Possible theory about Jojen Reed?

houseHB

• 7 months later...

The obvious reason that Jojen is not Howland is that there would be no reason for Howland to disguise his identity as a young boy when visiting Winterfell in the first place. And disguising yourself as your son is not the best cover story for somebody looking to stay hidden.

GRRM has said that Jon will eventually learn the truth about his mother. For me, The only way that can happen is if Howland Reed tells him, somehow I doubt Howland told his children, or will send word by Raven. Nobody else survived the incidents at the Tower of Joy. Bran might learn the truth through his meditations but I'm under the impression that he is learning to become an immovable tree so it's unlikely he will have to opportunity to speak with Jon.

I'm of the belief that Howland Reed has come to possess Robb Stark's will, Ned's bones, and will make an appearance at the Wall early in the next book.

I like the creative thinking though! I love reading thought provoking fringe theories.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm

Howland will not have a POV character because he knows too much, says the author. Where might I hide/glamor someone that needs to be at Winterfell when his kids are there, helps his kids get Bran where he needs to be, and proves to be a perfect vessel for training Bran how to warg? Hmmm.

Hodor.

Here are my thoughts on this theory. I think we can scrap the Benjamin Button part, that's really crackpot.

For Jojen being Howland

He is so much more affected by the travel north because he is so much older than the others travelers

When Robb sent Maege Mormont to talk to Howland it is not mentioned if she talked to him or not. In Dance her oldest daughter says that she is with 2 of her daughters but not where. If she is still in with the Reeds could it be to make sure that she doesn't tell anyone that Howland went to find bran?

Against Jojen being Howland

I'm rather surprised to say that I can't think of any textual evidence to say that he is not Jojen purely because all we really know about Jojen and Meera is what they have said about themselves. I mean this theory really sounds like a stretch, it really does. Someone help me list reasons why this theory can't work

Jojen COULD be Howland reincarnated but not a Benjamin Button thing, if Jojen was Howland reincarnated it would explain why he didn't show up when Robb called the banners, it can't be due to his age because of Meera (who is definitely his daughter) being 18 and his oldest child, making Howland a few years older than Ned

I'd think there would have been some kind of hint when Meera is telling the story of the knight of the laughing tree. Haven't read it in a while, but I don't recall any such hints

Actually, what's strange about the Laughing Tree story is Lyanna had to chase off men picking on Howland because he was too small to take care of himself. Yet Ned credits him for saving his life at the Tower of Joy. How could Howland fight The elite kingsguard, but not dickhead knights at a tourney? Something mystical...?

I know the narrators are unreliable, but already clues dont add up.

• 8 months later...

I see no reason to simply throw this theory out. There's no concrete evidence that Howland Reed even exists, so he could be anyone. Hell, he could be a wight. He could be Daenerys. He could be Jojen. He could be a rabbit. I, however, like the idea that he's Jojen. It makes a weird sort of sense. I'm not saying it's provable through textual evidence we've had so far, but it would make sense. Why would Howland Reed be sitting in a swamp twiddling his thumbs? If R+L=J, Jon's gotta find out at some point. It would make sense for Jojen-Howland to be there already, rather than Howland starting to make his way up now. If he isn't Jojen, he's certainly late to the party.

Some good points for the theory. I like it :D

Howland is not Jojen. Jojen and Meera were sent to Winterfell to pledge fealty to Robb for Howland. Howland was ordered to hold Greywater Watch and has to date. Greywater Watch continually gets avoided for battle and forces go else where. Howland is holding it and doing a good job of fighting off any opposition to the point that he isn't even being attached anymore. In the eyes of Roose Bolton he is someone that can be avoided for time being. Howland will hold Greywater Watch and Bolton will not summon him or attach him until necessary.

Jojen being Howland is a dumb idea and I personally wouldn't like it. Here is why, this is story even with some magic and dragons is very real. A good guy can't walk into a city and just rip through everyone and win. It is realistic, Therefore if Jojen (or Howland like you jackasses think) tells Jon he is a Stargaryen (like that?) and then dies then Jojen would have to tell him in front of a crowd. If it is private and then he dies and then Jon runs off to tell the world I am a Stargaryen no one will believe him. I don't like the story and that will be a terrible way for Howland to be introduced. He is way to pivotal to be nothing more than a sickly greenseer.

So let me possibly blow your mind - the Reeds bloodline is of the first men and children of the forest. That is how they are spectacular with defending and fighting in their land, also explains the Reeds loyalty to Starks, and also their ability to Greensee. Howland will turn up and will have a pivotal but if Martin makes Jojen Howland and we never truly meet Howland then all he did was take a character that readers can't wait for and hide him and kill him while amongst one of the more boring story lines in the books, Brans. I will be disappointed.

Archived