[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ran

This episode was just ok for me. I enjoyed the Theon/Asha/Yara scene the most. I am glad that Jon has been reunited with the Halfhand so that story will continue as I had hoped. Brienne and Jamie are a match made in Westeros heaven and I can not wait to see more of them together! I DO NOT like anything about the Robb/Talisa nonsense. It is terrible. As for the Weasel Soup, I did not think it would be shown. Arya was not known as Weasel on the show so leaving it out was no big deal.

Next week is going to be awesomeeeee!!!!!!

Edited by CindySnow

Weasel soup was the third death Arya asked for. Unlike the HBO episode, Arya gets Northern prisoners freed, who in turn take over Harrenhall. Soup is cooked for the guards, and the boiling soup is used as a weapon. She then gets chosen as Roose Bolton's cup-bearer, as opposed to the strange plot device of her being Tywin Lannister's cupbearer.

Thanks, how were people expecting them to set this up with what we had seen to date. I guess did people expect for Northereners to get captured?

Yeah i'm starting to think she is either: a) From Volantis, or B) Jeyne Westernling sending letters to Tywin lannister. Either one would be a huge change from the book, and one of the few changes I will not be happy with.

See, I thought the real shocker would be if the letters were coming from Roose Bolton. I bet they want you to think its coming from the foreign whooooore (say it like on the Sopranos!), but its really coming from one of his commanders. It'll make sense when Roose changes sides at the end of next season.

I had felt the series was going to alter some main events, but this episode addressed them and tied them back into the narrative....

Definitely. :)

I thought they were good. I mean if Rob is going to do something as brash as blow off his pact with the Frey's they HAVE to show them falling in love. Having him show up at Riverrun and be married worked in the book because he didn't have a perspective, but in the show it's something that has to be seen.

My thought as well.

Jeyne is really hot, Jaime was wrong.

Oona Chaplin might just be worth a kingdom... ;)

No I think he was talking about the Mountain. He left Gregor in charge and he told Arya to try to keep him sober. Basically Tywin a death sentence! :P Speaking of the Mountain....let's talk about the MOST IMPORTANT question of the show! Who are the three men that Jaime think might be able to best him!?!?! I'd say the Mountain and the Hound for sure. Who is the third? In the books he does think about the men who are stronger than him: The Cleganes, Robert, the Greatjon, and Strongboar. I hope Jaime brings back this topic again so he can give the audience a mention to who I think the third is: The Red Viper. Would be a good setup to next season. ;)

Ah yes!

And dammit! I forget which chapter in which book he talks about this! Didn't he mention Robert Baratheon in his prime as a worthy foe? Possibly Barristan the Bold? I don't remember. But in tonight's episode in typical Jaime fashion, he never said anyone could beat him. He said there are only a few who might be able to best him.

No I think he was talking about the Mountain. He left Gregor in charge and he told Arya to try to keep him sober. Basically Tywin a death sentence! :P

Speaking of the Mountain....let's talk about the MOST IMPORTANT question of the show! Who are the three men that Jaime think might be able to best him!?!?! I'd say the Mountain and the Hound for sure. Who is the third? In the books he does think about the men who are stronger than him: The Cleganes, Robert, the Greatjon, and Strongboar. I hope Jaime brings back this topic again so he can give the audience a mention to who I think the third is: The Red Viper. Would be a good setup to next season. ;)

Someone asked me this same question during the show and I quickly came up with The Hound and The Mountain, but I couldn't think of the third. Selmy? Jaime would think he is too old to beat him. Loras? Jaime would think he is young. I doubt he'd consider anyone from the North since they're not real knights. The Red Viper certainly would set things up nicely for next season. However, I think it was purposely left to be without an answer for this very reason: so that it'll start a discussion.

Speaking of the Mountain....let's talk about the MOST IMPORTANT question of the show! Who are the three men that Jaime think might be able to best him!?!?! I'd say the Mountain and the Hound for sure. Who is the third? In the books he does think about the men who are stronger than him: The Cleganes, Robert, the Greatjon, and Strongboar. I hope Jaime brings back this topic again so he can give the audience a mention to who I think the third is: The Red Viper. Would be a good setup to next season. ;)

I'm thinking Barristan Selmy or is he a little too old? I'd also say the Hound over the Mountain. Loras Tyrell maybe?

Arya didn't have to kill anyone to escape Harrenhal?!! That's bs. So disappointed.

Seems Jaqen killed a dozen guards single handed, trivia for a FM.

Alas we did not get to see him do it.

Apparently, they went to the Crag without incident.
When they returned from the Crag without her being recognized that pretty much killed any "She is Jeyne" feelings I had. Ah well. I just hope they did this for a reason but I'm honestly not seeing one.

Forget Dragonglass, I was really hoping the First Men left toothpaste under that rock.

For real. What happened to Sam's teeth? Is the snow made of sugar or something?

Interesting. How so?

He essentially quoted Maggy the Frog's prophecy word for word. GRRM has said multiple times in interviews that D&D have insight into how the series will end. I think that scene was a tip of the cap to all those who assumed it be him over Jaime. We'll see if lefty ends up killing her, but that scene confirms Tyrion for me.

Damn you HBO. The guys get a feast of naked women and when us girls finally get a sniff of something you let the damn chick fall on him. Here are my demands, get those edited out scenes of Robb on the net or give me Jaime naked. I dont care if you cut from the battle of Blackwater or the HoU. I want me some man skin.

He essentially quoted Maggy the Frog's prophecy word for word. GRRM has said multiple times in interviews that D&D have insight into how the series will end. I think that scene was a tip of the cap to all those who assumed it be him over Jaime. We'll see if lefty ends up killing her, but that scene confirms Tyrion for me.
Are you referring to the "ashes in your mouth" bit? Because that was straight Tyrion dialogue from the books. Unless I'm not thinking of the same scene you are.

I've always liked Asha/Yara, but this week I LOVED her - she plays it exactly the way I'd picture her delivering her put-downs to Theon.

I'm glad Qhorin is back; don't love him getting captured, but this gets Jon's story back on track.

I am suddenly a Stannis fangirl - I want him to win! He's awesome! Eating horses and dogs - haha. His delivery is perfect.

Robb and Talisa or whoever - meh. I don't see what we gain from this.

I hope that as long as they're making changes, they keep Maester L alive at Winterfell - he can take Rickon. I want him to survive.

Gezz the whole deal with Cat was awkward logic.

I am sure in the book she had a message from Tryion , showing that to Robb would have made more sense.

Having a message that the (false) Bran and Rickon were dead would have also made some impression on Robb.

Not that would have changed him from getting angry.

So real lack of continuity of logic in the Robb-Cat scene, it could have been fixed.

Edited by boojam