[Book Spoilers] EP 209 Discussion

Ran

This was just such an epic brilliant episode which surpassed my expectations!! Cheers hbo you did a beautiful job!!! And george of course wrote pure gold! The actors delivered as we all knew they would and it was just beyond greatnes x) loved cersei drunk with sansa and tommen and lancel. Loved tyrion and sandor/bronn and sansa/joff's sword, stannis, davos everyone was brilliant. Even shae and pod! But as a devoted lover of san/san I was amazed by rory's work tonight and of sophie's. Every scene they were in was fantastoc! The hound even told joff what he deserbed and got away with it! Yes!! And now about the san/san moment: sandor's face as he wants to make sansa see that men are bad was just like the sandor in the books in that scene on the rooftop before the battle. And sansa's face as she asks him if he won't harm her was making me cry (if she had just cupped his cheek then I would forgive a little the lack of song and white cloak abscence) but I liked how they put the doll ned gave her in the scene for 2 reasons. Ned wanted to marry sansa to someone who was brave and gentle and strong and sandor is all those things.. And also cause so far ned was I guess to sansa the main guy in her heart or something, and she had felt safe with her dad, but to see her sort of leaving the doll behind to follow sandor just hints at my hopefuly heart that this scenario will repeat itself in later books were alayne stone or sansa as a queen in the north sort of thing does not know who to trust only to have sandor coming back and her recalling he will never hurt her <3 I have to watch it again and write this from somewhere that's not my phone though

Sorry, but can someone please explain the "chain" sequence that was left out? I've all the books (I swear) but I read the battle of the blackwater somewhat hastily, anxious to see what would happen, and don't recall exactly what a chain had to do with the battle. A literal metal chain? A chain of ships? What was it?

Tyrion had commissioned all the blacksmiths in KL to forge great chain links. He then hid the chain beneath the mouth of the Blackwater, with two large towers on either side. Once most of Stannis ships were past the chain, it was raised to keep them from escaping into the bay when the wildfire was let loose. In the books it wasn't a ship loaded with wildfire, the royal fleet was still there and fighting (to lure Stannis' fleet in), and then pots of wildfire were thrown from the battlements. The chain was instrumental in keeping any ships (but a few) from escaping

EDIT: Ckal beat me to it.

Edited by Tsavong Lah

Best episode of the season (and I doubt the next will top it since we are going back to Qarth...and I doubt they will nail the HoU correctly.) I figured the chain was being cast aside for a large wildfire explosion but I thought they'd use it to just trap the ships...not cause destruction that massive....amazing!

I do wish they had given Pod at least 1 or 2 scenes throughout the season to add a little something more to his saving of Tyrion. Ser Dontos also probably wasn't even noticed by the majority of non-book readers since he has never reappeared since the 1st episode. Finally, if they had just put a little more effort into showing Renly in some really unique armor earlier in the season then the arrival of the "ghost" would have held some weight. As it was, my father looked at me and said, "who is this now?" Even after they showed Loras and Tywin he had no idea Loras was wearing Renly's armor.

I loved every second of this episode. You could really tell GRRM wrote it, not just from the awesome dialogue and scenes, but also the little things, like all of the characters brought back that probably would have been cut by other writers (we saw both Mandon and Boros, although it looks like they used a Stannis soldier instead of Mandon to cut Tyrion down, unless I'm mistaken). I also liked the use of lots of unnamed characters playing roles. Who was that head archer? Or the guy who accompanied Sandor in the beginning? They probably have names or match with minor characters in George's mind, it's a pity we'll never know who they really were.

Awesome episode all around.

Oh and where the hell is Sallador Sahn? Why establish him as a character being recruited for attacking King's Landing and then not even have him there?

I was thinking the same thing. My guess is that they introduced him to find Davos on the Blackwater and then take him back to Dragonstone.This will probably happen next week.

I loved every second of this episode. You could really tell GRRM wrote it, not just from the awesome dialogue and scenes, but also the little things, like all of the characters brought back that probably would have been cut by other writers (we saw both Mandon and Boros, although it looks like they used a Stannis soldier instead of Mandon to cut Tyrion down, unless I'm mistaken). I also liked the use of lots of unnamed characters playing roles. Who was that head archer? Or the guy who accompanied Sandor in the beginning? They probably have names or match with minor characters in George's mind, it's a pity we'll never know who they really were.

Awesome episode all around.

I thought it was pretty clear that it was a member of the Kingsguard that slashed Tyrion. Tyrion first had that sigh of relief that he was there, then got a curious look on his face, then wham. Down.

Fantastic episode. Someone give an Emmy to Lena Heady, she stole the episode and was 100% Cersei. Sophie Turner was also wonderful. They're really coming into their roles, it's so nice to see.

I wish the previous episodes had shown Ser Dontos and his note to Sansa to explain why she wouldn't go with the Hound. Of course, she just might not want to go with the Hound because he's a drunken brute... ;) but still, I'm annoyed at the lack of Ser Dontos this season, though that's not really a problem with this episode. Speaking of which, was that him juggling?? At first I thought "hey, it's Moonboy" but someone on WiC said it was Ser Dontos. He flashed by so quickly I didn't even recognize him. :lol:

It's funny, just a few weeks ago I was thinking Jaqen and Shae have similar accents, but never even considered they may be from the same place(that is if he really is from Lorath like he claims).

Hah, well come to think of it, both actors are German... ;)

Great Episode! It just flew by. Surprised to see Joff bust out the Valaryian sword. Surprised Lightbringer looked so ordinary except it just took off half that guys head. How can Stannis escape this? Can't wait to find out.

Nitpick: Hearteater isn't a Valyrian sword, it's just a normal sword. Widow's Wail is the Valyrian sword he gets as a wedding gift from Tywin (who melted down Ice :( to make it and Oathkeeper).

I thought it was pretty clear that it was a member of the Kingsguard that slashed Tyrion. Tyrion first had that sigh of relief that he was there, then got a curious look on his face, then wham. Down.

That was my first thought but then i rewatched that scene and the fellow looked like he was wearing armor completely different from a kingsguard's. But I could be wrong.

I figured they would have changed it because it would be confusing to non-book watchers, since there was no build up to a possible betrayal.

Such a good episode. I was nervous the whole way through, even knowing everything that was going to happen.

Awesome things:

Cersei. Being a psychopath. So good.

Davos as battle commander - and his last yell back to Matthos.

All the shots of the wildfire, and ships burning. Even better than I'd pictured them in my head.

Everything with Bronn. Especially the brothel scene between him and the Hound. I'd watch a whole episode of Bronn and the Hound.

Everything with Tyrion. Just...Tyrion.

Sansa was really well fleshed out in this episode, and true to her character evolution in the books.

The one thing I missed was Sandor's "A hound will die for you, but never lie to you" line. I know he says it much earlier in the book, but when he didn't a few episodes ago I'd hoped they'd include it here. Not a SanSan fan, just love that line. Oh well.

That better and more brutal than I anticipated. Looked wonderful! I was hoping The Hound would demand Sansa to sing him a song and that he would be really drunk and give her his cloak, but that's minor. We got the point he has a thing for her....or is he just a nice guy.....? Haha

He gave her his cloak earlier in the season and he hasn't worn it since that I have noticed.

It was Ser Mandon

Yes, I was just responding to the user who said they didn't think it was the Kingsguard.

That was my first thought but then i rewatched that scene and the fellow looked like he was wearing armor completely different from a kingsguard's. But I could be wrong.

I figured they would have changed it because it would be confusing to non-book watchers, since there was no build up to a possible betrayal.

Hmm well I would have to say it was definitely the Kingsguard, and namingly Ser Mandon. Ser Mandon's name was used several times in the episode and it was him and Ser Boros that Joffrey sent out with Tyrion.

Well to be honest, we didn't expect this at all in the book either. It took us completely by surprise. We don't really understand until we read some Tyrion POV's in ASOS thathe thinks it was Cersei who had Ser Mandon try to kill him.

He gave her his cloak earlier in the season and he hasn't worn it since that I have noticed.

Yeah after that scene I figured it wouldn't happen, but I was wondering if he would have gotten his cloak back before this episode. I guess it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to give it to her twice...

Uh-Maze-Ing

They seriously must have allocated their entire budget to film that episode. Given the way they've skimped on battles, I did NOT expect it to be that epic. That puts a lot of blockbuster movies to shame. Combined with the dialog and the fact GRRM wrote this episode and preserved everything that was awesome, this was one of the best hours of television ever.

I think my favorite aspect of that episode..and there were many great ones.....was Stannis leading the charge and showing what a badass he is. I think GRRM wanted to really illustrate to us since he hadn't really had a chance to do that in the books as much.

I could watch this episode 3 times in a row as much as I hate the outcome.

Onions4all-

I agree about GRRM and Stannis and I've already watched the ep twice. I'm sure I'll watch it again tmrw =)

My brother was so upset after watching it. He hates the Lannisters (well mainly Cersei and Joffrey, he likes Tywin and Tyrion). I haven't seen him that upset since Ned Stark misplaced his head....

Edited by ckal