How would you rate episode 205?

Ran

How do you rate episode 205?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

The Arya/Tywin scene was a perfect 10! But I'd give the whole thing a 9, ton's of story covered and I love that. For a man of 90+ years Roy Dotrice as the Pyromancer was great to see sincee I'm a huge fan of his audiobook readings.

Was really dissapointed that they changed Dany's Qarth dress for my own perverted reasons though;-)

The Qarth scenes are just so....lacking. There's something missing and it feels very contrived. Because of Qarth. Arya continues to shine. You can really tell how good she is when she has a scene alongside Tywin. They are taking Bran's storyline in a whole different way and I find myself enjoying it. I'm still so surprised how great the child actors are. Asha continues to be so incredibly unlikeable. I tried to get over the fact that she isn't book Asha and accept this different Asha they are portraying, but the actress is just terrible. She is no natural actress.

Because of Qarth and some other issues, I give it a 7.5.

The Arya/Tywin scene was a perfect 10! But I'd give the whole thing a 9, ton's of story covered and I love that. For a man of 90+ years Roy Dotrice as the Pyromancer was great to see sincee I'm a huge fan of his audiobook readings.

Was really dissapointed that they changed Dany's Qarth dress for my own perverted reasons though;-)

Umm yea i can see why you would want it but honestly it would be to much to ask for actor to walk around nude 24/7. They get away with alot nudity already.

While there were a few changes, they hit every thing they needed to in this episode. All the story lines are fully intact and the acting is amazing!

I watch with my husband a non-book reader who has become a huge fan. He rates this a 10. (I think he feels this way about nearly all the episodes)

While there were a few changes, they hit every thing they needed to in this episode. All the story lines are fully intact and the acting is amazing!

I watch with my husband a non-book reader who has become a huge fan. He rates this a 10. (I think he feels this way about nearly all the episodes)

This!!

I gave the first 4 episodes somewhere between an 8-10, and this one I gave a 6. If you compare it your regular television show, however, it's like a 9.5. It seems like a lot of people loved it, but I was left disappointed. I have this feeling that they're going to keep deviating more and more from the book to a point where it's almost like a different story. I know True Blood did that, and I'd hate to see that here. Sometimes they change such small things, and I don't see a purpose to it.

I'm glad to have a show at all and don't mean to sound like a huge complainer, but I get kind of sad when I know I'll never get to see a scene that I've had in my head for years and years and was so excited to see when the show was announced. The Tickler and Arya at the inn, for example. But I'll try to keep faith in D&D and believe they'll stay as true to the story as they can. It's so difficult to turn these books into a television adaptation. I just have to realize that it can never be the same as the books...it's the show version! And a great one.

The acting is amazing though, it really is. Perfect.

Edited by hk47

Starts out as an easy, easy 10 for:

• Every. Single. Arya. Scene. Maisie Williams could not be more "Arya Stark" if she tried. The exchange with Tywin (who is also simply magnificent in the show) is probably my favorite scene of the entire season thus far. And her telling Gendry to stand "sideface" was stinkin' perfect. So, Arya gets this week's Badass of the Week award.
  • Stannis/Davos stuff was great. I was worried about Stannis' portrayal for most of the season, but I think by this point, Dillane has found the right way to play him. Davos reaction to being made leader of the naval attack was great, Liam Cunningham is a great Davos.
  • The casting director must have made the trip to Tarth to get Brienne to play herself, that's the only thing I can think of that explains the fantastic acting. Her savage and angry fighting and her swearing fealty to Catelyn was exactly how I pictured when reading. Cat was great there too.
  • Although the Nights Watch stuff was decent at best, I feel like they're finally going to get to the meaty stuff next week. Not much else to say. Quorin is adequate so far, and keeping Dolorous Edd continues to be a great choice.
  • Transferring Jojen's dream of "the sea coming to Winterfell" to Bran was a great choice. You could feel the eerie foreshadowing there, I'm curious if non-readers caught on to what that meant.
  • I like Qarth's portrayal, it's supposed to seem really odd, fanciful, and "not real". I liked the inclusion of Quaithe, and both Pyatt Pree and Xaro are actually pretty interesting characters. And Doreah's still smoking hot, nothing new there. Jorah is great too.

But, nothing is perfect, so some nitpicky things dropped it down to a 9 for me:

• So far, all the ironborn stuff has been pretty flawless to me, so it was disappointing to see such a small Dagmer Cleftjaw. Theon is still an interesting character, but both Dagmer and Yara were underwhelming and just "meh".
  • Jaqen switching between normal speech and third-person speech was weird. Not sure what happened there, maybe just careless script-writing? Visually, he's still great though.
  • Littlefinger seems to be teaming up with Margaery and Loras here, I don't know how I feel about that, even in the context of the show. I'll wait and see what happens there I guess.
  • As awesome as Brienne was, the way Renly died was a little underwhelming compared to the books. I know that's really, really nitpicky, but I think that just shows how good the episode was when I'm reaching that far.

Overall, my favorite of the season, barely topping last week. Thinking about it now, they actually got almost all of the storylines in there with some incredibly tight pacing and writing, and nothing felt rushed or under-done. Hoping the rest of the season follows suit. Looks like we get some Ygritte next episode! Hoping we get to hear "you know nothing, Jon Snow".

Edited by NW Deserter

I don't get the problem people are having with Qarth

Me either. The whole Qarth storyline in the books isn't terribly gripping anyway, so I don't mind them taking some liberties with it. As long as I get the House of the Undying burning, I couldn't care less.

I suppose it's mostly stuff like "Boo hoo, Xaro isn't effete and they changed his reason for marrying Dany" or "Waah, the Spice Kings ISN'T IN THE BOOK!!"

this episode defientely gets a 6/10... Qarth is a complete disaster compared to what it is potrayed as in the book... Qorin Half is NOTHING like imagined... Half Jaw is a lil puppy compared to how is described in the book... and Asha Greyjoy continues to be a complete dissapointment.. i like her in the books but in the show she is so dinky and not really believable as a warrior princess... Arya is perfect though and i cannot wait for Jon Snow to bust some skulls next week... the direwolves need a bigger part too

Like I said, who cares about Qarth. Qhorin's appearance? Pfft. You mean Cleftjaw? Asha isn't a warrior princess.

I gave it an 8. I could have given it a 10 just on the sexiness of Jaqen. Yummm!

I have a serious problem with the NW out in the freezing cold without their heads covered. Come on guys! Their ears and noses would be frostbitten and they would freeze to death losing all of the heat from their heads. So far I am disappointed that Dolorous Edd hasn't been very funny.

That aside, I loved Arya/Jaqen/Tywin.

Tyrion is always on point.

Renly's death was as I imagined.

Loved Brienne and Cat.

Loved Littlefinger and Margaery.

I find Davos much more interesting on screen than I did in the books.

Stannis is still a bastard. Die, die, die! The actor portrays him just as I imagined.

I hate the Ironborn even more on screen than I do in the books, if that is possible.

I don't get how last season Bran was seeing a three-eyed crow and now it's a three-eyed raven? I recall Old Nan saying that crows are all liars.

Loved Daenerys, I really want to see her on the Iron Throne. Qarth looks awesome. I think Ser Jorah is a big douche, however, the actor does an excellent portrayal. Qaithe, is as mysterious that I imagined.

Edited by Ororo727 Jon Snow Fangirl

wow, what a fantastic episode! Favorite so far in season 2.

Scenes with tyrion and the wildfire were well done.

All of Arya's scenes... goosebumps and nerdchills galore

I really like how Bran has turned into the "lord of winterfell" and is now making his own decisions and not just relying on Maester Luwin to do everything for him.

Dany's storyline is great too, although I'm not a really big fan of the dynamic going on with her handmaiden's. Dany's story in Qarth is interesting enough without throwing in the distraction of two of Dany's handmaiden's disagreeing about whether or not Dany should be "Qartheen" or "Dothraki"

overall, total awesomeness, this is the first episode I thought worth of a 10/10

EDIT: A minor quip was how Renly's death was handled. It wasn't poorly done by any means, in fact it was quite well done, but the book did it sooo much better imo. Just the image of Renly's shadow drawing a sword and then Renly muttering "cold..." right before dying would have been so cool, but once all is said and done, Renly's death scene was still very emotional and I think had I not read the books I would have been perfectly satisfied.

Edited by Tewks44

I think it was a good hour of TV if you can some how manage to completely divorce it from the books. In that light it is probably an 8 or 9. As an adaptation it is probably a 3 to 4. The changes are starting to really add up and by next season this may just be a TV show inspired by the Song of Fire and Ice series, rather than an adaptation of it. I have to get some sleep so I will have to save my more in depth thoughts for later.

Brienne is knocking it out of the park. I don't care that they changed the Renly death scene a little bit. I loved seeing Brienne kick ass! I also loved the oaths that Brienne and Cat exchanged. Very powerful scene.

I LOVE what they're doing with Margaery! "I don't want to be a queen...I want to The Queen."

Tywin + Arya = Awesomeness. Jaqen + Arya = Perfection. So much chemistry between the two. Exactly how I pictured it in my mind.