[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

teemo

I disagree, I don't realy feel that there has been much love from Loras side in the series, more manipulation, there was some when he was sulking by Renly's corpse, but that could just be the mourning of a good friend. If we were to have seen the Havok he wreaked, I feel that would have been a more genuine response for the loss of the love of your life. But that might just be me..

well, 2 things: we don't know that he didn't slay people when he found Renly, they just didn't show it or mention it yet. Also they've shown their relationship 100x more than was in the book already so I don't think it was necessary. They have to cut things to make the show possible and I'm fine with that cut. They've already had Loras go down on Renly, what more does he need to do to show his love?

I was really frustrated that the whole wildfire idea is Joffrey's! The kid is supposed to have been an utter idiot, and Tyrion the capable leader! The idea ought to have been his, he has need of some credit... Even Tywin acknowledges the smartness of the move... Why steal all his glory away? I'm annoyed at such small changes, because they seem entirely pointless

Yeah they're building up Joff, which steals Tyrions thunder and also Cersi. She coming off less evil and cunning than in the book.

Xaro says: "Daenerys Targaryen the first of your name"

Thats not true and she's never called that in the books. She was named after another Daenerys in her family line. Dany has plenty of other titles that he could have used (storm born, unburnt, etc.) Absolutely no need to make one up. Another small but pointless deviation that really got under my skin.

Ok for your first point, but they have only showed us a sexual relationship, where I think it is possible that Loras is simply using Renly's Homosexuality against him, not all the sweetness and love I get the feeling of in the books.

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

going down on a guy isn't the same as loving him I'd say

I try not to nitpick too much about the show, I've accepted the fact that certain sequences would be changed/certain characters would be cut, but the casting for Dagmer bugs me. He doesn't look remotely like the way he's described in the books. With the exception of him and Xaro, every other character matches their book counterparts (or at least are recognizable). There's also the fact that Doreah is still around. I guess HBO likes to keep the pretty faces alive.

Ok for your first point, but they have only showed us a sexual relationship, where I think it is possible that Loras is simply using Renly's Homosexuality against him, not all the sweetness and love I get the feeling of in the books.

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

going down on a guy isn't the same as loving him I'd say

In the show he does want to go after Stannis, so that would imply more love for Renly than just using him, otherwise he'd want to align with Stannis now...

Of course a lot of people have already mentioned the most egregious changes -- Tickler dying too early, Arya mouthing off to Tywin, no Reeds or Ramsay on the horizon -- but was anyone else seriously bothered by the 17th-century-lookin' Sea Bitch? The Ironmen sail longships, not merchant galleons! Vikings, not Spanish armada sailors! N.B.: Here's the Sea Bitch from the show. And here's a longship (remember how often the Ironmen's ships are referred to as longships - ALWAYS). I really don't know what they're thinking.

Yes! Thank you for also noticing this. When Theon starts his scene, and it pans to the Sea Bitch, I thought he was already at Stoney Shore, captured it, and was now looking at a Northman's ship anchored off-shore. Then he called it the Sea Bitch, and the scene went on, and I realized WAT DA F00K that's not a reaver's longship.

Apparently the new motto of the "Iron-Islanders" is "We Do Not Row".

Apparently the new motto of the "Iron-Islanders" is "We Do Not Row".

:lmao:

Speaking of this, is anyone else getting tired of hearing "Iron-Islanders" instead of "Ironborn" or "Ironmen"? And "White Walkers" constantly instead of "Others"? :stillsick:

I've been dissapointed with the portrayal of Stannis more than any other character because we all know that he is the only one of the five kings still in the game so I hate that he seems like a jerk. My fiance, a non-reader, can't stand Stannis and was really mad that he killed Renly. To someone who has just watched the show and loves the Starks, Renly just made a great deal with Cat that seemed like it would make everything perfect and then he is killed. In the book, I really didn't think Stannis knew, but the show made it seem like he was perfectly aware and just didn't want to hear it.

I was also sad to not see Loras go nuts and kill his fellow kingsguard over Renly's death.

There are no more crows in the show, only ravens, including three-eyed ones. That makes the whole three-eyed crow business of the erstwhile Lord Commander Brynden — a former crow — just so much nonsense.

this really got under my skin during the episode. on the one hand, it's not that big of a deal, but on the other hand, why on earth would they change that? it really baffles me. do they not understand foreshadowing?

:lmao:

Speaking of this, is anyone else getting tired of hearing "Iron-Islanders" instead of "Ironborn" or "Ironmen"? And "White Walkers" constantly instead of "Others"? :stillsick:

We're never going to hear anything called the "Others" in this show thanks to Lost, but I agree that Ironborn or Ironmen would be nice to hear and I don't see why we don't.

I don't mind the Tyrell response scene too much. I actually like Margaery's response about being THE queen; her character is very interesting in the show whereas in the book, I could really care less. I feel the same way about Theon and Tywin. I think Loras has been well established as being in love with Renly. No, they don't show his rage, but he doesn't want to leave Renly even though it's urgent that he does so. He also wants Stannis dead immediately, which means the rage is directed away from Brienne and onto Stannis. However I do think it's strange that he dismissed Brienne and Catelyn of all guilt immediately. It does follow logic that she was loyal to Renly, but he was absolutely annoyed that she bested him in battle and then got promoted to Kingsguard on the show. It seems like an inconsistency in his character's reasoning.

I agree with people about the 3-eyed Raven :bang: Just sloppy work, and the second episode in a row where the story supervisors utterly fail.

Also, how come Renly is talking about defeating Stannis' army in the morning, but come morning we see Stannis's fleet come sailing towards the coast. So Stannis' army wasn't actually on land and ready to be defeated, unless Renly's army could walk on the water, right? All these changes from the books just makes for much more confusion, because the changes are not integrated properly into the remaining story. It's simply annoying.

And yes, how would Loras know that Stannis is behind the killing of Renly, when everybody suspects Catelyn and/or Brienne.

One change I, for fairness sake, should mention is that I'm happy with is that Doreah didn't die in the Red Waste. Mostly because I find her both pretty and pleasant, in contrast to (Irri+Jhiqui) who simply is annoying.

Finally, I am irritated by that change of Tywin's character, which I suppose is to give him more lines and let him interact with with the likes of Arya (or whatever alias she uses at Harrenhal. Anyone? Has Tywin asked her, since she works for him now?). But Tywin Lannister shouldn't waste time on simple servants, even to score cheap popularity points in a tv-show.

Xaro says: "Daenerys Targaryen the first of your name"

Thats not true and she's never called that in the books. She was named after another Daenerys in her family line. Dany has plenty of other titles that he could have used (storm born, unburnt, etc.) Absolutely no need to make one up. Another small but pointless deviation that really got under my skin.

Well... she’s the first queen regnant of that name. The other was merely a princess, which doesn’t count. You only get a number if you’re actually the ruling monarch. That’s why Dany was insisting that Viserys be remembered as the third of his name: she was trying to insist that he be considered a real king, not just an uncrowned prince.

How does Loras know that it was Stannis when he wasn't even there?

Did the shadow baby ding dong ditch his tent before visiting Renly?

Seriously?

No.

ETA And is there a single idea credited to the original creator of said idea{/i] at all? Is there some kind of contest? It's tough to keep track of whose idea was whose, and a shame that I would have to since I'm current on the novels.

How does Loras know that it was Stannis when he wasn't even there?

Because Stannis was the one who most stood to benefit — and benefit tremendously — from Renly’s death. Brienne stood to gain nothing; rather, she lost.

Therefore, Stannis is the Bad Guy here.

Didn't they mention it was a three-eyed raven (not crow) in Bran's dreams before in the series? I rewatched the first season recently and i seem to remember it was mentioned...

i don't think they ever say it's a raven, although i believe in one of the special features on the dvd/bluray set they talk about using digital effects to make a 3 eyed raven. i was hoping that was just a mistake on the part of the speaker. it really makes no sense to me why they would choose to change it from a crow to a raven.

Well... she’s the first queen regnant of that name. The other was merely a princess, which doesn’t count. You only get a number if you’re actually the ruling monarch. That’s why Dany was insisting that Viserys be remembered as the third of his name: she was trying to insist that he be considered a real king, not just an uncrowned prince.

I see... So he emphasizing that he would make her ruler, and therefore first of her name. Got it. Still doesn't sit well with me considering I don't ever remember her being referenced that way in the books. Just a nitpick.

Archived