[Book Spoilers] EP 209 Discussion

Ran

I was wondering how they were going to do the Tryion nose scene, they did it just fine. Now we hope to see how it looks like next episode.

But yes, thank the gods this episode lived up to the hype and more. Deserves more than a 10 out of 10, or a 5 out of 5. Holy fuck, Tywin coming in the last minute, that was more badass then anything I saw in the last few years.

I loved the episode, but I'm going to focus on one thing.

I don't trust Varys. Not at all. That early scene with him and Tyrion, the way he spoke about dark magics... I know his whole story, and why he would be bothered by magic, but I don't trust him.

Anyway, loved the episode, imo, best of the series. Carry on

Let’s just shoot the arrow, light the fleet on fire, storm the castle and just get right to it. This was the most intense episode of the series and … and we all knew how it was going to end… BEAT THAT!

<snip>

Maybe not the best episode; maybe not the tightest episode. But definitely the most gripping episode.

I've been trying to tell you, Rockroi, how much I've enjoyed your summaries, but Error 500 and 503 keep wiping me out, lol! Another excellent summary!

I wasn't sure if she said "I was four" or "I was a fool", but assuming the former, I think it's because Tyrion does not look 8 year younger than Cersei and Jaime...

It sounded like she said four too.

I liked the bit about Tywin believing in the Gods but not trusting them.

Oh, George, you cheeky bastard.

Cersei to Shae: (paraphrased) That must be one heck of story, Tell me about your MYSTERIOUS HISTORY, Shae.

Shae: When I was 13...(LANCEL COMES RUNNING IN KNOCKING EVERYTHING OVER)

Me: Giggling. :lol:

That was a funny scene.

I expected Shae to say "This one time, Your Grace, at band camp..."

"There may have been that many pages in between, but when they "died" I flipped thru the chapters til I saw Bran had another chapter.î•

(null) "

Didn't want to admit it but I did the exact same thing, was happy that SoS was just numbered chapters because I have no self control

I did the same thing. I flipped ahead and saw another Bran chapter.

But which book did you read? Your ASOS book had numbered chapters instead of names? What?

She said she was 4 when her Mom died. I thought she was 7.

She definitely said 4. In the books she and Jaime are 9 years older, so Tyrion has been aged up, which seems like more rehab is going to be done to Cersei's character. The Red Viper tells Tyrion about how Cersei twisted baby Tyrion's penis: certainly a 4 year old won't be doing that. I hope. :ack:

OK, cool. Just wanted to make sure you knew what was up.

Does anyone else feel like the actor playing Loras evolved dramatically from S1 to S2? It's almost like it's a different person (and i'll be really embarrassed if someone comes in right now with "duh, you fucking idiot. they recast him.").

He seemed like such an androgen in S1 and not nearly as much here (not just tonight's episode, but the middle episodes too).

He is the same actor. But I agree he has undergone a drastic, and much improved change I am thankful for. He looked so pathetic in S1, but S2 he is actually....manly. Must be the change in attitude.

Sounded like Cersei definitely said "fool" to me.....not "four."

'Fool' would make sense as well, since that would tie her comments together from beginning to end. At the start she called Sansa a fool for believing the gods were merciful, and Cersei went through that whole story to explain that she was once like Sansa, a fool, and thought that praying could bring her mother back. Plus, GRRM wrote this episode guys, this is definitely something he would do. That's you know...good writing.

Cersei definitly said 'fool' not 'four.'

=)

Sorry, but can someone please explain the "chain" sequence that was left out? I've all the books (I swear) but I read the battle of the blackwater somewhat hastily, anxious to see what would happen, and don't recall exactly what a chain had to do with the battle. A literal metal chain? A chain of ships? What was it?

Speaking of the Red Viper....will we get that character near the end of S3 or the beginning of S4?

Probably S3 as IIRC, Oberyn showed up in ASOS towards the middle of the book.

That's what I thought.

And there's nothing wrong with him being an Androgen or anything, but he was pretty unconvincing as a guy who could unseat The Mountain, tricks and all, in the first season. This season I believed it.

Yes, I agree. In the book he is still described on several occasions as 'slender as a reed' but he should still have some sort of manly or musculature stature. Slender doesn't mean no muscle. The other problem was he was described many times as one of the most beautiful men in Westeros. Obviously that's a tall order for any male actor, but maybe it was his hair in S1, maybe he looked too boyish, maybe something else, but he looks more handsome/like a man in S2, this coming from a straight guy.

Sorry, but can someone please explain the "chain" sequence that was left out? I've all the books (I swear) but I read the battle of the blackwater somewhat hastily, anxious to see what would happen, and don't recall exactly what a chain had to do with the battle. A literal metal chain? A chain of ships? What was it?

Earlier in the book Tyrion ordered all the blacksmiths in King's Landing to stop making armor/weapons (orders from Cersei) and start making big links for a chain. It was a mystery until the battle, where we found out that after all of Stannis' fleet (save Sallador Sahn) entered the Blackwater River, Bronn and others raised a chain across the mouth of the river behind them, so no ships could escape. It turned into a literal flaming trap.