Sign in to follow this  
Ran

[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Yes, that's why the first part is more like a joke (it *was* funny), and the second is what I'm really thinking. I don't think people are as negative as you're making it out to be. @ Versiroth: Yes, I believe what Alboin is saying is that he doesn't mind that at all, but that he does mind the decision of Robb to bang her of his own accord (rather than Jeyne wanting to 'comfort' him) before even 'finding out' Bran and Rickon are dead (like most of us do). It just destroys a lot of sympathy you could have possibly had for the Starks that they take the decisions that lead to their doom without the emotional devastation that news caused them. It also destroys the possibility it was a Westerling plot all along (I always felt that way, what with Jeyne not getting pregnant and the Wolf not trusting them).

Yep. I really thought the whole Westerling Momma/Tywin/Frey plot which led to the RW was great writing and good storytelling, which we have been set up for. We know how prickly Frey is about being slighted by the greater houses- the Tully's in particular- from Season 1, so I do feel the motivation for him would be the same were Robb married to a Westerling vs. a Volantian. If folks feel the need to see the falling in love, that's their perrogative, just don't really see the point of switching her character. I'm not sure we need slave city backstory, slavery=bad to everyone already, just the fact of a city being a slave city would be enough, I think. I don't see how Tulisa's little life lesson story makes anyone feel anything about slavery that we didn't already.

It was clear in the books that Tywin and the Westerlings (not necessarily Jeyne, but maybe) had a deal; Mom Westerling kept pouring moon tea into Jeyne to keep her from producing an heir, and Tywin mentions the Reynes of Castamere in a conversation with Tyrion re: Robb and the Westerlings and we put two and two together. It's all perfect Tywin and I'm not sure why they might want to drop it. Hope they won't.

I should have just gone to school today instead of sitting home and bitching.

Probably.

I love Ygritte in the show more than I liked her in the books, and I really liked her in the books

I also think she's doing a great job, which is nice because I couldn't stand her in the books.

Man, Jon Snow looks like an impotent douche.

He can't buy a lick of credit on the TV series, he couldn't even get indirect credit for finding the dragonglass through Ghost.

Hey we got the full Monty from Theon in season 1...

Theon?? :ack: Might be worth muting and watching, but we almost got ROBB!

Besides, I think androsexual outrage over the lack of man meat has been kept at a minimum. Whereas if there was a marked decrease in boobies, gynosexuals would be up in arms.

Though the comments would get a lot less creepy.

Why is Cat having the upper hand in the morality debate a problem for the show? I'm still not sure why they changed it; makes more sense for Catelyn to free Jaime and Robb to sleep with Jeyne (Talisa) after they found out Bran and Rickon died. The timeline matched up too, if they just waited an extra episode. It's not like they needed to move up Jaime's escape.

Makes for better TV, imo.

Man, Jon Snow looks like an impotent douche.

Why do you call him a “shower” for fuck’s sake!? Do you mean he’s a wet blanket, a party pooper? Or that he’s a jerk or a freak or a sop? Me no speaka dis nuvo kidztalk! What are you saying, this time in proper English instead of ghetto slang?

Good episode. Jeyne is really hot, Jaime was wrong. All I want to know now is how the Battle of the Blackwater will be presented. The chain is not out of plans, or at least this episode made me think that way. Thank the Seven that GRRM is the writer of the episode.

When Tyrion and Varys were speaking, you could hear the distinct but faint sound of iron being hammered in the background for most of the scene. Obviously a detail meant only for book fans since anyone else would not notice it at all or not get it's inference.

One of the best episodes so far! Looking forward to Blackwater!

Good:

• The first scene with Theon and his sister. Nice dialogue.
  • Arya asks Jaqen to kill Tywin, but it turns out to be too late. This makes more sense than in the book, where she never asks him to kill Tywin (IIRC, she asks him to kill someone else of lesser importance, and she basically wastes her opportunity). A pity I don't get to see more scenes with Arya and Tywin, their scenes have been one of the biggest highlights of the series so far.
  • The scene with Tyrion and Bronn was a bit funny.
  • Tyrion and Cersei. Well acted and written scene. Nice touch to introduce Ros as Tyrion's whore (but perhaps not that surprising).

Bad:

• A was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see the 'weasel soup' (or at least some kind of action), but I didn't really expect it to happen anyway because of the other (positive) changes that had been made. And it also makes more sense to me that they manage to escape in this 'stealthy' manner, given the circumstances.

Can you imagine that toolbag as head of the 'watch? He shouldn't be running the stables.
Can you imagine that toolbag as head of the 'watch? He shouldn't be running the stables.

Yeah, well for some reason they haven't bothered to even show Ghost except a few seconds for about a week in the show's timeline. Save some money some where else people and keep the wolves in the story! It can't be that expensive for Pete's sake. They are not CG, but enlarged/composited actual wolf actors. It's not a super expensive thing to do (and I work in CG). Maybe I'll volunteer my services to next season just to see more of the dire-wolves, heheh.

Why do you call him a “shower” for fuck’s sake!? Do you mean he’s a wet blanket, a party pooper? Or that he’s a jerk or a freak or a sop? Me no speaka dis nuvo kidztalk! What are you saying, this time in proper English instead of ghetto slang?

Lol, ghetto?

Anyway, read the second sentence then

Please tell me this is trolling. Ghetto slang?

Unrelated: Show-Jeyne is so insanely hot, for the first time I see why Robb pissed away his kingdom and life.

Edited by jblair

What a chump.......he should be Sam's steward.

When Ygritte says she'd be the one to cut his balls off if he ran, I almost peed myself laughing at Snow's character.

Craster's keep was bad enough

Edited by Mulled Wino

It was pretty good. I really liked the Asha and Theon scene. Its the first time we get to see Asha letting her guard down and expressing some genuine concern for her little brother. Theon still owns every scene he is in.

Jaqen is so freaking hot. I loved his "a girl has no answer" and Arya just shrugs like "whatever". They have great interactions, but even though I"m not one to nitpick, I am a little disappointed in no weasel soup or Arya stabbing the guard to escape(I think that was important for her development into training to become a skilled killer). Anyway, there's plenty of time for that.

Tyrion and Varys are great together. So are Tyrion and Bronn. Did Robb ever make it to the Crag? What about all those depleted medical supplies Jeyne was so worried about? Anyway, she doesn't bother me that much and I think her and Robb have a good chemistry.

I don't know why, but I was expecting HoTU in this episode. So, I was annoyed that Dany scene was pretty much the same scene she had with Jorah last episode. Damn, at least have her enter the damn place already.

I still love Ygritte. I think she's been fantastic Lord O' Bones is much more scarier looking than I imagined him.

Man, Jon Snow looks like an impotent douche. He can't buy a lick of credit on the TV series, he couldn't even get indirect credit for finding the dragonglass through Ghost.

LOL! So true. He looks like he's going to burst into tears at any moment. So far Sam would have done a better job. He might have tripped trying to swing the sword and accidentally crushed Ygritte.

’Fraid you’ve been flattened by my ironing board, mate.

I think he's just not falling for your trolling and is telling you to stop it with reverse irony.

@ Chelly: I think the pack horses from the first scene with Jeyne and Robb held those supplies. And isn't it just loveable how Robb accompanies her for no reason and then blames it on his mother that his men screwed up and got rowdy while he was on a love date? Jeez, he really is such a douche in the show.

Edited by StannisandDaeny

I don't know if this has been talked about but I wasn't too happy with Luwin finding boys in the crypt. I just remember how powerful the scene in the book was, when Luwin finds the boys alive as he is about to die.

Edited by Crowned Stag