How would you rate episode 205?

Ran

How do you rate episode 205?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I loved this episode. If you don't need to see a carbon copy of the book and just look at how the series works, you'd note this episode was extremely well scripted, acted and edited.

Why did everyone hate Qarth.. i dont get it. Is it because of this jorah and dany thing. Is there not a small romance or thing with them in the books?

Jorah kissed her full on the mouth in the book.

Thankfully, Gillen wasn't on the screen long enough for me to cringe,

Yes, what the hell is up with him? I liked him in season 1 but his acting has gone downhill like crazy. He sounds like an irritating monotonous buzz.

Edited by waaimasjien

Why did everyone hate Qarth.. i dont get it. Is it because of this jorah and dany thing. Is there not a small romance or thing with them in the books?

Jorah certainly loved Dany, but it was never requited. But I don't get the Qarth complaints either, Cooper. I felt last week's Qarth scene was a bummer, but I was fascinated tonight.

I loved this episode. If you don't need to see a carbon copy of the book and just look at how the series works, you'd note this episode was extremely well scripted, acted and edited.

Jorah kissed her full on the mouth in the book.

Yes, what the hell is up with him? I liked him in season 1 but his acting has gone downhill like crazy. He sounds like an irritating monotonous buzz.

Was that not in the third book? He confesses his love.

Edited by cooper56

Agreed. They can give Bran the greendreams, but what about when they set out north? Or in season 4/5, which I'm convinced they'll smash together, when Bran meets Bloodraven? Not to mention, he (Bran) loves Meera! Couldn't we have not had...idk...ROS instead of not having the Reeds?

I think that we can live without another love story, especially being that it was all in Bran's thoughts. The scenes with Ros tie in a more important story dymanic than Bran being in love with Meera. It would be a waste of precious story time to have a 9 year old pining over a sixteen year old girl.

After rating the show three 10's in a row, I dropped off to an 8 this week. In hindsight, last weeks episode should have ended the moment of Renly's death, and as has been pointed out, that particular scene left a lot to be desired. Opening wan ep with the death just didn't convey the significance of the act to me. The other point deducted for me was for Quarth scenes, particularly the change in fashion.

The acting continues to be amazing, but special props goes out tonight for all of the actors under 5 feet tall. Maisie should start clearing room on her shelves for all of the awards, Peter Dinkledge was his usual, brilliant self, Isaac Hempstead-Wright is shining with every appearance, and even Art Parkinson did an outstanding job last night with no speaking lines. Without a word he perfectly nailed Rikon.

Meh. I'm not as concerned about the minor changes (axing the Reeds is fine, and whatever re: Jaqen H'Gar's dialect shift), but for episode 5, the pacing seems off. And why wouldn't she have just chosen Tywin? By advancing the timeline and cutting out Arry's side trek, they're making a hash of major plot points.

This barely earned a 7, but its production values were still top-notch. I have no clue what you people base your 9s on. I'll be reading the thread to find out, but call me a skeptic of this season doing well.

Edit: yeah, I got nuthin'. It was alright, but I haven't seen proper justification for a 9. Pass to the left, would you :stillsick:

Edited by Ghost of Crackclaw

It probably had more variations from the book then any episode so far, but I thought it was the best one of this season. Renly's death was pretty weak, I think it would have been better if they had placed it the same episode with the shadow being released; it is something we only see once and the two events are disjointed the way they did them. I don't really care for Brienne in the show and she didn't help.

Edited by Brucolac

I don't hate Qarth, it is interesting. I will be interested in seeing how the House of the Undying is done, since it was mentioned. I gave this

episode an 8. My husband is lost with all the new characters but he has me.

I apologize if this sounds like the incredibly stupid question it may very well be, but since I honestly do wonder I’ll ask it anyway. Since it’s HBO who may not have to adhere to the rigid end times of regular commercial stations………….if they added an additional 5 minutes to every episode would the expense be the same not doable amount as if they filmed an 11
th
episode? With even 5 more minutes per episode I think the story could be greatly enhanced.

Meh, I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I was a little disappointed with Renly's death. I was expecting more killing and anguish over him from Loras. I didn't expect the two Reeds to make it into the series but I was hoping that they might consolidate the

both of them into one at the least. I'd give it an overall 8 because it still was incredibly good even with all my little nitpicks!

I'd give it a 8.5, but I'll bump it up to 9 because of the strong performances. Probably my favorite episode thus far in the season, and a big improvement over the total mess that was last episode.

Really enjoyed the Stannis Davos interaction after Renly's death, and I'm glad the showrunners explained that Renly's bannermen joined Stannis, which is something they didn't really elaborate on very well last episode (that Stannis needed Renly's bannermen). Would have liked a scene with some of hte bannermne, or at least names of them, but good enough.

Speaking of Renly, his death was a disappointment. Looked kinda corny on screen, wasn't really scary, and I wish they had Brienne fight off the two attackers instead of kill them.

Littlefinger scene with Loras and Margaery was alright, though I really hope it's the last we see of him for a while. They've really been overusing Littlefinger; aside from Tyrion, he probably has had the most screentime and has been in every episode this season. Varys is the one that should be featured more, and sadly he hasn't appeared once in the last two episodes. I really hope this is the last we see of Littlefinger until near the end of hte season, and I imagine it will be.

Loved the Arya Tywin scene. Great acting by both Williams and Dance, and lots of tension. The guy playing Jaqen is perfect too, and while this is nitpicking, I wish they also would have showed Rorge adn Biter arriving, just to make it more clear what was going on. Tickler going early is regrettable, but he was never going to be kept until season four.

I actually liked the Dany Qarth scenes, even if they spent maybe too much time there. Glad they're not getting rid of all the mystery and magical elements, and I wasn't a big fan of Dany scenes in ACOK that much anyway, so the changes didn't bother me at all. Much better than that awful 80s style fantasy schock scene from last epsiode of Dany arriving at the gates.

I was "meh" on the Theon scenes. Don't really care for Yara--she just seems really boring compared to Asha. Still, it set up Theon taking Winterfell well enough, which I imagine happens next episode.

I gave it a 6. On the plus side - thank god we got actual storyline instead of more senseless goings-on in a brothel. And I love Brienne - the scenes between her and Catlyn were very powerful - Michelle Fairley is so intense! Maisie again shines even when playing against Charles Dance - who IS Tywin! - their scenes I loved. And the Stannis and Davos scene was really good - love Liam Cunningham.

Tyrion however, is continuing to be the comic relief - where is the tormented book-Tyrion? Couldn't we see him occasionally? And I'm afraid Renly's death did not turn out to be the shocking event it should have been - apart from Brienne's reaction. The Tyrrells didn't seem to care much, and Loras' grief and rage were very underplayed. Dany's story continues to not grip me, but then it didn't in the book either; though I love how emotive Iain Glen is - fantastic actor.

As for Littlefinger - OK of course they had to have Aidan Gillen popping up all over the place - LF is hardly in ACOK at all, and they had to write him in - but it seems out of place to have him at Renly's camp. And though I love the actor to bits and have admired his work for years, I'm still not convinced by his portrayal of LF, though that is down to script and direction to a large extent.....

Overall it was the best episode yet I thought, and we got some solid coverage of the many storylines, and there were many really great scenes. Just a few niggles which kept it from a higher score IMO.

Gave it an 8.

There were some uneven moments and some parts I wasn't swept away by, but the I love when the writers manage present common themes across the storylines within an episode without forcing it.

This episode had a really interesting thread on whether or not a leader needs to be loved, whether it is an advantage, or a hindrance -- all part of the discussion of what makes a good ruler, and how that intersects with being able to become a ruler.

This, plus some great scenes -- Jorah and Dany and Arya and Twyin, in particular, as well as Brienne just destroying those two knights.

I gave it a 9. I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season. I noticed it was longer than last week's episode by a few minutes and it really help.I don't think there was a weak scene in the season but when I re-watch it, I might change my mind. I seem to be changing my mind, for the better, when I re-watch episodes this season. I really love the Qarth scenes; it definetly makes it clear there is some organized civilzation across the Narrow Sea that may be just as powerful as King's Landing. Arya's scenes were wonderful as always and Asha (I refuse to call her Yara) is starting to grow on me. She isn't really a major player in book 2 but I think so far, the characterization has been getting better.

My only concern is from seeing the previews for next week, I fear they are going to introduce

Ygritte

too soon. This shouldn't be done until at least episode 7 or even 8.

I'm reserving a 10 for the Blackwater episode. :drool:

1/10. Ducksauce called Dany the first of her name. What about Daenerys, daughter of Aegon IV? Or does your name only get recorded if you are monarch? If that's the case, I apologize. 10/10. Maisie needs an Emmy.

Edited by akajea

1/10. Ducksauce called Dany the first of her name. What about Daenerys, daughter of Aegon IV? Or does your name only get recorded if you are monarch? If that's the case, I apologize. 10/10. Maisie needs an Emmy.

It only gets recorded when you are a monarch. And tbh, it makes the show much more enjoyable when one doesn't nitpick on small details that may or may not differ from the books, just my two cents :)

Loved the episode! Not only due to lack of brothels brothels brothels. Highlights were:

Bran the Lord

Tywin vs Arya

Sam Tarly!

Catelyn and Brienne

Davos!

Mocking Theon

Awww Drogon. Let's hope the other two learned how to cook too.

And more stuff. Anyway, enjoyed it!