[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ran

Oh, I forgot my most favorite non-speaking comedic moment. After Tyrion and Bronn both try to pronounce the maester's name who wrote the siege book, when Varys pronounced it, Tyrion gave Bronn a look that pretty much said, "I fucking told you so!" I then turned to Dub and said, "I would watch a show with just the 3 of them every week."

I thought that was a funny scene too. I hope their bromance lasts longer in the TV series.

Okay, for everyone complaining about Robb and Jeyne let's set a few things straight. Last episode Robb was heading to the Crag to broker a surrender, Catelyn releases Jaime after he killed Torrhen Karstark. Fast forward to this episode, we see Robb, Jeyne and a group of soldiers traveling somewhere, outriders are sent to bring Robb back to his camp because the Kingslayer is released, Robb goes to his camp, yells at Catelyn, bones Jeyne, realizes he is in love. My guess is that Robb has yet to go to the Crag and Tarlisa will still reveal herself as Jeyne Westerling before going to the Crag to broker a surrender/marriage.

Yeah, I completely agree with this, I don't think he's been to the Crag as yet.

Okay, for everyone complaining about Robb and Jeyne let's set a few things straight. Last episode Robb was heading to the Crag to broker a surrender, Catelyn releases Jaime after he killed Torrhen Karstark. Fast forward to this episode, we see Robb, Jeyne and a group of soldiers traveling somewhere, outriders are sent to bring Robb back to his camp because the Kingslayer is released, Robb goes to his camp, yells at Catelyn, bones Jeyne, realizes he is in love. My guess is that Robb has yet to go to the Crag and Tarlisa will still reveal herself as Jeyne Westerling before going to the Crag to broker a surrender/marriage.

Good point. I wish the show would've made it more clear on whether or not they were stopped before arrival. When the rider came to inform Robb, Jeyne had this look of discomfort on her face. I wonder what that was about.

I don't think that's true. Robb mentioned he would leave for the Crag and take Talisa with him. And he would "return at dawn" according to Brienne. So that implies he was gone. This episode we see him and Talisa seemingly returning to the camp to the news that Jaime escaped. I'm pretty sure he's already been to the Crag.

That's an interesting idea. It would solve the problem of separating the two princes. The question would be where would Luwin take Rickon? In the books, Osha has apparently taken him to Skagos. If we eliminate that plot line, where would a maester flee to?

Oldtown abd meet Sam!

When is it ever stated Robb has made it to the Crag? We know he left to go to the Crag, that's it.
It doesn't. But he was scheduled to return at Dawn. So if he left to go to the Crag, and they all knew when he was coming home -- then he probably made it to the Crag and back. If he didn't go to the Crag when he was absent from the camp then that is very misleading.

Here's to hoping you're right. I can deal with Talisa from Volantis, but I prefer the Jeyne Westerling dynamic if possible. I need to re-watch the ep. to see which direction the rider is coming from.

There is no fucking way that Ramsey Snow was just chillin' on a dock on the Iron Islands. Do people think that Roose just magically knew that they'd be able to convince Theon to take Winterfell and set that plan in motion? Hate this Dagmar = Ramsey business.

I agree, Frisky. I think it's just that A) the guy LOOKS like a Bolton with the pale eyes and creepy voice, and B ) he's serving the same role that Reek did in the book...confusing the readers into thinking "How can there possibly be more than one insanely crazy little devil seemingly sitting on Theon's shoulder?" ;)

I agree, Frisky. I think it's just that A) the guy LOOKS like a Bolton with the pale eyes and creepy voice, and B ) he's serving the same role that Reek did in the book...confusing the readers into thinking "How can there possibly be more than one insanely crazy little devil seemingly sitting on Theon's shoulder?" ;)

I hope they do keep Dagmer around, though. Hate to see him get killed-off.

I generally don't complain about the show's changes (I actually prefer some of them- e.g. the new and improve Qarth story), but I'm a little troubleed / concerned about a few:

1. No mention of Tyrion's giant chain? How will there be a Blackwater without the chain? Even if it's there, the build-up to the chain was one of the best parts of ACoK, and it really showed Tyrion's brilliance.

2. I didn't like Cat setting Jaime free before hearing of Bran and Rickon. It was the supposed death of her two sons that spurred her to free Jaime in the book. Freeing him before hearing of their deaths doesn't make as much sense. It seems out of character. Her act in the book was pure desparation. Here, there was no basis for such a rash act.

3. Why make Jeyne from Volantis?

I really, really, really wish these bellyachers could shut their gobs and appreciate the show for itself, for what it is, and not for what it isn’t — and never was going to be.
Y

You and me both.

Thanks, how were people expecting them to set this up with what we had seen to date. I guess did people expect for Northereners to get captured?

The prisoners came from the battle Roose Bolton had backed off from, trying to cross the river down from Riverrun. Vargo Hoat brought them to Harrenhall, after Tywin Lannister left. The prisoners included Robert Glover. Vargo Hoat then switched sides, and shortly after Roose Bolton showed up and took over Harrenhall.

ETA: The important matter is that after weasel soup, Arya sees Jaquen change face, and asks him to teach her. He tells her she would have to come with him she won't, so he gives her the coin and teaches her the words, valor morghulis.

Edited by Fragile Bird