[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ran

Rather hard to dig through permafrost.

The Weeper managed, though it was a lot of work, and I suppose with the snow it wouldnt be necessary.

Anyway, who says it is permafrost? they have crops and livestock out there.

I'm glad they shored up Bran's plot line to match the book more. Who knows, maybe we will still meet the Reed siblings. Will we catch a glimpse of the strange dragon-creature that Summer sees?

I am crossing my fingers for a proper HotU scene, that was my favorite chapter of the entire series.

I wouldn't worry about Arya, the last episode is called "Valar Morghulis"

The Weeper managed, though it was a lot of work, and I suppose with the snow it wouldnt be necessary. Anyway, who says it is permafrost? they have crops and livestock out there.

Not permafrost by Castle Black. But yes permafrost in the Frostfangs, whither they’ve relocated the First of the Fist Men.

I'm glad they shored up Bran's plot line to match the book more. Who knows, maybe we will still meet the Reed siblings. Will we catch a glimpse of the strange dragon-creature that Summer sees? I am crossing my fingers for a proper House of the Undying scene, that was my favorite chapter of the entire series. I wouldn't worry about Arya, the last episode is called "Valar Morghulis"

I wouldn’t bet on seeing any fantastical visions.

I'm having zero problems with Jeyne Westerling/Talisa switch. We hardly ever met Jeyne in the books and even when we did it was sort of abrupt - yesterday, Robb was warring at Westerlands and all of a sudden - bam! - he's married. Such thing would never work in film, they had to establish something for the girl to make this turn believable. I'm pretty sure we'll find out why they made her Talisa from Volantis and not Jeyne Westerling from Crag, they will never leave it without explanation, it's just ahead of us.

On the other hand in the books this affair happens AFTER and BECAUSE of the news Robb hears about his brothers, Jeyne comforts him. That was a way more better explanation to abandon his debt to Freys, then some random story about Volantis kids. Producers could easily recreate same reasoning with current Talisa.

Edited by Alboin

About House of the Undying: I am pretty sure it wont live up to my expectations without mushrooms or something.

It is a trippy place, isn’t it? You might want to check into a nip of shade of the evening before you watch it; it certainly helped Dany. ; }

The actress playing Dany said that fans wouldn’t be disappointed. Of course she’s utterly wrong in that, because we know that is completely impossible with this crowd.

But it gives some small measure of hope.

It might just be me, but I feel like Roose gives Talisa/Jeyne a knowing look every time he passes her when Robb can't see his face.

It's clear that she bothers him and he sees what's coming and perhaps might already be thinking ahead like the crafty bastard he is. Foreshadowing at its best. Nicely done.

I didn't even mind Ros, but I'm trying to figure out why Cersei thinks she's Tyrion's girl.

Because of the necklace he gave her in episode 1.

It’s truly remarkable for how many the experience of having read the books has made watching the show a source for such pathetic misery and abject despair, dead ashes in their mouths instead of the joy that everyone else gets from it.

(... and yadda yadda yadda)

Trust me, you've seen nothing. You should have seen the Sword Of Truth forum when the show aired - it was enormous. I think people on this board are very civilized in voicing the gripes they have with the show and should have the right to voice these without being shot down as 'bloody purists'.

Edited by StannisandDaeny

It's official, Ros is the Kilroy of Westeros. I'm debating whether or not I should start a thread about how instrumental Ros was to every mystery in the story. I resented the character, I struggled against her...but like a stockholm syndrom victim, I embraced her and began to love it.

Who hid the Dragonglass in the Fist of Men? Ros, of course.

Also, three guesses as to who is under Qualithe's mask.

(Also, an excellent episode mostly because it had interactions between my favorite banter couples...Tyrion/Bronn, Davos/Stannis, Jaime/Brienne. I had to go lie down after all that)

I'm having zero problems with Jeyne Westerling/Talisa switch. We hardly ever met Jeyne in the books and even when we did it was sort of abrupt - yesterday, Robb was warring at Westerlands and all of a sudden - bam! - he's married. Such thing would never work in film, they had to establish something for the girl to make this turn believable. I'm pretty sure we'll find out why they made her Talisa from Volantis and not Jeyne Westerling from Crag, they will never leave it without explanation, it's just ahead of us. On the other hand in the books this affair happens AFTER and BECAUSE of the news Robb hears about his brothers, Jeyne comforts him. That was a way more better explanation to abandon his debt to Freys, then some random story about Volantis kids. Producers could easily recrerate same reasoning with current Talisa.

I think they switched her just so they could have her within his camp. That way, they could have multiple scenes building their relationship up.

Loved the episode. Best one so far :)

I was thinking about the writers decision to hide Bran's and Rickon's "deaths" from Robb and Cathelyn. I know this is quite controversial but it makes sense for me from a tv show point of view. I know a lot of people thinks this change affected their motivations as characters but:

1. How would we believe Robb could be romantically involved with someone right after finding out both their brothers are dead? If you have pages and pages of inner dialoge or if you just don't have to show it it's easier but I agree with the people saying we need to see Robb's falling in love. I just can't imagine any believable "love" scene after that. And (in my patetic opinion) I guess thats the main reason they changed it.

2. But I guess this also works for Cathelyn. I agree that makes a lot of sense to free Jaime as a desperate act after finding out two of your sons are dead but works as well to know they are captive and the Kingslayer isn't going to survive the night. Then, what was going to happen with their daughers? It seems good enough for me.

Can't wait for Blackwater!

Edit: grammar

Edited by Lord Balbi

Trust me, you've seen nothing. You should have seen the Sword Of Truth forum when the show aired - it was enormous. I think people on this board are very civilized in voicing the gripes they have with the show and should have the right to voice these without being shot down as 'bloody purists'.

You do realize that telling the Heavenly vacationer that he supposed to enjoy his rotten sojourn in Purgatory because “hey look, it isn’t Hell”, is no real encouragement, don’t you?

Yes, that's why the first part is more like a joke (it *was* funny), and the second is what I'm really thinking. I don't think people are as negative as you're making it out to be.

@ Versiroth: Yes, I believe what Alboin is saying is that he doesn't mind that at all, but that he does mind the decision of Robb to bang her of his own accord (rather than Jeyne wanting to 'comfort' him) before even 'finding out' Bran and Rickon are dead (like most of us do). It just destroys a lot of sympathy you could have possibly had for the Starks that they take the decisions that lead to their doom without the emotional devastation that news caused them. It also destroys the possibility it was a Westerling plot all along (I always felt that way, what with Jeyne not getting pregnant and the Wolf not trusting them).

"Robb and Talisa or whoever - meh. I don't see what we gain from this." Man I really really really don't understand people who are saying this. What we gain from this is a path to what could be one of the most amazing scenes on TV ever. Rob just can't show up and be married without us seeing how it happens. It has to be passionate as breaking his vow is a very, very big deal. So what we're seeing with Rob and Talisa/Jeyne and Cat releasing Jamie is set up for the Red Wedding. This stuff is ESSENTIAL for people who haven't read the books.

I'm good with him falling in love, and I'm good with the actress, I just don't see why they had to change her from Jeyne Westerling to Talisa-the-Free-Cities-Doctor chick. I don't see what we gain from THAT. I agree he needs to fall in love with whatever girl he breaks his Frey promise for.

I'm good with him falling in love, and I'm good with the actress, I just don't see why they had to change her from Jeyne Westerling to Talisa-the-Free-Cities-Doctor chick. I don't see what we gain from THAT. I agree he needs to fall in love with whatever girl he breaks his Frey promise for.

She's the SLAVE cities chick - that's why

@ Vienna: They changed her because it would make no sense for an enemy lady to be roaming around the camp (Bad Things Might Happen to her) and Robb needed some dialogue with her leading up to breaking her vows. The real problem is that Robb comes off as a big idiot seeking her out himself.