Sign in to follow this  
Ran

[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ummmm - how the heck would Jeyne know anything about Volantis and slave cities. It didnt seem to be all common knowledge (eg tattoos) since Tyrion appears to be learning about it as he goes along in ADWD. I'm gonna say they made a GREAT decision by replacing Jeyne since it doesnt take away from the rationale for the Red Wedding AND it gives them a chance to introduce the slave cities to us before dany gets there and stirs things up.

You make a very interesting point. I certainly didn’t know squiddly-dot about Volantis before reading Dance. It sounded like some flying version of Atlantis (flying < “♬ Volare, Whoa oh oh oh! ♬”).

Translated: I watched a half an hour of it, thought it boring, turned it off, and my opinion is that it was boring and somewhat disjointed for the half an hour I did watch, which was bad. :shocked:

That was a long-winded way of saying "You're right".

Episode was boring...I hate Catelyn Stark, she starts this whole war capturing Tyrion which gets her husband killed, and then betrays her son which assists in getting him killed.

Anyone know why they don't just call Theon's Sister Asha? Doesn't really make a difference just odd.

Really wished they would have at least shown Dany at the HOTU and accomplished something this episode besides pure set up.

Episode was boring...I hate Catelyn Stark, she starts this whole war capturing Tyrion which gets her husband killed, and then betrays her son which assists in getting him killed. Anyone know why they don't just call Theon's Sister Asha? Doesn't really make a difference just odd. Really wished they would have at least shown Dany at the HOTU and accomplished something this episode besides pure set up.

Avoid confusion with Asha and Osha.

Sigh. This again. Jaime would've never lived to see the morning. Karstark was right there in camp, stirring-up trouble, as opposed to off with Robb like in the book. If anything, the way the show did it makes more sense, not less, than her letting him go in some desperate (and probably misguided) hope that it'll get her the girls back. She knows, for a fact, that if the Karstarks kill him, the girls are dead meat.

This so much. They get to the same exact place by slightly different routes.

I get there, but there is a clear undercurrent (practically an undertow) of "shut up about the books because I don't care".

It wasn't always like that. It used to just ask for no spoilers.

Eh, it's hard to blame him. I'm a huge fan of the books, obviously, but he's a TV reviewer, and he's made the choice to judge the series specifically on its merits as a TV show. He always invites discussion in the comments on his reviews for all shows; and after posting a request for no spoilers at the end of his reviews, people crossed the line over and over again until he had to put a moratorium on any book talk at all.

Episode was boring...I hate Catelyn Stark, she starts this whole war capturing Tyrion which gets her husband killed, and then betrays her son which assists in getting him killed. Anyone know why they don't just call Theon's Sister Asha? Doesn't really make a difference just odd. Really wished they would have at least shown Dany at the HOTU and accomplished something this episode besides pure set up.

There are any number of events which arguably started the war, or at least started the chain of events. My personal choice is Cersei's selfish and stupid refusal to bear at least one of Robert's biological children. She even tells Sansa that you can love a man's children without loving the man. Had she borne at least one actual Baratheron, it would have quelled any suspicion of twincest.

It must be SO difficult to fit this book into 10 hours. Why can't people realize that and brush off the small things? Either way Jamie and Brienne are off on their adventure. Who cares about the tiny details of how it came about?

Haha yes, Jaime and Brienne were the high point tonight...

Don't mind changes with purpose that I think work well, and who knows, things I hate right now may end up working out in the end. Hell I'm a supporter of a big change from Season One that I thought was more true to character and yet didn't really make the story make more sense for a TV audience, that being Drogo raping Dany on their wedding night. Seemed to me that was more realistic and truer to what a Dothraki horselord would have done but then I would think most of the viewing audience would have a hard time buying the love Dany develops for him. Didn't think it made for "believable" TV but truer to character. I can brush off small things, my complaints are over things I see as important for character or plot development. I can get over weasel soup and Ros vs. Alayaya and the fact that for some reason all the sex between Tyrion and Shae has been absent from this season; bigger changes that don't seem to have an important purpose are another matter for me.

Why is no one talking about how great a job Tom Wlaschiha is doing as Jaqen H'ghar? The scene when Arya says his name and they have that whole conversation is just brilliantly acted on both parts. They really seem to have chemistry, maybe it's just Maisie Williams because she was fantastic with Tywin too but I think the Jaqen portrayal is amazing. He has a touch of humor and seriousness much like the books.

Also, Oona Chaplin is totally worth the kingdom.

One more thing. I don't think Jaime thinks of the Cleganes with such respect. Yes, they're both gifted, brutal killers and fighters but I think Jaime would think himself much better than those two. I would think Jaime Lannister would know many other knights more skilled and famous than The Hound and The Mountain. Selmy possibly even though he is old and Jaime is cocky as hell. Oberyn Martell? He proved himself to be pretty good, beating the Mountain later in the books. There must be better knights than the dogs.

Edited by pinkie10

Stannis will arrive within a day or two, so does that mean HBO is changing who wins hmmmm!!!! Tywin decided to go home. I know in the books Edmure "delayed" him so Tywin was forced to retreat and go south, but i'm not sure about this two day arrival thing.

Huh!? You mean you care so much that you could care less, or are you one of those people who say the opposite of what they mean? Please clarify.

LOL at Stannis mode, but I'm right there with you. I usually just say "And how much less could you care?"

Why is no one talking about how great a job Tom Wlaschiha is doing as Jaqen H'ghar? The scene when Arya says his name and they have that whole conversation is just brilliantly acted on both parts. They really seem to have chemistry, maybe it's just Maisie Williams because she was fantastic with Tywin too but I think the Jaqen portrayal is amazing. He has a touch of humor and seriousness much like the books.

Totally agree. Both fantastic portrayals. Really enjoy their scenes.