[Book Spoilers] EP 209 Discussion

Ran

Question: was Stannis being apprehended at the end by the castle wall defenders when the men were in full retreat or was it his own men ushering him away? I wasn't sure about that because of the position he was in; it would make it nigh impossible for him to reach the boats for an escape. In any case if they did capture him that would completely alter events later in the books. I will have to sing the same chorus as you all in saying that was by far the best episode ever. The only way to top that is to show the wildlings lay siege to the wall in a future season to come.

Question: was Stannis being apprehended at the end by the castle wall defenders when the men were in full retreat or was it his own men ushering him away? I wasn't sure about that because of the position he was in; it would make it nigh impossible for him to reach the boats for an escape. In any case if they did capture him that would completely alter events later in the books. I will have to sing the same chorus as you all in saying that was by far the best episode ever. The only way to top that is to show the wildlings lay siege to the wall in a future season to come.

It had to be his own men trying to get him back to the boats. He can't be held captive in King's Landing unless they are really going to change his story. I think Stannis was just irate with his men and wanted to keep pressing on but the battle was lost so his men were forcing him back. Again, mad props to him. He would have fought 'til he died.

Altho the scene wasn't in the books, i LOVED the scene where Sandor is in the middle of the batter and watching in absolute horror the burning soldier. Then Bronn shoots the guy and Sandor just....stands there with this look on his face. We know from the books that he has a melt moment and ditches....but the actor really showed it. His eyes, his face....it was soo moving.

The epiphany he had there....you didn't need to see and hear him tell them "fuck you". You didn't think "oh he's a coward"...you just knew he.....changed. It was a very moving scene to watch and made the followup scenes with Sansa later make more sense.

The epiphany he had there....you didn't need to see and hear him tell them "fuck you". You didn't think "oh he's a coward"...you just knew he.....changed. It was a very moving scene to watch and made the followup scenes with Sansa later make more sense.

I just wonder if the Hound will have his transformation complete with Arya. They may skip that and have her Jarquen moment (in the preview) lead directly to Bravos/

To sum up for those who may have missed it and might be inclined to nitpick:

-Ser Mandon slashed Tyrion. He still has his nose, though.

-Loras wore Renly's armor (no Garlan to be seen) and led the vanguard against Stannis's men. It's not 100% clear if Stannis saw him or not, to be honest, but it sure looked like he was seeing a ghost at one point.

-The Hound cut one person in half length-wise and another in half height-wise. :cool4:

-We heard parts of The Rains of Castamere. Twice! Once as a drinking song and once during closing credits.

-We saw both red and green flames among the ships because while wildfire burns green, sails and wood still burn red-orange.

-I'm not sure if Cersei said she was 4 or "(a) fool" when her mother died. I'm going to choose to believe I heard the latter. Accents!

-No Salladhor Saan this episode. Consequently we don't see Stannis's escape at all, though we do see his men running for the ships.

-Stannis was being pulled away from the battlements by his own men. His fury simply wouldn't allow him to leave his throne behind under his own power.

-Lightbringer wasn't burning or even glowing, but it decapitated a guy pretty damn well. In the end that's what you really want out of your legendary swords.

Edited by Lebronn Jamie

I just wonder if the Hound will have his transformation complete with Arya. They may skip that and have her Jarquen moment (in the preview) lead directly to Bravos/

There is absolutely no chance they will do that. Why on earth would they cut out Arya's entire Storm of Swords story? She has the most chapters of any character in that book. After Storm of Swords, she has five chapters where very little happens.

-I'm not sure if Cersei said she was 4 or "(a) fool" when her mother died. I'm going to choose to believe I heard the latter. Accents!

She said she was 4. Are people really so emotionally committed to the age difference between Cersei and Tyrion to the point that they're willing to pretend they didn't change it on the show? It's pretty obvious that Dinklage is not 9 years younger than Headey and Coster-Waldau, so this makes perfect sense.

Great Episode! It just flew by. Surprised to see Joff bust out the Valaryian sword. Surprised Lightbringer looked so ordinary except it just took off half that guys head. How can Stannis escape this? Can't wait to find out.

Ummmmm not Valyrian. Lannisters at this time have no Valyrian and Ser Ilyn has Ice.