How would you rate episode 205?

Ran

How do you rate episode 205?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I am honestly confused as to how some of you are saying we need to "divorce it from the books". There really just hasn't been that many major changes. the biggest ones I can think of...

-Littlefinger going to Renly's camp, makes sense just because he's absent almost all of ACoK, can't do that with a highly-paid actor and very intriguing character.

-Arya being Tywin's cupbearer. I was skeptical of this at first but when it makes for Emmy-worthy scenes like tonight's, I can excuse it.

-Qarth and Dany's entourage have changed somewhat, but really, I just don't think those changes will snowball. The characterization is still there, and in some cases (Doreah, Xaro), is much more interesting.

-No Jojen or Meera. This is probably one of the more legitimate gripes, but it's one of those things where we just need to keep reminding ourselves that it's a TV show with a finite budget, and you've got to cut corners where you can. The writers have excelled here in picking up the slack by making Bran a much more powerful character.

-No Riverrun or Tullys - similar to the last point. Probably the one I'm most worried about, but given how all the rest of the changes have been handled brilliantly by the writers, I have confidence in the team.

Other than that, there have been little changes here and there due to the change in structure (point of view versus third-person audience), pacing, characterization, and of course, budget.

I'm not trying to attack those who are disappointed with the adaptation side of the series, just trying to understand where the biggest gripes are coming from, cause for the most part, I'm agreeing with the changes that are being made.

I'm not trying to attack those who are disappointed with the adaptation side of the series, just trying to understand where the biggest gripes are coming from, cause for the most part, I'm agreeing with the changes that are being made.

Some people just love to bitch and moan. Learn to ignore it and you'll be happier. Some people are just never going to be satisfied with the series because they expect it to be exactly like the books, regardless of the fact that the producers are trying to fit a 1000 page book into 10, 50 minute episodes. They want EVERY line and EVERY miscellaneous, unimportant side character to be included or this show is a "total flop!".

Enjoyed it tremendously. Brienne's reaction to Renly's death was perfect. While straying a bit from the book, the goings on at Harrenhal, told the story well and provided a lot of story in limited time. The Greyjoy stuff was handled well. You could see the workings of Theon's mind without his having to say anything. Nicely done.

8. Arya and Tyrion save the episode again. Good show from Roy Dotrice. Beyond the wall was good to with the exeption of Halfhands, not a good casting imo.

Did not care much for the Renly/Robb supposed alliance. And i have no idea why Davos is being set up as a scapegoat for the epic fail of the Blackwater. Now its going to be his fault for Mel not being there and he will be personaly responsible for the fleet going to shit.

8. Arya and Tyrion save the episode again. Good show from Roy Dotrice. Beyond the wall was good to with the exeption of Halfhands, not a good casting imo.

Did not care much for the Renly/Robb supposed alliance. And i have no idea why Davos is being set up as a scapegoat for the epic fail of the Blackwater. Now its going to be his fault for Mel not being there and he will be personaly responsible for the fleet going to shit.

I don't see how anyone can blame him for what happened at Blackwater. Given that it will go down like in the book, which it will, how could Davos possibly save the fleet when it was trapped in by the Great Chain and then the entire bay was set ablaze with wildfire?

I'll give it a good solid 6. Some entertaining scenes. I think the actor portraying Theon is doing a great job, same goes for Arya. Maybe my two favorite actors up to this point on the show.

I hate how they continue to jump so quickly from scene to scene. It's driving me a little crazy. And with some scenes it seems as soon as things start getting interesting they cut away. There were a few scenes that seemed to last just 1 or 2 minutes before cutting away. Oh well, I guess they won't be changing that style anytime soon.

I think the actress portraying Brienne is doing a decent job but there is something off there, not quite how I pictured her.

Gave it a solid 9...just b/c nothing is perfect.

The acting is splendid and scenery is fantastic. I have one minor gripe. Rhaegar is such a huge presence in the books, even though he is never present. Dany likes to think of herself as him and is told by many that she reminds them of him. However, there has been no mention of him by Dany, Viserys, Jorah, or anyone else for that matter. I think non-readers should be made more aware of him.

I also like Margaery scheming with little finger. She is the heir to the Queen of Thorns and its good for viewers to see just how formidable she is.

I wanted more from Renly's death and was not impressed by Dagmer.

I gave it a 7.

The good: I'm really liking the actress playing Brienne - she's not what I picture when I read the books, but she does a very good job of capturing the power, purity and naivety of the character. The scenes with Arya and Tywin, which never took place in the book, were quite good mostly due to the talent of Charles Dance and Maisie Williams. The Tyrion/Bronn scenes were good as usual. The scenes of the Night's Watch north of the wall were spectacular to look at - great, snow-covered desolation and harsh mountain peaks as far as the eye can see. And the best thing about the episode: no 10 minute detour from the actual story for another episode in The Erotic Adventures of Ros.

The bad: The actress playing Asha/Yara is still unconvincing - when she told Theon her crew would wait for a year if she told them to...yeah, not buying it. I still have no idea what Littlefinger is doing in Renly's encampment and why he's spending so much time doing it. How can the Master of Coin and professional whoremonger deliver on his promise to open the city gates for Renly? Why would Renly (who spent much of his adult life in King's Landing and knows the workings of the city) ever believe him capable of delivering? And Littlefinger's exchanges with the Tyrells - instead of a master of deception and misdirection, he comes across as a master of the plain wrong and the bleeding obvious. Most of Renly's strength is Highgarden's strength - why do Loras and Margaery need to run for their lives from Stannis, surrounded by legions of their father's soldiers, knights and bannermen? How is Joffrey able to make defensive plans on his own? If he has the power to order the defense of King's Landing, he has the power to dispose of Tyrion right now.

Also, a question: why does Bran have the dream about the sea invading Winterfell instead of Jojen? Where are Jojen and Meera? Aren't they going to be necessary when Bran and Rickon eventually flee Winterfell?

Edited by BoldAsYouPlease

I have one minor gripe. Rhaegar is such a huge presence in the books, even though he is never present. Dany likes to think of herself as him and is told by many that she reminds them of him. However, there has been no mention of him by Dany, Viserys, Jorah, or anyone else for that matter. I think non-readers should be made more aware of him.

Robert mentions him in S1/ep1 when Ned takes him down to the crypts of Winterfell to visit Lyanna's grave. Jorah also tells Dany that she reminds him of Rhaegar.

Awesome episode! Renly's death was done magnificently & Brienne showed how much of a badass she is. That was really cool. I loved the scenes in Qarth & seeing Drogon. Even though the chapters in ACOK were kinda boirng, the show's doing a good job of showing the people and geography of Qarth. I liked Bronn's lines to the pyromancer too, very Bronn-like even though they weren't in the book and Arya's scenes were awesome too, but was disappointed Jaqen killed the Tickler and not someone else, who'll she kill next season then? Overall I loved it though.

Also, a question: why does Bran have the dream about the sea invading Winterfell instead of Jojen? Where are Jojen and Meera? Aren't they going to be necessary when Bran and Rickon eventually flee Winterfell?

Agreed. They can give Bran the greendreams, but what about when they set out north? Or in season 4/5, which I'm convinced they'll smash together, when Bran meets Bloodraven? Not to mention, he (Bran) loves Meera! Couldn't we have not had...idk...ROS instead of not having the Reeds?

Edited by Died a Hero

I have a feeling Osha will be going North with Bran and feeding him the info on Bloodraven and greendreams while Lewin takes Rickton to Skagos. I'm cool with it as I like the actress playing Osha.

I think the actress portraying Brienne is doing a decent job but there is something off there, not quite how I pictured her.

I'm sorry they made her cut her hair as it is long in the books. More butch? They could have had her do a few laps in a chlorinated pool to make it unmanageable.

I love how Theon has changed from being a soft smart ass to a hard but uncertain Ironborn.

Asha/Yara - for goodness sake! She has a ot of decent lines but where is the sauciness and the humor and the edge? Alas.

Arya - all her scenes are so good. I am sad that she wont have the chance to kill the Tickler screaming questions at him. Dont mess with PTSD.

Tywin could not have been better cast.

Catelyn; She became a total downer in the book way before this (with good reason) and is not disappointing!

Tyrion, well. Except where is the chain dammit?

I'll miss the handsome Renly. I hope Loras combs his hair soon.

This is like Moneyball in that they could have made an entire series (or movie) out of each component - I'm glad they are doing it as well as they are.

HOT HOT HOT Gendry.

So on the plus side, one pansified weak gay pawn was killed off, but on the other he's been replaced by another pansified weak gay pawn.

Loras' rage was reduced from killing lots of Rainbow guards (given to Brienne) to threatening an unarmed LF, before being talked down to size.

Other than all this stuff it was really good, but seriously, if I was gay I'd be getting a little pissed off.

Edit, wait, I'm getting a little pissed off anyway.

Edited by James Arryn