[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ran

Can we stop bitching about Robb and Talisa's scenes (I thoroughly enjoyed them tonight and completely understand the need to show Robb falling in love - esp. since they aged him up) and get to the matter at hand?

And we now have proof Joffrey was aged-up considerably as well. He's 17 in the show as opposed to 12-13 (I said he was 16-17 and people thought I was nuts).

The hottest chick on the show got NEKKID this week. Seriously. Oona is gorgeous. I may be girl-crushing. :drool:

You can't have her. She's mine. ;)

What's with the condescension? Your explanation doesn't exactly hold water. Jaime killed Karstark's son- in the book and in the show- long before Cat let him loose. Karstark could have murdered him long before. Karstark was in Riverrun in the book while Jaime was prisoner, after the Whispering Woods, yet didn't kill him. He didn't, because he was obeying Robb. In the book, Karstark goes psycho after Cat releases Lannister. Cat's rationale for releasing Jaime has nothing to with Karstark, and there's no absolute logic dictating that but for Cat's releasing him, he would have undoubtedly killed Jaime. It's a stretch.

My apologies for the condescension, but this has been argued to death by others, and my frustration leaked-into my post. Mea culpa. As for the argument, Karstark was gone with Robb when he marched, not in the camp, getting everybody drunk and riled-up to kill Jaime.

Okay, for everyone complaining about Robb and Jeyne let's set a few things straight. Last episode Robb was heading to the Crag to broker a surrender, Catelyn releases Jaime after he killed Torrhen Karstark. Fast forward to this episode, we see Robb, Jeyne and a group of soldiers traveling somewhere, outriders are sent to bring Robb back to his camp because the Kingslayer is released, Robb goes to his camp, yells at Catelyn, bones Jeyne, realizes he is in love. My guess is that Robb has yet to go to the Crag and Tarlisa will still reveal herself as Jeyne Westerling before going to the Crag to broker a surrender/marriage.

Ummmm - how the heck would Jeyne know anything about Volantis and slave cities. It didnt seem to be all common knowledge (eg tattoos) since Tyrion appears to be learning about it as he goes along in ADWD.

I'm gonna say they made a GREAT decision by replacing Jeyne since it doesnt take away from the rationale for the Red Wedding AND it gives them a chance to introduce the slave cities to us before dany gets there and stirs things up.

Did anyone else note the slip up the writers had in this episode?

Karstark - "I would carve out my heart and offer it to The Father if he would let my sons wake from their graves".

Karstark is a man of the North! A worshiper of the Weirwoods.

Not a mistake at all, as I see it. He's saying he'd worship even some foreign phony god if only that'd get his sons back.

I actually hadn't read Hitfix before. I love that there is an explicity ban on book purists posting in the comment thread LOL.

It's a spoiler thing for people who haven't read the books. His earlier reviews had people posting things like. "Wow Joffrey is a jerk...can't wait until he dies in book 3!!!"

Ummmm - how the heck would Jeyne know anything about Volantis and slave cities. It didnt seem to be all common knowledge (eg tattoos) since Tyrion appears to be learning about it as he goes along in ADWD. I'm gonna say they made a GREAT decision by replacing Jeyne since it doesnt take away from the rationale for the Red Wedding AND it gives them a chance to introduce the slave cities to us before dany gets there and stirs things up.
Well it takes away the fact that Jeyne's mum schemed with Tywin and that ultimately led to the collaboration between Walder and Tywin.

@ DVD ROTS re the preview of the Battle of the Blackwater, Yes! Yes!

Last week’s episode was the one I got kinda disgusted with – too “soap-operay”, but liked this one a lot. As per usual, it flew by and I could not believe it was over already when they started showing the credits. Except I still claim the soap-opera dub for Jeyne W./Talisha, whoever - she was such a strong character before this episode, but that was a pitifully weak tale she told about her brother...Corn!

• Loved the tender moment Asha/Yara had with Theon about when he smiled at her as an infant, however brief; but also liked her giving him hell about the [supposed] killing/taring of Bran and Rickon. Both of these scenes make me like her a lot, which I never did in the books.
  • I do hate to see the better part of Quorin Half-Hand’s scenes/role taken away. One of my very favorite characters, and HBO watchers will never know/appreciate him a fraction of what he’s due
  • So glad we've got M. Luwin safely down in the caverns
  • So glad Varys is back
  • Loved the speech Robb gave to his mom
  • Love that the Brienne/Jaime scenes have started
  • Looks like we’ll be out of Quarth soon – thank the seven! Though I am anxious to revisit what she sees in the House of the Undying – at that point in the book, I don’t think I knew enough to ‘get’ even a tenth of it.
  • Can't wait for the SanSan scene, maybe next week?
  • Haven't been reading articles about the episodes -- guess we won't see the Red Wedding until Season 3?

Loved reading all the other posts - what a great group of fans!

:cheers:

Edited by House of White and White

Westerlings were Lannister bannermen which is why the Mom conspired with Tywin once the marriage happened. But Robb TOOK the crag, so they were his. And Jeyne never acted as if her romnce with Robb was anything but the real thing.

Robb conquered their castle. It was their choice to turn their cloaks and become his subjects, rather than his prisoners.

It's a spoiler thing for people who haven't read the books. His earlier reviews had people posting things like. "Wow Joffrey is a jerk...can't wait until he dies in book 3!!!"

I get there, but there is a clear undercurrent (practically an undertow) of "shut up about the books because I don't care".

Translated: I didn't watch it, yet have an opinion anyway.

Translated: I watched a half an hour of it, thought it boring, turned it off, and my opinion is that it was boring and somewhat disjointed for the half an hour I did watch, which was bad. :shocked:

Ummmm - how the heck would Jeyne know anything about Volantis and slave cities. It didnt seem to be all common knowledge (eg tattoos) since Tyrion appears to be learning about it as he goes along in ADWD. I'm gonna say they made a GREAT decision by replacing Jeyne since it doesnt take away from the rationale for the Red Wedding AND it gives them a chance to introduce the slave cities to us before dany gets there and stirs things up.

You make a very interesting point. I certainly didn’t know squiddly-dot about Volantis before reading Dance. It sounded like some flying version of Atlantis (flying < “♬ Volare, Whoa oh oh oh! ♬”).

Translated: I watched a half an hour of it, thought it boring, turned it off, and my opinion is that it was boring and somewhat disjointed for the half an hour I did watch, which was bad. :shocked:

That was a long-winded way of saying "You're right".

Episode was boring...I hate Catelyn Stark, she starts this whole war capturing Tyrion which gets her husband killed, and then betrays her son which assists in getting him killed.

Anyone know why they don't just call Theon's Sister Asha? Doesn't really make a difference just odd.

Really wished they would have at least shown Dany at the HOTU and accomplished something this episode besides pure set up.

Episode was boring...I hate Catelyn Stark, she starts this whole war capturing Tyrion which gets her husband killed, and then betrays her son which assists in getting him killed. Anyone know why they don't just call Theon's Sister Asha? Doesn't really make a difference just odd. Really wished they would have at least shown Dany at the HOTU and accomplished something this episode besides pure set up.

Avoid confusion with Asha and Osha.