Sign in to follow this  
Ran

[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Am I the only who feels like they'll have a ton to cram into the season finale given how all of episode 9 is devoted to Blackwater/KL?

No, I think so, too. I posted a big long list of these things upthread somewhere, if you can find it.

They have two major elements they need to complete: the House of the Undying and the Sack of Winterfell.

They also have a heaping megaton of denouement to get through, plus a few problems of their own creation, like Chekov’s Treasure Vault.

Anyone else want to see a show where Bronn, Tyrion, and Varys drive around the country in a van solving mysteries? Anyone? Because I would pay cash money for that.

Read this 12 hours ago,and I'm still laughing. :lmao:

Think it's funny how people apologize for the terribad Dany storyline by saying it "spices things up" and "gives her something to do", when absolutely nothing happened and they're just dragging things along. :)

I generally don't complain about the show's changes (I actually prefer some of them- e.g. the new and improve Qarth story), but I'm a little troubleed / concerned about a few: 1. No mention of Tyrion's giant chain? How will there be a Blackwater without the chain? Even if it's there, the build-up to the chain was one of the best parts of ACoK, and it really showed Tyrion's brilliance. 2. I didn't like Cat setting Jaime free before hearing of Bran and Rickon. It was the supposed death of her two sons that spurred her to free Jaime in the book. Freeing him before hearing of their deaths doesn't make as much sense. It seems out of character. Her act in the book was pure desparation. Here, there was no basis for such a rash act. 3. Why make Jeyne from Volantis?

I think that Catelyns actions in the series are more desparate and make even more sense than in the books, TBH

Hey, American viewers.

In case it hadn't occurred to you yet, you have the day after Blackwater off for Memorial Day. :cheers:

What will you be drinking?

Yes. As an earlier post mentioned, what's the point of turning her into some random foreigner?? I don't think it's at all true to character for Jeyne to be complicit in Robb's betrayal, but that would at least be better than some wandering nurse from Volantis. And for reals he's not at all worried about how this woman got to his camp, how she supports herself or WHO supports her and this brilliant military strategist has no qualms about sharing all this sensitive information with this strange, unsubstantiated girl? And to throw everything away on her not out of grief and guilt over his brothers but because he's on the outs with Mommy and the girl's brother almost died once when they were kids??? And while I'm at it, the Halfhand would never get captured. Period. And I don't think book Ygritte's nearly as smart as TV Ygritte, who's clearly already figured out what Qhorin's planning, though Jon probably hasn't, b/c TV Jon is a buffoon.

Quorin gets caught by the Wildlings in the book.

I don't see how anybody can think any of the episodes are boring. Most people call me a purist(even though I have like many of the changes, as long as they are done well), and even if I wish the show was more true to the book, I would never say any of the episodes are boring. No matter what, source material aside, it's still a good show. I watch every episode three times, and I have done the same with this episode, and not one episode on any of my rewatches, has ever been boring(and I have seen a lot of the episodes even more than three times).

Heh, me a purist, I think I got the term rolling here :) I like most of the changes they make. I didn't like not having Weasel Soup because it was my favorite part of the books and it was replaced with a very bland escape scene. After weeks of some of the best television I've seen in years, Arya leaves Harrenhal with a whimper. (her death #3 scene with Jaquen was perfect to be fair)

I watched the episode again with a non-reader. Rethoughts:

It probably wasn't as bad as I first thought, but still the worst episode I can remember, and I don't think I'm moving off my 4/10.

My mind had forgotten some of the better scenes. Theon and Yara was great and a perfect example of how to give a meaningful backstory. Such contrast to the drawn out, meaningless story told by Not-Jeyne.

Stannis/ Davos was better than I credited it.

Overall the problem still exists that this episode was pretty much meaningless filler. (and several of these filler moments were just awful scenes). What really happened in this episode? Two weeks of mostly filler and buildup. (Especially with the mediocre job done last week on the fake killing of BR). I don't understand how they can waste so much time in the series, when they don't have time for things which would be great to see. I can't think of anything which has happened in the past two episodes which couldn't have been simply cut or compressed into another episode. That's not to say I regret having watched them, there are still some scenes worth watching (more so last week than this week), but these episodes just seem such wastes when they seem to not have time for other things.

Hey, American viewers. In case it hadn't occurred to you yet, you have the day after Blackwater off for Memorial Day. :cheers: What will you be drinking?

A light Arbor gold.

Can anyone tell me who Theon's Bronn-looking right-hand nastyman is in the book?

The way i see them ending this series is either going to be;

1) ramsay sacking winterfell with Theon geting knocked to the ground/out "burn it all!"

2) Jon killing halfhand to join the wildings OR jon arriving at mance's camp

3) Dany entering the house of the undying OR burning it down.

considering majority of the budget went into blackwater though, my bet would be on Ramsay showing up at winterfell

also in regards to the chain, from what it looked like in the preview it seems like they've coated the water in wildfire and Bronn shoots a flaming arrow into it to ignite tje water and the ships. But thats just my assumption, could just be Bronn shooting someone :P

I didn't like not having Weasel Soup because it was my favorite part of the books and it was replaced with a very bland escape scene. After weeks of some of the best television I've seen in years, Arya leaves Harrenhal with a whimper. (her death #3 scene with Jaquen was perfect to be fair) I watched the episode again with a non-reader. Rethoughts: It probably wasn't as bad as I first thought, but still the worst episode I can remember

Precisely which non-existent set of northern forces that weren’t being held there as prisoners were you expecting Arya to bust out so they could take over Harranhall?

Precisely which non-existent set of northern forces that weren’t being held there as prisoners were you expecting Arya to bust out so they could take over Harranhall?

Well, they could have added some Northern forces for Arya to try and free, and used that time to spare us any more Robb Talisa scenes. Yeah, the whole Roose takeover was confusing in the books and would have been very difficult on the show, but they could have come up with something.

Well, they could have added some Northern forces for Arya to try and free, and used that time to spare us any more Robb Talisa scenes. Yeah, the whole Roose takeover was confusing in the books and would have been very difficult on the show, but they could have come up with something.

They did come up with something!

Similarly with Robb. They needed to do all that. The uxor ex machina bullshit in the book would have gone over like a lead balloon. It would have been justly ridiculed. What they did was much better.

I have totally drunk the Kool-aid. I think Dagmar is Ramsay. The mentions by Roose of his Bastard and sending him to Winterfell are misdirection, to make it more surprising when a crapload of Northern troops show up and the audience gets excited and think that Winterfell is saved and then they start taking orders from Dagmar and he tells them to burn the whole place to the ground and they kill everybody, Winterfellians and Iron Islanders and Maester Luwin and seemingly Theon. And then they identify him in some way as Roose's bastard, probably with a sort of dorky bit of dialogue. I don't know about the actors real ages, but I think i can buy Dagmar as looking like he could be Roose's son onscreen. Does it make sense? Not really. But I'm convinced.

Here is my guess of how the show will unfold...

Talisa is Jeyne. It will be revealed by her when they marry. That's when he Mom makes another deal, to make sure the Red Wedding takes place. Jeyne/Talisa has no part in that. She is in it with Roose, right now, she updates Tywin for him. They give each other sneaky looks whenever they go in and out of the tent...knowing looks. She isn't recognized in the Crag because she has a list of items she needs from her Maester, who is probably not going to spill who she is...that or she never leaves camp. The story she gives isn't hers, it's her Grandmas. No Weasel soup is needed, because Roose gets to take Harrenhall without incident, since he and Tywin are already together in this. He holds Harrenhall until Winterfell falls. Roose keeps mentiong Ramsay, because that is part of the plan. He needs to take Winterfell, it's the seat promised to him by Tywin.

Edited by chickenly

Just a side note...

I wonder what the Vegas odds were that after 8 episodes in we wouldn't have seen Emilia Clark (Dannerys), or Esme Bianco (Ros) naked?

I would have lost my house.

Obviously there was no mention of Tyrion's chain. However, did anyone notice the clanking sounds in the background during his scene with Bronn/Varys? It is very apparent at the start and somewhat noticeable towards the end. Wasn't there something in the books about the sound of the chain being made a constant noise throughout the city?

Maybe it was because I was anticipating seeing or hearing discussion of the chain, but it was the first thing I thought of when I heard that noise. Is there an obvious explanation for it/does anyone else hear it?

Fuck. I hate the possibility, but Dagmar did sort of kill Ser Rodrick in a roundabout way by all but forcing Theon to do it.

Maybe it will be handled well, but for now, Do Not Want.

And it's not because the guy playing Dagmar isn't doing a good job. It's just that I want to know fear like never before the first time I see The Bastard.

Quorin gets caught by the Wildlings in the book.

Been ages since I read it, but I remembered Jon and the Halfhand being cornered with no way out, not ever exactly captured. Could be wrong, though.