[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

teemo

My nitpicks are the NW in the cold without hats ...

I agree that that was completely ridiculous. When it’s 30 or 40 degrees below zero, or worse with the wind, you never ever ever go without a hat. That wind will freeze an ear off faster than you would believe.

I was really frustrated that the whole wildfire idea is Joffrey's! The kid is supposed to have been an utter idiot, and Tyrion the capable leader! The idea ought to have been his, he has need of some credit... Even Tywin acknowledges the smartness of the move... Why steal all his glory away? I'm annoyed at such small changes, because they seem entirely pointless

Not such a big deal, methinks. The manner in which Joffrey was intending to use it would have been potentially disastrous, as Bronn pointed out. Tyrion's reapplication of it is genius. Besides, if you remember Tyrion really gets nothing in the way of credit for his defense of King's Landing anyway. The reader knows his value, but his father/family always manages to discount him, one way or another.

Arya is almost pampered compared to how she was really treated in harrenhall. It's important to understand what she becomes later.

brienne killing the guards. In spite of her appearence and the way she acts, brienne is a very sensitive person for whom killing is a big deal .

Stannis is just...not stannis.

all the useless changes in quarth.

I don't like how they're putting all of cersei's "evil doings" on joffrey's back (not especially in this episode but still) .

Didn't like Loras' reaction to renly's death.

They're just killing jon's character and making his story arc boring.

Quaithe talking to Jorah and not Dany?

I will cry for the reeds .

But on the whole i liked the episode. I especially liked that tyrion seemed alittle less "all white" ( not being very upset about the whores for exemple). He's not Ned! I liked Davos too.

My nitpicks:

- The Fist of the First Men is in a snowy wasteland. I knew those photos from the Iceland set looked wrong a few months ago. Where is the forest?

- Arya's story looks like a walk in the park.

- The Sea Bitch is a carrack. I've always pictured Iron Island ships as Viking longboats and Westerosi ships as galleys

- Asha still not doing it for me.

I just realised something. Renly says he's going to crush his brother's army in the morning but in the show Stannis doesn't even have his army on land. They're all aboard his fleet and only come sailing in once Renly is dead.

Maybe Renly's Calvary are excellent swimmers :)

My nitpick is Jon being allowed to join the Rangers merely because he volunteered. This is a sensitive and difficult mission - why would they take a green boy out on his first ranging?!

It made more sense when Qhorin chose him.....

I don't think that's a grammatical error. Saying ' "To" whomever' makes it an indirect object, therefore the oblique form "whom" is used.

Absolutely not. In “To whom it may concern”, the object of the preposition is not “whom”. It’s the entire clause “whom it may concern”. Rearrange that into “it may concern whom” and you see that the object of the verb is “whom”, and so the oblique case is called for here. Swap who/whom for he/him to verify that you got the case right: “it may concern him” is right, so “it may concern whom” is also right. That means “to whom it may concern” is right.

That’s not what is happening with Cersei’s blunder. In her screwed-up sentence, she says something “to whoever did it”. The object is not the word following to; it is the entire clause. That clause is “whoever did it”. Again swap in he/him to verify which should go there. You have to say “he did it”; you cannot say “*him did it”. Therefore, “whoever did it” is correct. “Him” didn’t do anything, for goodness’ sake!

Again, this is all basic English grammar.

Analogous to "To whom it may concern". Cersei said it correctly.

No, CrypicWeirwood was right. Cersei said it incorrectly. http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/whomever-whoever.aspx

I was upset that Tywin definitely smiled this episode, and almost kinda smiled the episode before.

Also, in the books Brienne is like 20~ years old while in the series she looks more like 40, 45. Aside from her size and her hair color, I imagined her completely different.

I also think they are trying to soften Theons betrayal and make it look like he was manipulated into it rather than having it planned all along; not sure why that is.

In the first series I was disappointed that Tyrion got knocked out before the battle of the Green Fork, rather than demonstrating bravery (if not proficiency) in the battle. But I shrugged it off. But I’m really not happy about Cersei being the originator of the wildfire plan. The wildfire & chain combo was Tyrion’s rather smart idea to defend KL. One of my favourite little beats of the novel is Garlan Tyrell being the only person to recognise Tyrion’s contribution to the victory. So any diminishing of that, especially the idea that Cersei and bloody Joffrey came up with the wildfire idea…even if only the relatively piss poor idea of using trebuchets to fling it every which way, annoys me.

Minor maybe, but it grinds my gears.

In the first series I was disappointed that Tyrion got knocked out before the battle of the Green Fork, rather than demonstrating bravery (if not proficiency) in the battle. But I shrugged it off. But I’m really not happy about Cersei being the originator of the wildfire plan. The wildfire & chain combo was Tyrion’s rather smart idea to defend KL. One of my favourite little beats of the novel is Garlan Tyrell being the only person to recognise Tyrion’s contribution to the victory. So any diminishing of that, especially the idea that Cersei and bloody Joffrey came up with the wildfire idea…even if only the relatively piss poor idea of using trebuchets to fling it every which way, annoys me.

Minor maybe, but it grinds my gears.

Actually, it was also Cersei's idea in the book to make the wildfire. When Tyrion found out about it, he took over it, and he is the one who came up with the plan on how they would use it, in conjunction with his chain.

But yes, Cersei is the one who ordered it to be made in the beginning, it was definitely her idea. It was Tyrions idea to fill the ships full of it, and it was Tyrion's idea to have the men practice with dumbie jars.

No, no, no! That’s not right at all. The sentence is “To whomever did it, I say well done.” The object of the preposition to is the entire caluse whoever did it. Think of it as “to (whoever did it)”.

A relative pronoun in English always takes on the case of the function it serves within its dependent clause. The subject of that whole clause is whoever, just as that clause’s verb is did and its own object is it. You can’t be thrown off by the proximity of the preposition, because it governs the entire clause, not just the word following.

Trust me on this one. It’s basic English grammar.

Most people should never use whomever, because they nearly always use it incorrectly. Including Cersei. No one will ever laugh at you for using who when you should really be using whom, but using whom where who is called for is simply risible. It’s hypercorrective error that makes you look like a pretentious idiot.

Yup, that’s Cersei all right.

Pot, meet kettle.

Why did Sam say it was 1000 years since the last time the White Walkers have been seen, instead of 8000? That was just stupid. The whole point of the War for the Dawn happening so long ago is that most everyone thinks it never happened and that the WW are just fairy tale creatures like snarks and grumpkins.

After reading complaints about how much Cat is lessened in the show I've been paying more attention to her scenes and how they differ from the book and it certainly is a disappointment.

In the book Brienne is barely holding her own, not surprising with what she just witnessed and the fact that unlike the show she is not wearing her armor, until Cat convinces Ser Robar on her honor that Brienne is innocent and gets him to help them. She then knocks Ser Emmon to his knees with an iron brazier and ends with “Brienne, with me,” Catelyn commanded." A far cry from the show where she simply shrinks back and waits for Brienne to tell her what to do. It truly is a damn shame.

Bran giving orders to Rodrick about how to employ the troops is strange. He's only 11 in the series at this point, right? Rodrick or Luwyn should be the one in charge, not an 11 old boy.

Bran didn't give orders to Rodrick about the troops. He just told him to take whatever was needed.

Why did Sam say it was 1000 years since the last time the White Walkers have been seen, instead of 8000? That was just stupid. The whole point of the War for the Dawn happening so long ago is that most everyone thinks it never happened and that the WW are just fairy tale creatures like snarks and grumpkins.

I agree. It's like they are making so many pointless changes just for the sake of being different. You said it, 1,000 years is ridiculous, and I am pretty sure in season one Ned said, "The White Walkers have been gone for thousands of years". Thousands is better than one thousand. So why in the hell did they change it???

Archived