[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ran

It's official, Ros is the Kilroy of Westeros. I'm debating whether or not I should start a thread about how instrumental Ros was to every mystery in the story. I resented the character, I struggled against her...but like a stockholm syndrom victim, I embraced her and began to love it. Who hid the Dragonglass in the Fist of Men? Ros, of course. Also, three guesses as to who is under Qualithe's mask. (Also, an excellent episode mostly because it had interactions between my favorite banter couples...Tyrion/Bronn, Davos/Stannis, Jaime/Brienne. I had to go lie down after all that)

I was rather startled that they didnt find Ros under that First Men manhole.

BTW we are up to at least two memes from Lost with that manhole cover.

Up until tonight, I really didn't pay attention to anyone theorizing that Dagmer was Ramsay. At all. But, it just seems like they're really endeavoring to prop the character of Dagmer up. He's almost in every scene with Theon. Granted, it's to give Theon someone to talk to, but, that aside. Maybe Roose had known Theon couldn't be trusted, and, as a backup plan, he decided to plant Ramsay on Pyke for Theon's homecoming?

This, exactly. I'm 90% convinced Dagmer=Ramsay.

And in that short time the Bastard of Bolton would become the first mate of the Sea Bitch? There's so many holes in this theory. Dagmer = Dagmer, he's simply taken the role of devil on the shoulder of Theon and taken over some of Ramsay's role, but that doesn't mean he *is* him. He's simply filling up the role. Roose says to Robb when Dagmer is already with Theon his 'Bastard at the Dreadfort' could take Winterfell back. Probably Ramsay will only show up right in the end and pretend to be a hero just before putting the torch to Winterfell. Him killing another force that's laying siege (which was mentioned in this episode) is also still a possibility, why else mention Robb has sent men to reclaim Winterfell? Dagmer will likely die when Winterfell is taken despite still being alive in the books.

Edited by StannisandDaeny

I was rather startled that they didnt find Ros under that First Men manhole. BTW we are up to at least two memes from Lost with that manhole cover.

Oooooh~ I did not catch that :laugh: Now we just need polar bears for the holy trifecta of Others and a Hatch

Edited by Lord Over

The final tally:

1. Acting: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  2. Camera work: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  3. Musical score: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  4. Special visual effects: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  5. Foley work: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  6. ADR work: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  7. Set design: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  8. Costume design: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  9. Makeup work: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book
  10. Ensemble work: 0 out of 10, nothing like the Good Book

Final score?

A big whoppin’ 0 out of 100: nothing like the — genuflect when you say that you infidel — Good Book!

What a waste of time and money! I should have just gone to school today instead of sitting home and bitching. My three-year-old sister coulda shoulda woulda done better.

Although I did find it weird Robb imprisoned Catelyn, whereas in ASoS, he knew she did it for the best. I guess since the Tullys aren't in this season, we'll have to save face with that one. And I was also expecting the mention of the chain, especially near the end where they were looking across the bay, I just thought Tyrion would mention it. But hey, Blackwater's gonna be a beast nonetheless! Although it would have been a beautiful scene if episode 10 ended with Bran, Rickon, and co. being revealed for the first time since their "deaths", with the camera following their shadowed backs out of the crypts and out into the ruined Winterfell. Would have been a great ending and shocker for the audience.

Iirc, Robb did place Cat under house arrest at Riverrun in the books; I don't think he's actually having her penned up in the show.

Re: the chain, I think it'll be sprung on us like it will be on Stannis and Davos. They're saving it up.

And I completely agree about seeing the kids escape the crypts at the end of the season. Would've been stellar.

I wonder if they're trying to make the Jeyne thing some big shocking reveal for the last episode, like, whoa, this girl King Robb has fallen in love with is actually the daughter of a family that is on the other side, what will he do now? For me, that sacrifices characterization for a sort of lame surprise, but I can see where they might have thought it would be cool in the writer's room. It just doesn't seem to be working on screen.

Agreed.

In the preview for next week, does anyone else think it looked like Stannis was leading the charge off the rowboats, into the defenders of Kings Landing? Don't get me wrong, I am glad the are showing something that makes Stannis look like a badass, but Stannis isn't really that type of badass. He is definitely the more cautious Commander, and if he leads the charge, they are going to have to make him look even more badass IMO. He would have to be super badass, in order to survive to fight another day, after having led the charge right into a trap, and then being flanked by the Tywin/Tyrell army. So if my eyes did not decieve me, and if that preview was not just crafty editing to make it look like Stannis leads the charge, then I am very curious/excited to see Stannis fighting hand to hand the whole battle, and how he will survive it.

Damn straight.

I feel almost redeemed with this train wreck of an episode. Every major issue I've had with this season's writing was pretty much proven correct. 1. The miscast and terrible writing of Shae. Who bought for a second that Tyrion had fallen head over heels for her? There hasn't been a single scene this season that would suggest that his feelings are anything more than sexual, and now he is near tears? Uggh... 2. Talisa - Stupid unnecessary rewrite of a minor character which required a long lenghty and boring backstory this week, that adds really nothing to the Robb/Jeyne Westerling union. I wasn't against modifying the original story given the aging up of Robb's character, but this was as awful as expected. It isn't the actors, both are more than competent to deliver the goods, but I wasn't feeling anything with these two. Even the clumsy attempt of humour during the stripping down scene, as least I think was an attempt, came off as terrible. 3. Arya and Tywin - Yes - They have chemistry in spades, but other than Cersei and Tyrion, what two characters had more screen time together this season? And what was the point in the end? Nothing. Yes - We got some lessons in great acting from Charles Dance and Maise, but to have no real significant point for the characters suggests what a poorly thought out idea. Why not at least play up the drama and have Tywin get a letter from Tyrion indicating they have lost Arya and Tywin suddenly clueing in on who this high born girl is? At least it would add some drama to the events at Harrenhal. Or as I like to call it "Arya's Haunted Castle Vacation" 4. Qarth. Despite all the rewrites and changes, it remains the weak storyline that it was in Clash of Kings. It feels like its taking her a month to get from the kidnapping of the dragons to actually visiting the House of the Undying. That said, I did like Stannis and Davros, and Tyrion with everyone (excluding Shae).

Great post..."Arya's Haunted Castle Vacation" :lmao:

He is truly the prince that was promised.

DYING!!!! LOVE IT.

Rumour has it that Sean Bean and Jason Momoa were on set for filming the second series. David and Dan said that we’d see Ned in flashback-like scenes later on, although we haven’t yet. Can’t imagine that will be in “Blackwater”, which leaves only “Valar Morghulis” for them to show up.

The actress playing Dany said fans wouldn’t be disappointed by her “big scene” this season. Sounds like we may get more than we bargained for in the final episode.

Prediction: We’ll see something of Ned in Dany’s shade-of-the-evening visions in the Houses of the Holy Undying. I wonder whether they’ll use that to tell her she has a rival for the Iron Throne in some undisclosed nephew borne of Rhaegar, instead of showing Rhaegar and Elia and Aegonito. Might see some Tower of Joy scene. Might see Aerys cooking Papa Stark inspiring daughter Danny-Aerys to do some improvisational cooking on her own.

@ Vienna: They changed her because it would make no sense for an enemy lady to be roaming around the camp (Bad Things Might Happen to her) and Robb needed some dialogue with her leading up to breaking her vows. The real problem is that Robb comes off as a big idiot seeking her out himself.

Love makes idiots of us all. :)

Cutting off faces? Shae is clearly Ramsay -- it all makes sense now.

I don't understand people who complain that Jon's storyline makes him seem incompetent. He got captured by his enemy, which at this point has also happened to fan-favourites Tyrion, Jaime and Eddard. People are complaining because it deviates from the book but that's it. I love Ygritte in the show more than I liked her in the books, and I really liked her in the books; the more of her the better the show is. Where's Ghost at though? I'm not sold that he won't show up at the last second to free Jon so he and Qhorin can do a last stand like in the books but with their little scuffle I seriously doubt it.

I think I'm in a very small minority of people who don't have a problem with the Jeyne?/Robb romance if it is put into the proper context, that she is one of the few bright spots in his dreary and bloodstained existance. I'm not exactly sure where they are going with things put I think Jeyne will become less wooden as the series progresses. By Jeyne I mean Talisha of course.