot Pie was brought in, I was sure they would use him for that! But Weasel Soup actually is important to the plot, because without it Bolton doesn't get Harrenhal. So here's what I'm thinking. Jaqen uses the Weasel Soup to free prisoners like in the book, and Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie escape in the confusion of the castle being taken by northmen. This can be in the finale, because it would be one hell of a scene.

Same for Dany. In the finale, she will get her climax in the House of the Undying.

Blackwater looks SO EPIC. I swear to god, next week I am going all out. Maybe I'll even buy popcorn :) .

Jeyne/Talisa can also be a twist that will be saved for the finale. After Robb falls in love with her he finds out she's actually a member of a family sworn to the Lannisters! How would that be for an end to Robb's season 2 story?

I'm hoping my predictions become true. TBH I understand why the writers are doing what they are doing. The battle is the climax of Tyrion/Cersei/Stannis/Davos, but the actual finale is the climax of Jon/Dany/Arya/Bran/Theon/etc.... The final chapters in book 2 were good, but if they hold all the great scenes for the finale it can be sure to end with a bang. Especially because they have to have something that can even compare with Blackwater's epicness.

Probably the most I've laughed at a GoT episode since uh...forever. Stannis's deadpan delivery about liking dogs...but we ate them anyway. Amazing. Everything with Varys and Tyrion? Gold. I was straight up laughing out loud. Jamie's dissing on Brienne? Stellar. NCW has great comedic timing. I thought it was a nice bridge/ set up episode. And I appreciate that they addressed Arya's wish to kill Tywin with the fact that he left too quickly and Jaqen had guard duty.

Agreed. :)

Yes. As an earlier post mentioned, what's the point of turning her into some random foreigner?? I don't think it's at all true to character for Jeyne to be complicit in Robb's betrayal, but that would at least be better than some wandering nurse from Volantis. And for reals he's not at all worried about how this woman got to his camp, how she supports herself or WHO supports her and this brilliant military strategist has no qualms about sharing all this sensitive information with this strange, unsubstantiated girl?

Pretty sure you nailed it there: WHO supports her. That is, his nurse is clearly supported by the WHO — the World Health Organization.

My thoughts exactly. :) HotU is going to be in ep. 10. We've known that for weeks, based off of ep. summary/teasers. Exactly. I also missed the weasel soup stuff, but since she's never been called Weasel in the show, nor is there a tower basement full of high-born prisoners to free and take the castle, I can understand it being ommitted. On another note, I'm apparently the only one who didn't hate the scenes with Robb and Talisa, I guess.

You aren't the only one, not to be a jerk but I think book fans are being a little ridiculous on this front. People seem to want Robb and Jeyne/talisa to just look at easch other fall in love get marry and voila. The way GRRM set it up was never going to work for TV. They were going to have to set up a love story and love stories are usually pretty corny, but thats the price GRRM pays for setting it up the way he did. I'd rather the show at least make us care about the people involved before the RW.

No I think he was talking about the Mountain. He left Gregor in charge and he told Arya to try to keep him sober. Basically Tywin gave her a death sentence! :P

Speaking of the Mountain....let's talk about the MOST IMPORTANT question of the show! Who are the three men that Jaime think might be able to best him!?!?! I'd say the Mountain and the Hound for sure. Who is the third? In the books he does think about the men who are stronger than him: The Cleganes, Robert, the Greatjon, and Strongboar. I hope Jaime brings back this topic again so he can give the audience a mention to who I think the third is: The Red Viper. Would be a good setup to next season. ;)

Edited by Trebla

I had an opinion on this episode. Then I saw Oona Chaplin naked. Can't seem to remember anything else. I'll try. The last few weeks, I've been pretty adament about who I believed she was. Apparently, they went to the Crag without incident. And, then she had that story about Volantis. Either I was right and D&D are trying to throw everyone off her scent some more or...not. No idea where this is going. But, I enjoyed Oona's performance in this episode. Her acting, too.

First time I remember seeing Yara do anything of note for awhile. I'm trying to decide if she was too sentimental with Theon. I always got the impression that she really did care for Theon on some level. However, I'm not so sure if I like how overt she was here. I think the warning in itself was enough to show that she didn't want him to die. I probably could've done without the anecdote.

Sad to see the Arya/Tywin love affair come to an end, but, the scene where Arya names Jaqen was played great. Not sure if I fully buy his rationale for vetoing the Tywin choice...because she named him only to save Robb's life, not just because she wanted Tywin dead? Not sure if there's book precedent. Someone help me. I suppose you could twist it to fit FM ideology. The show needs more Hot Pie. Good to see him again, finally. And, Pod. Hope they let him speak soon. The chuckle was a start. It'll happen for you, Pod. Look how long Rickon had to wait.

Scenes at King's Landing was great, between Varys/Tyrion/Bronn, Varys/Tyrion, and Cersei/Tyrion. I got off just as much watching the verbal sparring as I did watching Oona and Robb do the other kind of sparring. Finally, Ros serves a purpose. It only took a season and a half.

Forget Dragonglass, I was really hoping the First Men left toothpaste under that rock. Dragonglass will do, though.

The episode cemented for me how happy I am with Stephen Dillane as Stannis. Still waiting for it to click with Davos, though. Hopefully next week...it should be his shining moment.

I didn't buy it when others sold it. But, I'm beginning to think Dagmer is indeed...the Bastard.

Next week, man. Death. Destruction. Turmoil. It's going to be awesome.

Edited by Bastard of Boston