How would you rate episode 205?

Ran

How do you rate episode 205?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I think it was a good hour of TV if you can some how manage to completely divorce it from the books. In that light it is probably an 8 or 9. As an adaptation it is probably a 3 to 4. The changes are starting to really add up and by next season this may just be a TV show inspired by the Song of Fire and Ice series, rather than an adaptation of it. I have to get some sleep so I will have to save my more in depth thoughts for later.

I bet you can't name a single change of any importance whatsoever.

Acting is again superb, but they need to try and throw in at least one bit of action per episode - too many two person scenes can get stale in a row. They missed a trick with Robb's battle last episode, and this episode they could have at least shown Stannis' ride in a little majestically. Atm, Stannis is still just 'there' a little bit. We've not seen him give his troops any speeches for example, whereas we've seen Renly, Robb etc do so. He needs to be a bigger presence as the main new pro/antogonist (prontagonist!) in the series.

But yeah, more scale needed - I liked the scene where Jon sees Qhorin in the distance, because it seemed really authentic being filmed in Iceland. I understand that they're focusing on character, and this is a TV series, but there were a few shots in the first series that were just there to take your breath away and remind you "Hey, this is Westeros" e.g. first glimpse of the wall, riding up to the Eyrie etc. There's not been quite as many of those shots.

Other than all that - I'd give it an 8/9 again. Lots of fantastic performances, and I found Renly's death to be well done. Also loved Isaac and Maisie's performances again. OH, that scene with Arya/Tywin. Yesyesyesyes!

I thought this episode was great. I've been enjoying the show a lot more since deciding to evaluate it on its own, rather than insisting that everything be exactly as it is in the books. TV is a different medium that the novel and things that make sense for one don't always make sense for the other.

Best episode so far, gave it a rating of 8.

Reasons for liking it

• The death scene for Renly was great, although we had a certain missing armor piece
  • The fealty scene with Cat and Brienne was very well done and meaningful
  • Stannis and Davos's discusssion about the Lady Mel, shored up the reason for not taking her to 'Battle of Blackwater'. Although it does seem odd, 'Admiral Davos Seaworth'
  • The site of Ghost stand fiercely in the background at the 'Fist of the First Men'
  • The Halfhand's introduction, already a legend
  • Phat's introduction, that's one creepy you-know-what
  • Dany beginning to communicate with your fierciest Dragon, the CGI was very nice
  • Any battle of words scene with Tyrion and Cersie

Oh heck, I'll give it a 9, for said reasons

I thought this was the best episode yet - and gave it a 10. I just loved it, all of it, and thought Jaqen, Arya, Tywin and Gendry shirtless were all excellent. I really like Jaqen.

Brienne's agony over seeing Renley killed was very moving - Christie is a great actress and I hope she gets nominated for an Emmy next year. I guess she did not have enough air time to make it this year. And Catelyn was excellent as well.

I was so relieved there were no Ros scenes and no time wasted with prostitues and sex scenes that don't mean anything. I really like how much of the book was covered in this episode and how the story was moved along. And the less I have to see of Cersei the better, that actress and that character really get on my nerves.

Iceland was breathtaking and a perfet place to film North of the Wall. Those scenes were EXCELLENT!!!! And I, too, loved the shot of Ghost on the Fist of First Men in the background.

I just loved this episode from start to finish. I would like to see Rhaegon and Visyrion though, Drogon is the only dragon getting air time. The three should be flying around the room and sitting on Dany by now.

Edited by WinterWarrior

Some people just love to bitch and moan. Learn to ignore it and you'll be happier. Some people are just never going to be satisfied with the series because they expect it to be exactly like the books, regardless of the fact that the producers are trying to fit a 1000 page book into 10, 50 minute episodes. They want EVERY line and EVERY miscellaneous, unimportant side character to be included or this show is a "total flop!".

Can you really show any post that says that it needs to mirror the books exactly otherwise it will be a total loss?

8/10

I really enjoyed this episode. It's definitely the best of the season so far. Most of the changes make sense - I only have a few minor quibbles:

The whole Theon scene seemed a bit over the top to me, with his crew randomly taking the piss out of him. Didn't like Dagmer Cleftjaw, and the less said about Yara the better.

The bit with Qhorin Halfhand was slightly off. The Old Bear came across as too passive (and strangely jovial?) and not really the man in charge, Jon was obnoxious and the Fist of the First Men didn't look like much of a fortifiable defensive position (and is everything North of the Wall supposed to be so completely...frozen in the books? I had the impression that that only really applied to the Lands of Always Winter)

The changes to Renly's death felt unnecessary, with Brienne actually killing people rather than Loras going berserk.

4. I'm surprised by the high level of approval for this episode. This episode was going to be the true test for Gwendoline Christie, and I think it is clear that she will not be very good. She looks the part and that fight scene in the tent was great, but her acting is painful to watch. It was going to be a hard role to pull off, so I am not surprised, but it still has to be said that Brienne is a failure so far.

The shadow at the end of the last episode got me really excited, and then fizzled with Renly's death in this episode.

Bronn is still very good, but I think Tyrion is not as entertaining as I was hoping. ACOK is Tyrion's book, and he has yet to take over. He really took control in the book, but he only seems to be a side show so far.

The Tickler becoming one of the deaths was brutal. Absolutely killed one of the best moments I was waiting for in ASOS at the inn. I don't mind changes, but my favorite Arya moment has no chance of happening now.

9. I have no complaints about this episode.

- Plus now it is logical that Littlefinger has a purpose for going to Renly's camp. He brought the Tyrells to the Lannisters. I wasn't pleased at how come he went there to talk to Cat in the earlier episode, but now I'm appeased.

- Arya + Tywin + Jaqen. Love all the Harrenhal scenes. + Gendry shirtless, oh my god.

- Brienne + Catelyn was touching.

- Tyrion making fun of Lancel is always fun to watch.

- Dany + dragon. Ehh, seem to be a lot of talking for her storyline and not much action, but it's ok for me. I like that they explain the motivations and deliberations behind the characters. Not bored - yet.

While there were a few changes, they hit every thing they needed to in this episode. All the story lines are fully intact and the acting is amazing!

I watch with my husband a non-book reader who has become a huge fan. He rates this a 10. (I think he feels this way about nearly all the episodes)

I'm in a similar situation with my brother. We text during the show and talk immediatley afterwards every week. He loves it and considers it the best show on tv. So when I'm feeling a little blue about no Jojen and Meera, his enthusiasm for Bran's dreams bring me right back!

8. Was pretty good, but a few things were off. Great acting all around, and the changes were mostly pretty good IMO- some characters' personalities are different but the changes fit. The most annoying thing was Jon's storyline- I thought the way in the book was far better, and this version of Lord Mormont seems like an absolute jackass. And why the hell would you camp in a place that, whilst only being attackable from one side, is practically impossible to escape from against a much larger army?

I can only agree whit what have been said so far: This episode had a hand-full of meaningful deeper meanings, it's obviously building up for something big.

I was stunned to finally see Emilia Clarke smile, Daenerys seems to be in the right element.

And Halfhand, finally. Have been anticipated this moment since the start of the season.

Gave the Episode an overall rating of 8, I liked it alot, but I found the wildfire scene a bit... dull from my point of view. That Bronn talked with so little respect and took Tyrions role in that form the books didn't fit me at all.