How would you rate episode 205?

Ran

How do you rate episode 205?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Me either. The whole Qarth storyline in the books isn't terribly gripping anyway, so I don't mind them taking some liberties with it. As long as I get the House of the Undying burning, I couldn't care less.

I suppose it's mostly stuff like "Boo hoo, Xaro isn't effete and they changed his reason for marrying Dany" or "Waah, the Spice Kings ISN'T IN THE BOOK!!"

I'll echo this sentiment. And yes, it may very well be due to the fact that I found the Qarth storyline to be boring and utterly forgettable in the books, House of the Undying notwithstanding. The bit with Pyatt Pree was entertaining as hell (Dany and Jorah's reaction faces were priceless) and served to underscore the general weird creepiness of the Warlocks very effectively. Quaithe's look was different than I was expecting, but she came across as a complete mystery, which again goes along with the book. And by her addressing Jorah, we now know (as far as the show is concerned) that she isn't a figment of Dany's imagination, which is a relief as that would have been cheesy in the extreme.

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

Gave it a solid 9. Loved this episode. Brienne's reaction to Renly's death was amazing and quite moving. The shadow was great. And Brienne and Cat really match well on screen. They already seem to have a bond. Truly great scenes. Sir Loras did not go ape shit but he looked very upset and distraught.

Dany in Qarth was totally redeemed by the appearance of Pyat Pree and Quaith. I hope she meets Quaith one more time to learn that she must go East to go West...or something like that. And beware the Mummer's Dragon. Cannot wait for the House of the Undying. Saw some dragons. I wish they would show all three but one is better than none. And I think we saw the cream one when she was putting Drogon back in its crate. Whereas Qarth was painful to watch last week, this week I thought it was great. I am trying to remove myself from the books when watching the TV show. Not an easy task.

Loved the wild fire scene with the Alchemist.

But to me the best part of the show was JAQUEN!!!!! He fricking owned!!! He stole the show. So creepy, cool, and spot on!!! He is perfect.

Good to see Jon Snow and the Fists of the First Men. Halfhand was fine. Looking forward to next week. I hope they give Snow more action than in the books in terms of fighting. We all know he sees plenty of other action.

My one negative was Dagmer Cleftjaw. I was hoping he would have been more like the book. Would have liked more background with him and Theon but you can't have everything I guess.

Oh, and I loved Rickon smashing nuts at the table next to Bran. Do you think the Reeds will ever come to Winterfell? They are kind of important in the book but I am wondering now if they will ever be used. Even next season.

And more HODOR = more greatness. HODOR!!!

Best episode yet imo, gave it my first 9!

Might be the fact that there was no Shae or Ros that swayed me but I really couldn't find much fault in this episode at all apart from it feeling too short.

Not sure why Quaithe addressed Jorah instead of Daeny but she looked pretty neat, Pree was fantastically creepy as well.

Dagmer could have used a Cleftjaw but HBO are lazy pricks when it comes to facial disfigurements. Brienne's acting was so-so, but she fits the bill and I'm fine with her. Tyrion and Bronn were brilliant. Arya was great, I'm guessing Polliver will be next and after that some Weasel soup. Hope they never show the Hill that rides again, glad I wasn't burdened with his lanky ass this episode.

The Fist looked great. Does Qhorin Halfhand even have a Halfhand? Theon scenes were pretty good.

I agree with this, easily the best eposide. Winterfell was damn good as well. I think they are doong the best jobs editing the stories in harranhal and winterfell.

The scenes north of the wall are amazeballs. It looks as cold and inhospitable as i imagined it.

The costumes in qarth are excellent.

Cleftjaw wasnt right but thats nitpickey. That plus no Dany exposure of the breast take it down to 9.

ad.ap.ta.tion:

a.

Something, such as a device or mechanism, that is changed or changes so as to become suitable to a new or special application or situation.

Well done and deserves high marks.

Again, no one is saying there shouldn't be any changes so not really sure what the point of your post is.

I bet you can't name a single change of any importance whatsoever.

Well since you brought it up here are the changes that come to mind off the top of my head...

Loras not even suspecting Brienne of killing Renly, when he is convinced she did it in the books and they even did his casting based on the confrontation from Feast. Loras also killed two of his sworn Rainbow Guard brothers in rage who were guarding outside the tent, where here is talked down from hurting an unarmed Littlefinger who is starting wedding negotiations with Margeary over Renly's corpse.

Brienne's first slaying of a man wasn't until Feast, where she slayed several of the guards here.

Davos is made admiral of Stannis's fleet, where Imry Florent, the queen's brother who has no experience as an admiral, leads the attack on Blackwater Bay. While Davos will no doubt be made to make the same mistakes in the show, in the book Davos is the one pointing out the mistakes Ser Imry is making in being over confident and not sending out any scouts or noticing the tower which holds the chain. Also Ser Imry keeps Salador's ships back because he does not trust them, when Davos feels this was a waste as these were some of the most experienced war time sailors.

Asha hasn't fit her book character so far. The Cleftjaw is the one suggesting they alter their raiding target, where in the books Theon is the one convincing him.

The cliff side approaches of the TV fist of the first men will make escaping from it when it is attacked problematic, as there appeared to be only one way in and out.

Qarth is almost completely original content. Xaro is not gay, and they didn't bring up how if they were married the bride and groom could ask for one gift of one another which could not be refused, with Xaro's being one of her dragons. One has to wonder if Dany might not have considered Xaro more seriously for marriage, if she thought he had any interest in her what so ever. Especially when he makes it seem much more so than the books that he would support her war effort. They also made Jorah Mormont seem like he was against bringing any foreign aid to conquer Westeros, when it was his idea to get the Unsullied.

With Arya as cupbearer to Tywin, it is pretty unlikely that he would have a percieved commoner speaking freely to his council, and even less likely that she could say something as pointed as the thinly veiled threat of "anyone can die" directed at him.

Likewise it seems pretty unlikely that Jaqen would offer her 3 deaths and Tywin wouldn't be the first name on her mind after having made that threat. In the books it is more plauseable because she has no contact at all with Tywin and only sees him from a distance, and then realizes she should have named him as he is leaving. Cheswick was her first death in the books, and the Tickler taking his place robs Arya of the moment when she does it herself in Storm of Swords, the whole "Is there gold in the village?" as she stabs him over and over. I understand that not even having named him as the Tickler until this episode and having his torture scenes so brief and non-graphic in nature he probably would not even be remembered by next season or two seasons from now. But it still is a bit disappointing. Perhaps Polliver will take his place in that scene.

Harrenhal is not nearly the hell it was for Arya, where she was constantly in danger, and stuck on manual labor duties scrubbing floors and what not. As the surprisingly friendly Tywin's cupbearer she argueably has it better than most of the commoners in the kingdom at this point. No Vargo Hoat and the Bloody Mummers certainly plays a role there, though I understand the casting costs for delaying their entrance to the story. Of course if they do cast them next season and if weasel soup still happens this season, then Vargo won't be changing sides in nearly the same manner.

No Reeds, Bran has the Green Dreams instead and Osha apparently is going to be the one interpretting them. Howland Reed was the only survivor of the Tower of Joy, and it appears that story line may be cut completely. No mention of Ramsay Snow yet, but it is still early. Still this would have seemed to be the perfect time to bring him up story line wise.

No Edric Storm. An understandable cut, but still this is one of the major tension points between Davos and Stannis in Storm, and the first time we learn of Melisandre's desire to sacrifice someone who has king's blood.

Now I gave the episode an 8 as a TV show, but as an adaptation the changes are really mounting, and truth be told this episode was a lesser offender in comparison to some of the other changes we have seen so far this season.

Edited by Tadco26

Quaithe's look was different than I was expecting, but she came across as a complete mystery, which again goes along with the book. And by her addressing Jorah, we now know (as far as the show is concerned) that she isn't a figment of Dany's imagination, which is a relief as that would have been cheesy in the extreme.

We already knew that at least some of her appearances were real, she was one of the 3 who first game to Dany and invited her to Qarth. She also warned Dany to " Beware all. They shall come day and night to see the wonder that has been born again into the world, and when they see they shall lust. For dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power." To which Jorah responded "She speaks truly, my queen.. though I like her no more than the others."

I'll echo this sentiment. And yes, it may very well be due to the fact that I found the Qarth storyline to be boring and utterly forgettable in the books, House of the Undying notwithstanding. The bit with Pyatt Pree was entertaining as hell (Dany and Jorah's reaction faces were priceless) and served to underscore the general weird creepiness of the Warlocks very effectively. Quaithe's look was different than I was expecting, but she came across as a complete mystery, which again goes along with the book. And by her addressing Jorah, we now know (as far as the show is concerned) that she isn't a figment of Dany's imagination, which is a relief as that would have been cheesy in the extreme.

Didnt she meet belwas and company in qarth?

Again, no one is saying there shouldn't be any changes so not really sure what the point of your post is.

I do not seek controversy nor am I saying posters do not have the right to express their opinions; however, some of the posts seem a tad whinny about D&D drawing outside of canonical lines. The entire season's film is in the "can"(read: completed) To complain that actor x is not doing a good job or not hitting their mark, is denying the fact that whatever action portrayed on screen is only as good as the writing and the director's approval; and, whatever scrutiny professionals apply to their product. We either like it or we don't, is all I'm saying. Besides, I don't hear GRRM complaining.

Edited by Slingingstones

I found it weird when they said the 3 eyed raven, yet I couldn't help but feel like it was a way to set up Bloodraven later on.

I agree. This makes it easier for a distinction with BR. Also, because the NW are called "crows," it creates another separation for people who haven't read the books.

Liked the episode very much. Still trying to let go of the transition from books to TV, but love most of the performances, especially, Arya/Tywin; Cat Brienne; LF/Margery.

Y'know, I watch this show, and I wonder why there are so many crappy actors in the movies when the people on this show rock! Sure, Dinklage, Heady, Dance, and a few others have been in big movies, but most of these people are unknown and can actually ACT! Where's the justice? Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, and many other Hollywood "stars" CAN'T ACT!! Some can do comedy OK, but as dramatic actors, feh! And yet, the cast of this show are stuck in lesser-known movies and television roles, with the exception of GoT...and we'll probably never see most of them on the big screen. For shame.

Pardon my rant...I'm better now, thank you.

Well, I don't know about this........but I will say there are a lot of great actors out there who never get their due.

We already knew that at least some of her appearances were real, she was one of the 3 who first game to Dany and invited her to Qarth. She also warned Dany to " Beware all. They shall come day and night to see the wonder that has been born again into the world, and when they see they shall lust. For dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power." To which Jorah responded "She speaks truly, my queen.. though I like her no more than the others."

OK. I've seen this Quaithe-as-figment theory posted here before so I assumed that perhaps she hadn't interacted in the books with anyone but Dany.

Didnt she meet belwas and company in qarth?

Yes, at the docks just as they're about to leave the city (I think? I know it's right toward the end of the book). So yeah, that was an item from the book both Qarth-y and interesting. Looking forward to how they handle that on the show.

I wondered that too but maybe like the Asha--> Yara name change they think crow would be too confusing for viewers when they hear the wildings using it for NW & other kneelers.

I thought it was simply because the bird depicted on the show is a raven.

To that point, you know good and well if they'd said "crow" on the show someone would be bitching about the bird actually being a raven, and not a real crow. :bang:

A solid 9, this was my favorite episode this season. A lot less filler and more focus on covering plotlines. Arya and Tyrion were flawless as usual. The addition of the Margaery and Petyr scene was great. All actors were great.

How will they deal with the lack of Jojen and Meera? I'm hoping they'll still show up later. It would be boring having Bran journey up north with Hodor and his direwolf alone.

Anyone else notice the lack of the Walder Frey twins?

Y'know, I watch this show, and I wonder why there are so many crappy actors in the movies when the people on this show rock! Sure, Dinklage, Heady, Dance, and a few others have been in big movies, but most of these people are unknown and can actually ACT! Where's the justice? Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, and many other Hollywood "stars" CAN'T ACT!! Some can do comedy OK, but as dramatic actors, feh! And yet, the cast of this show are stuck in lesser-known movies and television roles, with the exception of GoT...and we'll probably never see most of them on the big screen. For shame.

Pardon my rant...I'm better now, thank you.

Brad Pitt in the Assassination of Jesse James by Robert Ford the Coward- He can act

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that it was great to see Roy Dotrice in the role of the pyromancer Hallyne. As someone who has enjoyed the books in both book and audiobook format I just love Roy Dotrice. And seeing him on screen was just great. I also like the fact that his credit on the screen was not shared with any other name for that second it was up there.