[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ran

Damn you HBO. The guys get a feast of naked women and when us girls finally get a sniff of something you let the damn chick fall on him. Here are my demands, get those edited out scenes of Robb on the net or give me Jaime naked. I dont care if you cut from the battle of Blackwater or the HoU. I want me some man skin.

No question there. The gynosexuals have definitely had more than there fair share of the skin. When do will the androsexuals get their pound of flesh?

I thought they were good. I mean if Rob is going to do something as brash as blow off his pact with the Frey's they HAVE to show them falling in love. Having him show up at Riverrun and be married worked in the book because he didn't have a perspective, but in the show it's something that has to be seen.

Idk, I think the whole Jeyne thing happened fast and took Robb as much by surprise as everyone else...not much thought or build up went into it, and I think it was important that we were blindsided it by it, just as he and everyone else was. I never saw him as being particularly in love with Jeyne in the books, rather that he married her to preserve her honor, to do what was his duty, as he felt his father had raised him to do. I don't see why that couldn't work on the show. To me it's far more tragic, for him to have lost everything b/c he was, after all, still a boy- a lonely, inexperienced boy who made a fatal mistake for honor's sake and died for it, just like dad, than for him to have determinedly sacrificed everything for love...and I think a good actor with a good script could bring that pathos to life on screen.

"Robb and Talisa or whoever - meh. I don't see what we gain from this."

Man I really really really don't understand people who are saying this. What we gain from this is a path to what could be one of the most amazing scenes on TV ever. Rob just can't show up and be married without us seeing how it happens. It has to be passionate as breaking his vow is a very, very big deal. So what we're seeing with Rob and Talisa/Jeyne and Cat releasing Jamie is set up for the Red Wedding.

This stuff is ESSENTIAL for people who haven't read the books.

Edited by StannisWins

Idk, I think the whole Jeyne thing happened fast and took Robb as much by surprise as everyone else...not much thought or build up went into it, and I think it was important that we were blindsided it by it, just as he and everyone else was. I never saw him as being particularly in love with Jeyne in the books, rather that he married her to preserve her honor, to do what was his duty, as he felt his father had raised him to do. I don't see why that couldn't work on the show. To me it's far more tragic, for him to have lost everything b/c he was, after all, still a boy- a lonely, inexperienced boy who made a fatal mistake for honor's sake and died for it, just like dad, than for him to have determinedly sacrificed everything for love...and I think a good actor with a good script could bring that pathos to life on screen.

I think the love story angle just plays better on TV. To me it makes a lot more sense that he marries her because he wants to vs his honor. Especially since he has to know that there will be severe repercussions.

Are you referring to the "ashes in your mouth" bit? Because that was straight Tyrion dialogue from the books. Unless I'm not thinking of the same scene you are.

Heh. You are correct; I just browsed the chapter. I could have sworn she said the "ashes in your mouth" quote, but she did not and Tyrion did. I must be getting old.

Damn you have a pretty strange definition of fast b/c it seems to me Robb fell for her in a blink of an eye. Should they have had 4 scenes before they hit the sack instead of six. Sheesh,

Anyone else want to see a show where Bronn, Tyrion, and Varys drive around the country in a van solving mysteries? Anyone? Because I would pay cash money for that.

I LOLed at this. :)

Hey we got the full Monty from Theon in season 1...

Yup, and Hodor, too. Talk about a Tower of Joy!

Got a bit of Renly’s arse last season, too.

And don’t forget the stunt-arse that Quaithe was ministering to last week. I wonder whether Euron appreciated it properly?

. I hope that as long as they're making changes, they keep Maester L alive at Winterfell - he can take Rickon. I want him to survive.

That's an interesting idea. It would solve the problem of separating the two princes. The question would be where would Luwin take Rickon? In the books, Osha has apparently taken him to Skagos. If we eliminate that plot line, where would a maester flee to?

Oh, I forgot my most favorite non-speaking comedic moment. After Tyrion and Bronn both try to pronounce the maester's name who wrote the siege book, when Varys pronounced it, Tyrion gave Bronn a look that pretty much said, "I fucking told you so!"

I then turned to Dub and said, "I would watch a show with just the 3 of them every week."

"Robb and Talisa or whoever - meh. I don't see what we gain from this." Man I really really really don't understand people who are saying this. What we gain from this is a path to what could be one of the most amazing scenes on TV ever. Rob just can't show up and be married without us seeing how it happens. It has to be passionate as breaking his vow is a very, very big deal. So what we're seeing with Rob and Talisa/Jeyne and Cat releasing Jamie is set up for the Red Wedding. This stuff is ESSENTIAL for people who haven't read the books.
I don't think the problem is that we're seeing what is happening. At least that is not my problem. The problem is why Talisa? Why this Volantis woman instead of Jeyne? They kept the Crag and the Westerlings, hell they have even BEEN to the Crag but instead of making this woman Jeyne they created a whole new character. She serves the exact same purpose, the actress could fit the description for Jeyne, and they didn't entirely get rid of mention of the Crag/Westerlings so what do they gain by making her a Volantene medic instead of the daughter of a house of Westeros? Edited by Lord Godric

Okay, for everyone complaining about Robb and Jeyne let's set a few things straight. Last episode Robb was heading to the Crag to broker a surrender, Catelyn releases Jaime after he killed Torrhen Karstark. Fast forward to this episode, we see Robb, Jeyne and a group of soldiers traveling somewhere, outriders are sent to bring Robb back to his camp because the Kingslayer is released, Robb goes to his camp, yells at Catelyn, bones Jeyne, realizes he is in love.

My guess is that Robb has yet to go to the Crag and Tarlisa will still reveal herself as Jeyne Westerling before going to the Crag to broker a surrender/marriage.

First time I remember seeing Yara do anything of note for awhile. I'm trying to decide if she was too sentimental with Theon. I always got the impression that she really did care for Theon on some level. However, I'm not so sure if I like how overt she was here. I think the warning in itself was enough to show that she didn't want him to die. I probably could've done without the anecdote.

Agree completely.

It'll happen for you, Pod. Look how long Rickon had to wait.

:lmao:

But, I'm beginning to think Dagmer is indeed...the Bastard.

I'm afraid I think he may be, too....

Okay, for everyone complaining about Robb and Jeyne let's set a few things straight. Last episode Robb was heading to the Crag to broker a surrender, Catelyn releases Jaime after he killed Torrhen Karstark. Fast forward to this episode, we see Robb, Jeyne and a group of soldiers traveling somewhere, outriders are sent to bring Robb back to his camp because the Kingslayer is released, Robb goes to his camp, yells at Catelyn, bones Jeyne, realizes he is in love. My guess is that Robb has yet to go to the Crag and Tarlisa will still reveal herself as Jeyne Westerling before going to the Crag to broker a surrender/marriage.

You may be onto something. Just plain Talisa seems a bit stupid imo.

I don't think the problem is that we're seeing what is happening. At least that is not my problem. The problem is why Talisa? Why this Volantis woman instead of Jeyne? They kept the Crag and the Westerlings, hell they have even BEEN to the Crag but instead of making this woman Jeyne they created a whole new character. She serves the exact same purpose, the actress could fit the description for Jeyne, and they didn't entirely get rid of mention of the Crag/Westerlings so what do they gain by making her a Volantene medic instead of the daughter of a great house of Westeros?

When is it ever stated Robb has made it to the Crag? We know he left to go to the Crag, that's it.