Sign in to follow this  
Ran

[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Remember that interview with the actor who portrays Renly, Gethin Anthony, when he said that the horses were tough to deal with? He said how you only saw people on horseback, not getting on nor especially getting off, because it was always an unfilmably clumsy/embarrassing ordeal requiring a lot of help?

Well, we’ve now seen Charles Dance’s Tywin doing both things. We saw him dismounting his horse when he first got to Harrenhall, and now we’ve seen him mounting one two. I thought his moves looked completely natural both times. I was especially impressed with his arrival, when he dismounted like a real trooper.

Which I suppose is just what he is. A real veteran, and a true actor. He’s done all this before, many many times, and it shows. Bravo! Some things you just can’t fake convincingly. Charles Dance is Tywin Lannister. And we have two more seasons of him. Can’t wait!

Well he for sure isn't a Dog person! xD Just watch every single dog that ever appears in the series - bad things happen to almost all of them in a way that is simply grotesque. The dog violence is often grittier and more gory than the human violence, which says a lot, I think.

Perhaps that’s another point in favour of his being a cat person. Hm.

Speaking of cats, I just love BIG cats. Wouldn’t it be way cool if Jon or Bran were to add a shadowcat to their growing menagerie, or Arya a lion? Yowza!

Glad to see that Tyrion listened to my complaints about Bronn not wearing a gold cloak per his rank and station. ; }

What do you mean rank? It’s the pig-shit, of course. ; }

How come the Night’s Watch out in the snow showed no white breaths? I thought Kit Harrington said it was forty below zero! Sure, it probably wasn’t quite that bad all the time, but I saw no white breath at all, and you get that well warmer than forty below.

The fact that Robb marries Jeyne has no consequence in the show/books at all.

uhmm.....

I'd call the RW a pretty big "consequence."

Remember that interview with the actor who portrays Renly, Gethin Anthony, when he said that the horses were tough to deal with? He said how you only saw people on horseback, not getting on nor especially getting off, because it was always an unfilmably clumsy/embarrassing ordeal requiring a lot of help? Well, we’ve now seen Charles Dance’s Tywin doing both things. We saw him dismounting his horse when he first got to Harrenhall, and now we’ve seen him mounting one two. I thought his moves looked completely natural both times. I was especially impressed with his arrival, when he dismounted like a real trooper. Which I suppose is just what he is. A real veteran, and a true actor. He’s done all this before, many many times, and it shows. Bravo! Some things you just can’t fake convincingly. Charles Dance is Tywin Lannister. And we have two more seasons of him. Can’t wait!

Huzzah for Charles Dance! Did you see that interview where he explains he learned how to skin that animal in just a day? It would've been rather disastrous if he'd messed that up and they had to start again, but he's Charles Dance - he doesn't mess up.

You have to figure that whatever the horn left with the dragonglass cache really does, it is especially good use against the Others. And not for blowing down the Wall, mind you.

Its continued presence in the film adapatation tells us it must be Important with a capital I, or else they’d not have bothered.

Curiouser and curiouser, quoth Alice.

Huzzah for Charles Dance! Did you see that interview where he explains he learned how to skin that animal in just a day? It would've been rather disastrous if he'd messed that up and they had to start again, but he's Charles Dance - he doesn't mess up.

And wasn’t that the most endearing scene to first meet Tywin? You’re right on that one: he’s a real pro, and a quick study. But I bet they still had a scratch venison on hand just in case.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

I am really delighted with Stephen Dillane’s Stannis in this episode. This is the Stannis of the books brought alive by Stephen’s command of the craft. Stannis’s chemistry with Davos is so great here. Liam Cunningham was always on the money with his interpretation of Davos, but it wasn’t till this episode that Stannis clicked.

I’m so glad both of these characters will be with us for a long, long time.

Every since I first saw Stephen Dillane as Stannis, I thought he was perfect. That is exactly how I pictured Stannis in the books, and the actor is doing an amazing job. If anything has been lacking for Stannis so far, I think it's the writing, and not the acting. So I definitely agree with you there, it just clicked much earlier for me, that he was the perfect Stannis.

Same goes for Liam Cunningham as Davos, I loved Liam from other characters he has played, and when I found out he was playing Davos, I was very pleased. After actually seeing him play Davos, I was just that much happier, because he truly rocks the part.

On another note, I really liked the scenery in this episode. When Tyrion and Varys were walking the walls, I thought that scene was awesome visually. Getting to see both the castles to the right and left of where they were standing was awesome. Tyrions line about all gods being "such vicious cunts" was hilarious. Where is the god of tits and wine?

I really wanted to smack Joffrey when he was talking all cocky about going out to fight Stannis, and giving him "a red smile from ear to ear". I can't wait for next weeks "there's to many".

Bronn looked pretty cool in the dark shooting that flaming arrow, I imagine that was him lighting the Wildfire. Glad they are giving him something that important to do, considering he won't be able to be in charge of operating Tyrion's chain boon.

You have to figure that whatever the horn left with the dragonglass cache really does, it is especially good use against the Others. And not for blowing down the Wall, mind you.

Its continued presence in the film adapatation tells us it must be Important with a capital I, or else they’d not have bothered.

Curiouser and curiouser, quoth Alice.

I agree. The writers have some extra information from GRRM, so when they had them find the horn under some old school First Men rock carvings, I definitely got the idea that it was important. I have always thought that horn was the horn of Joramun, and after seeing that scene, it only furthered my belief. In the books, it's less dramatic, with more of an emphasis on who put it there(Coldhands). In the show, they said it had been there for a long time etc, and with the First Men rock carvings, there was more of an emphasis on the importance of what was in that cache(the horn). So I definitely think that was the horn of Joramun, and they wanted to make it seem more important, so people would remember it for later. In the books, the horn was full of dirt, and it was old and cracked, unable to make sound. I could be wrong, but in the show the horn looked old, but clean and well kept, not broken at all.

Bronn looked pretty cool in the dark shooting that flaming arrow, I imagine that was him lighting the Wildfire. Glad they are giving him something that important to do, considering he won't be able to be in charge of operating Tyrion's chain boon.

I haven’t heard any fat lady singing; have you?

I wonder whether Tabitha’s brother caught greyscale from the Rhoyne?

Well ok, Talissa not Tabitha. But there’s definitely an element of El Amor Brujo here, so Tabitha fits. Watch her nose: it twinkles when she lies.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

Ran, we must have a different sense of humor because I thought that Archmaester Ch’Vyalthan bit was hilarious. Joke's on every fantasy novel author, ever.

Until now I was hoping they will engineer a disclosure scene for Jeyne Westerling so the real beauty of Tywin's plot would not be lost.

I also don't get why people want Talisa anything other than she appears to be. Because it is a different character than in the book?

gmavridis has the right of it, at least in part. Tywin's plotting with the Westerlings and Walder Frey was a masterful example of Tywin's brilliance, ruthlessness, and power- echoing his "dishonorable" means for taking KL in Robert's rebellion- and it seems this will all be lost without Robb's marriage to Jeyne Westerling. Is it "necessary" for the plot or characterization? No, but it's badass and intelligent and it's a shame to miss out on it.

what a great image, when Varys and Tyrion talk about the dragons, with the flames on the foreground...

Yeah, loved that bit.

I'm starting to fear it is to give her something to do IN the House of the Undying, INSTEAD of walking around having visions... If I think about it more, that makes sense. They have left everything that is dreams, visions or prophecy out, except when it is for Bran (where it is quite obviously very necessary). So why would they include those from the House? Showing the RW without giving too much away is difficult, the vision of Rhaegar has no immediate part in the storylines so far (and we didn't get the other R+L=J clues either). I'm lowering my expectations, that way i can only be pleasantly surprised...

Same thoughts here.

Remember that interview with the actor who portrays Renly, Gethin Anthony, when he said that the horses were tough to deal with? He said how you only saw people on horseback, not getting on nor especially getting off, because it was always an unfilmably clumsy/embarrassing ordeal requiring a lot of help? Well, we’ve now seen Charles Dance’s Tywin doing both things. We saw him dismounting his horse when he first got to Harrenhall, and now we’ve seen him mounting one two. I thought his moves looked completely natural both times. I was especially impressed with his arrival, when he dismounted like a real trooper. Which I suppose is just what he is. A real veteran, and a true actor. He’s done all this before, many many times, and it shows. Bravo! Some things you just can’t fake convincingly. Charles Dance is Tywin Lannister. And we have two more seasons of him. Can’t wait!

:cheers: On this we can agree. Brilliantly cast. Don't know if you care for this sort of thing but his portrayal of Tulkinghorn in the BBC Bleak House production is even better. Scary as hell.

Every since I first saw Stephen Dillane as Stannis, I thought he was perfect. That is exactly how I pictured Stannis in the books, and the actor is doing an amazing job. If anything has been lacking for Stannis so far, I think it's the writing, and not the acting. So I definitely agree with you there, it just clicked much earlier for me, that he was the perfect Stannis. Same goes for Liam Cunningham as Davos...When Tyrion and Varys were walking the walls, I thought that scene was awesome visually. Getting to see both the castles to the right and left of where they were standing was awesome.

Spot on, all of it.

Well he for sure isn't a Dog person! xD Just watch every single dog that ever appears in the series - bad things happen to almost all of them in a way that is simply grotesque. The dog violence is often grittier and more gory than the human violence, which says a lot, I think.

As a dog person who admires cats, I have noticed that GRRM does have a tendency to do very unpleasant things to dogs. There are two other works by him that I don't reread because of it. I don't think he's much kinder to cats in AGOT; yes, Tommen loves kittens, and Balerion the kitten survived, but the description of Joffrey's torture of the kitchen cat in retrospect is ghastly. And two out of five Stark direwolves - the biggest, baddest canids of all - died violently; though it can be argued that the fates of Lady and Grey Wind are plot-directed.

I'm not optimistic for the long lives of Ramsey's "girls"; which is kinda sad, because they don't seem to be particularly vicious dogs, they just do what Ramsey has trained them to do, track and hunt. They're actually quite friendly to Theon-Reek.

I would imagine that at least one or two of Tommen's kittens will survive, though.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that GRRM is either indifferent to dogs or dislikes them; but that may not be the case, he just may be a total cat person. He has cats, right?

I like how they used the words 'baby brother" twice in the episode.

I also like the little tribute to first episode about the bravery of a frightened man.

I'm sorry but that's one of the main problems I have with this episode, because honestly it makes Tywin look like a fool. All those past episodes I though he knew who she was and just kept her around that way for his own specific reasons that were supposed to revealed later, and I was thrilled to see where this was going. Yet now? Tywin realizes she's a highborn northern girl, yet make no move whatsoever to find out who she is? How many northern girls are running around in a war, I ask you? How come she was able to be captured when the Lannisters haven't even breached northern territory? How come that nobody told Tywin that Amory Lorch chased Arya five minutes before he got murdered? The show also lets Tywin assume he was the target of the murder where the way the killing happened clearly suggests he isn't (Lorch drops dead into his room with the dart already in his neck) Tywin just appears to be big idiot instead of smart strategist. Way to ruin a role, imo.

It is a shame that the writers couldn't figure out a better finish to the Tywin/Arya relationship, especially since they dreamed it up in the first place. I did enjoy the chemistry between the characters and the actors; but what was it all for? Tywin to toss his favorite cupbearer to the Mountain as a housewarming gift? I guess Tywin wasn't as smart as we thought he was?

If Tywin thought the cute cupbearer was as special as he seemed to during the past few episodes, why wouldn't he take her with him? Or was he just bored, and found that the clever girl was the only one capable of interesting conversation in Harrenhal, but did not find her interesting enough to bring back to King's Landing? Tywin did not, after all, ever address her by name.

Maybe the writers will reveal, in the next two episodes, that Tywin did figure out that the cupbearer was Arya and had parked her in Harrenhal with instructions to Gregor to keep her safe and under control; but of course had not anticipated Arya's Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card with Jaquen Haqar. It's a bit murky; but so far the conclusion to the Tywin/Arya arc was sadly underwhelming. I did enjoy Tywin's masterful leavetaking of Harrenhal, with horses and red-cloaked Lannister troops.

i liked all the King's Landing scenes, and this was the first episode that made me like asha. overall it was a good episode, since i could feel the anticipation from tyrion and cersei and varys and bronn about the up.coming epic battle... is it sunday yet??!