[Book Spoilers] EP 209 Discussion

Ran

Quick question about the Rains of Castamere. Were the lyrics of the song ever mentioned in the books? I always remember at feasts like Joff's wedding that the song would be played, but I don't remember a specific instance where the lyrics were spelt out. Anyone have an idea?

The Red Wedding.

Bronn's reaching for his dagger to fight Sandor. Just great, Bronn knows he shouldn't go sword to sword with the bigger man in a crowded brothel, he is going to use a small weapon.

Maybe I'll have to watch it again. After Bronn saved the Dog's life, poof he just kind of vanishes, or he was left outside the gate?

Wouldn't Bronn be commanding the Gold Cloaks , who after all have the most fighting men in KL?*

Lotta little short things like that which I would have included.

Now Lena gave a Emmy winner this episode, but I could see where many two min. could have been chipped off her screen time , still giving her a ton of stuff. Added some other dialog.

Example , the did away with Ser Imry Florent , fine, still have Davos suggest to Stannis , as in the novel to Imry, that they have Salador Sahn send one of his swift ships to recon for a trap, Stannis turns him down. I don't remember if Stannis found out about this later, but it makes Davos look like a genius.

Lucian Msamati's contract for one episode only?

Am guessing he will be Davos's rescuer first episode S3.

*I could never figure out from the books why , even under Robert, and especially after Robert, why there was not a military garrison at KL? With a competent military commander. It's not in the books that I know of. I don't count the Gold Cloaks since they seem more like the police.

Robert could have served that comander purpose, but after him , surely Tywin would have known Joffrey, even if he wasn't an idiot, was way too green. If Jamie had of been there would have fallen to him, but that's out.

I know , i know, makes Tryion predicament more dramatic ... still with the odds he could have played the same role.

It seemed most of the men Tryion led were Lannister soldiers, hard to see the Hound commanding them...nor Bronn either, they didn't really seem to have some kind of Lannister officer in charge.

That Wildfire looks like some effective stuff.. makes you wonder how the Others would react to it. Install some catapults with that stuff on the wall, and tada?

It's a substitute for dragon fire, so ... makes ya wonder ,...?

Quick question about the Rains of Castamere. Were the lyrics of the song ever mentioned in the books? I always remember at feasts like Joff's wedding that the song would be played, but I don't remember a specific instance where the lyrics were spelt out. Anyone have an idea?

In A Storm of Swords An Arya Chapter I Can't recall which , Tom o'Seven Strings (who had his tongue cut out on the TV show) sings to Arya.

Edited by Lord Rickard Snow

In A Storm of Swords An Arya Chapter I Cant recall which , Tom o'Seven Strings (who had his tougne out in the TV show) sings to Arya

No, I'm pretty sure its Marmillion (or whatever he's called, Lysa's favourite singer) who gets his toung cut out.

Other small things to add: The shot of Tywin, Loras and their forces arriving at the battle was beautiful, as was the giant green fireball.

And I had almost forgot the obnoxious names Joffrey gives his swords

No, I'm pretty sure its Marmillion (or whatever he's called, Lysa's favourite singer) who gets his toung cut out.

Other small things to add: The shot of Tywin, Loras and their forces arriving at the battle was beautiful, as was the giant green fireball.

And I had almost forgot the obnoxious names Joffrey gives his swords

Ah yes Marmillion those bloody singers..

I Shouted aloud when Podrick Saved The Half, Almost Quarter, man

it's almost as if we don't need a season finale....almost

W o w @ that first explosion shot of the green flames. Who says TV shows can't do Hollywood style epic battles right ?

Great acting from Tyrion, Cersei and the Hound. I forgot how much Stannis rocks. Why did Cersei want to be killed by Payne...Stannis may be a lot of things but I don't believe he'd hurt her.

And of course the final line was great, along with "let's go kill them!" speech from Tyrion.

You know, I still can't believe this is real. Not just the fact there's a show or that it's so awesome, but that it's so huge. ASOIAF defies all the set 'laws and principles' for story-writing that have made a lot of books and movies such a dull affair. George proves that you don't have to be mainstream to be good, that you should give the people what they *need* instant of what they want, and for that I can only say hats off to the man.

Quick question: towards at the end when the Lannister men turn over the boat on fire, right before Tyrion curses when more Stannis's men with Loras arrive, what are they shouting ? "Tywinn ! Tywinn!" or something else ?

Edited by starki

Great acting from Tyrion, Cersei and the Hound. I forgot how much Stannis rocks. Why did Cersei want to be killed by Payne...Stannis may be a lot of things but I don't believe he'd hurt her.

Stannis' "honor" would compel him to burn the Lannisters who betrayed his (older) brother. Just look at what he did to his own (younger) brother who "betrayed" him.

Burn Joffrey and Tyrion and Jamie and Tywinn, no doubt. But Cersei ? I don't know...

Cersei was the worst. She directly betrayed her husband and liege lord and put the bastard on the throne. Jaime only betrayed his liege lord. Tyrion did neither.

Maybe I'll have to watch it again. After Bronn saved the Dog's life, poof he just kind of vanishes, or he was left outside the gate?

Wouldn't Bronn be commanding the Gold Cloaks , who after all have the most fighting men in KL?*

Lotta little short things like that which I would have included.

Now Lena gave a Emmy winner this episode, but I could see where many two min. could have been chipped off her screen time , still giving her a ton of stuff. Added some other dialog.

Example , the did away with Ser Imry Florent , fine, still have Davos suggest to Stannis , as in the novel to Imry, that they have Salador Sahn send one of his swift ships to recon for a trap, Stannis turns him down. I don't remember if Stannis found out about this later, but it makes Davos look like a genius.

Lucian Msamati's contract for one episode only?

Am guessing he will be Davos's rescuer first episode S3.

*I could never figure out from the books why , even under Robert, and especially after Robert, why there was not a military garrison at KL? With a competent military commander. It's not in the books that I know of. I don't count the Gold Cloaks since they seem more like the police.

Robert could have served that comander purpose, but after him , surely Tywin would have known Joffrey, even if he wasn't an idiot, was way too green. If Jamie had of been there would have fallen to him, but that's out.

I know , i know, makes Tryion predicament more dramatic ... still with the odds he could have played the same role.

It seemed most of the men Tryion led were Lannister soldiers, hard to see the Hound commanding them...nor Bronn either, they didn't really seem to have some kind of Lannister officer in charge.

Vylarr is the name of the Captain of the Red Cloaks..

Definitely, it's an easter egg, nothing more. It's not much of a plot point anyway but those little nods to the book fans are nice. There's no way that any non-book reader would think of Renly at that point.

Good point! I just wonder if they could have done so with different editing. E.g. a closeup of the rider on the white horse focussing on the antlered crown. A reaction shot of a Stannis soldier shouting "i tawt I saw a ghost" or some such TV magic.