[Book Spoilers] EP 209 Discussion

Ran

NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL AN EPISODE!!!

That wildfire explosion was something! My jaw just dropped and fell and rolled on the floor and I took my time to pick it up... Beautiful!!! Money very well spent :thumbsup:

Stannis grin, all the (few) Davos moments, every Tyrion scene, Cersei's story to Tommen (fucking amazing, I got the chills and teary eyes when she was speaking)... I'm totally speechless!

And I loved the last scene when Loras was using Renly's armour (of course they wouldn't waste an actor for Garlan when they could to this)... and Bronn and the men singing the Reynes of Castamere was really nice, I say!

Excellent episode all the way! :D :D :D

I really had some problems with the last two or three episodes, but this made up for them million times! Yes, the wildfire scene was result of cheap simplification but it was totally with the spirit of adaptation so far and effective nonetheless. Though, if I understand corectly, this means royal fleet wasn´t destroyed and thus would be actually ready at least siege Dragonstone?

Yeah, I know. It's really no big deal. I like to hear what you guys have to say.

Rosebud is a sled.

I just wonder if the Hound will have his transformation complete with Arya. They may skip that and have her Jarquen moment (in the preview) lead directly to Bravos/

I am thinking we see Arya get grabbed by the Hound as her last moment of episode 10.

Right! Was he wearing the antlered crown? Wihtout reading the books that was unknowable.

He's not wearing the antlered crown, he is wearing a helmet with a small stag sigil on the front. I don't think he's wearing the same armor, compare the still on page 6 with the shots of Renly at the meeting, the distinct piece of Renly's armor (the gold piece under his neck) is not visible.

I have to give it too them on this episode. Sure i can nitpick some things but they really came through. Did they need fire arrows? No but they just looked so cool it had to be done that way. Of particular importance to me was showing that Tyrion had some brilliant ideas for the defense of the city considering they couldn't have the chain. They had the boat full of wildfire with Bronn lighting it with a magnificent shot. Him working with Varys to find another way out to the mudgate worked as well. I still liked the original storyline better but with the limitations they were facing they still got the main character points right on. Thats how you adapt. Somethings bothered me this season but I was truly satisfied with this episode.

I really had some problems with the last two or three episodes, but this made up for them million times! Yes, the wildfire scene was result of cheap simplification but it was totally with the spirit of adaptation so far and effective nonetheless. Though, if I understand corectly, this means royal fleet wasn´t destroyed and thus would be actually ready at least siege Dragonstone?

Well they sure as heck aren't gonna be casting any Redwynes.

Edited by DurararaFTW

Watched the scene on HBO Go to see if they talk about it. They say it's Renly's armor, but oddly the only two ways you could identify it, the crown (Loras is wearing a helm) and the gold piece under the neck (which is only visible slightly under cloth) are not shown. Renly also wore cloth across his front armor, but under the gold piece, so you could see it. Odd choice to do something, but make it completely unviewable. Also odd from watching it closely, the stag horns appear much larger in the brief glimpse we have of Loras on the battlefield fighting, they seem to actually go outside the helm, but in the still and in the throne room (where he takes it off), it appears to just be a small sigil imprinted on the helm.

On a side note, does anyone know how to force a higher resolution on HBO go? My goes back and forth from high to low.

Minor complaint : When I read the battle, I pictured a true inferno of flames, as if they were caught fighting inside a furnace. It made the Hound's fear a little more believable. Here he was like "aah a burning guy! I must flee!"

Other than that, awesome episode. Stannis being in the thick of the action was a brilliant idea and the Wildfire explosion was pretty damn cool.

Now that's an adaptation! That's what I've been wanting to see all season and haven't. Staying true to the characters and the spirit of the book while not only adapting to a visual medium, but creating an exquisite viewing experience.

It can be done and he did it. If only he'd written them all.

Edited by Le Cygne

Minor complaint : When I read the battle, I pictured a true inferno of flames, as if they were caught fighting inside a furnace. It made the Hound's fear a little more believable. Here he was like "aah a burning guy! I must flee!"

Other than that, awesome episode. Stannis being in the thick of the action was a brilliant idea and the Wildfire explosion was pretty damn cool.

I think that was as Martin talked about writing fantasy and human actuality. Such as in the book The Wheelhouse being too big to fit into Winterfell's main gates, but in reality constructing it would be way too costly.

If the fire was a nasty as it was in the books technically the suffocating fumes would have made life in King's Landing improbable folks would have been indoors and the battle would have ceased, the heat, the air . . nothing would have happened at that point both sides would have to stand back. I thought tonight's battle episode was realistic, huge flames, but not over done, fire, blood, and sword. The three battle elements of Martin's wonderful song.

Without them showing Sansa meeting with Dontos in the godswood, and him "planning to take her home", it was a little weird that she didn't go with Sandor. Especially because he said he would keep her safe and take her home to Winterfell. I mean right after that, Sansa said you won't hurt me, as a statement, so of she didn't think Sandor would hurt her, then why not go with him?

I liked seeing Stannis as a total badass, despite it being out of character, but at the same time I didn't like it. They showed Stannis kicking ass non stop, and he never got hurt, and he wasn't even wearing a helmet. I don't like how they are making him seem invincible because he "sold his soul to a demon". I really didn't like it when Varys was talking to Tyrion, and he said, "the dark arts have provided Lord Stannis with his army's and paved his path to our door. For a man in service to such powers to sit on the Iron Throne, I can think of nothing worse, and tonight I believe you are the only man who can stop him".

They are making Stannis seem like the evil monster, and Tyrion the galant white knight, and it's ridiculous. Stannis isn't evil, and Tyrion is not the perfect hero come to save the day. They are both suppose to be grey characters, and it would be much more interesting if they were actually like that in the show. Grey characters fighting grey characters is much more interesting than this black and white shit. Stannis is not evil, and neither is Melisandre, I don't get why they are making them out to be.

And what I really don't get is that GRRM wrote this episode, and yet there are still these black and white characters. I mean it was dumb for Dan and Dave to do it in all the previous episodes, but for GRRM to do it also... That's just baffling to me, I really do not understand it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved this episode, and I think it was the best of the series. Sophie Turner has gotten so tall and beautiful, and she did so freaking good this episode. Sophie Turner's facial expressions were so good when she said, "I'm sorry, your Grace. You're right, I'm stupid. Of course you'll be in the vanguard. They say my brother Robb always goes where the fighting is thickest. And he is only a pretender". She totally schooled Joffrey in that scene. I can't express how much I loved it, and how good she did.

I also really liked the dialogue between Sansa and Tyrion.

(Sansa) "I will pray for your safe return my Lord."

(Tyrion) "Will you?"

(Sansa) "Just as I pray for the King's"

And she gave the slightest of smiles as she said "just as I pray for the King's", I was truly cheering for Sansa.

It was hilarious how Joffrey was having Sandor talk to Tyrion, and Tyrion was having Lancel talk to Sandor, and Sandor talk to Joffrey.

I definitely believe the Bronn and Sandor stand off was GRRM tossing the fans a bone. Both of them where so badass.

(Sandor) "your just like me... Only smaller"

(Bronn) "and quicker, ehh?."

Gods those two were badass.I loved how Bronn shot the guy on fire coming at Sandor. They both had such good lines. Who was the guy that walked in and sat down with Sandor?

I also really loved the lines between Tyrion and Bronn.

(Bronn) "don't get killed"

(Tyrion) "nor you my friend"

(Bronn) "oh, are we friends now?"

(Tyrion) "of course we are. Just because I pay you for your services doesn't diminish our friendship"

(Bronn) "enhances it, really"

(Tyrion) "oh enhances. Fancy word for a Sellsword"

(Bronn) "been spending time with fancy folks"

Truly golden.

And what was up with Cersei's corset/breastplate thing? It was as useless as boobs on a breastplate...ok I am done...(I know the saying is "useless as nipples on a breastplate", but Cersei literally had boobs on hers)

Bit of a shame Davos got knocked off early, but eh. It did add to the "menace," I suppose, having Stannis's main man out of action for the waning moments of the fight.

Still. He looked badass flying off Black Betha with his cape snapping...

Davos is the man, ser. It is so f**** known -_-

@Ghost714 That was the only time that Joffrey and Tyrion were ever in agreement. Joffrey and Tyrion both were, "Sandor, get out there and get to fighting, you like killing, you like fighting, go out there and do both!" They need to add a new "swag" The Sandor walk off Swag . .

Edited by ServantOnIce

Could someone link me the names of Season 3 episodes. Trying to figure out whether the red wedding will be in the next season.

I don't think they've been released other than Martin's episode, which is 7, Autumn Storms.

Without them showing Sansa meeting with Dontos in the godswood, and him "planning to take her home", it was a little weird that she didn't go with Sandor. Especially because he said he would keep her safe and take her home to Winterfell. I mean right after that, Sansa said you won't hurt me, as a statement, so of she didn't think Sandor would hurt her, then why not go with him?

They changed it to Shea's explaining how she will be safe when Stannis takes the keep. Which makes complete sense, Stannis would not hurt Sansa, he would treat her as a valuable, high-born lady hostage. To be honest, to be in KL, as a valuable hostage of Stannis might be one of the most secure places you could be during this war

Edited by legba11

The bit where the main theme played as Charles Dance entered...sooo~ perfect. Charles looked so majestic in spite of appearing for like 5 seconds.

Oh, and Stannis~ why so badass? He was practically the only one fighting on the wall! :bowdown: :bowdown: