[No Spoilers] brienne

I think that Gwendolyn Christie's Brienne has a fantastic presence, both physical and acting-wise. I'm barely aware of anyone else in a scene whenever she's on the screen.

She overacted on Renly's death, crying her eyes out than turning her emotions on a dime to escape, not gonna sugar coat it, her acting was pretty bad that scene.

I actually thought she nailed it pretty perfectly, given what is described in the book. When Renly is cut, she screams "NO!" As she's holding him when he collapses, she throws her head back and howls in 'wordless anguish'. And she immediately jumps into combat mode, until Catelyn knocks one of them out and they make a fast escape.

The scene was acted and directed spot-on, IMO!

I figured they would be able to fix up the physical stuff, I was worried Gwendolyn Christie could not carry the character drama. She has really nailed that part of it, a warrior woman with an inner wall , a little awkward and self conscious , tho somewhat guileless she also shows her cleverness later on. It's a tough role. Can hardly believe how good this cast is.

I actually thought she nailed it pretty perfectly, given what is described in the book. When Renly is cut, she screams "NO!" As she's holding him when he collapses, she throws her head back and howls in 'wordless anguish'. And she immediately jumps into combat mode, until Catelyn knocks one of them out and they make a fast escape.

The scene was acted and directed spot-on, IMO!

Everything she does and says is kind of clunky but that's what makes it work. I think the general clunkiness also helps establish how well armored she is, both literally and figuratively.

Everything she does and says is kind of clunky but that's what makes it work. I think the general clunkiness also helps establish how well armored she is, both literally and figuratively.

I agree. She's described as awkward many times in the text, and the way Gwen has adapted Brienne's movements (especially the way she walks) illustrate that. In the scene where she pledges herself to Cat, Martin writes "The tall girl knelt awkwardly, unsheathed Renly’s longsword, and laid it at [Catelyn's] feet." - - I remember thinking to myself 'PERFECT' when I saw the scene Sunday night, the way she had to get that entire 6'3" frame down to the ground, and how clumsily she seemed to kneel.

However, during the fight scene in Renly's tent, her movements were anything but awkward. She was fast & fluid, which is how I always imagined Brienne fighting. Looked to me like Gwen did some serious training!

I agree. She's described as awkward many times in the text, and the way Gwen has adapted Brienne's movements (especially the way she walks) illustrate that. In the scene where she pledges herself to Cat, Martin writes "The tall girl knelt awkwardly, unsheathed Renly’s longsword, and laid it at [Catelyn's] feet." - - I remember thinking to myself 'PERFECT' when I saw the scene Sunday night, the way she had to get that entire 6'3" frame down to the ground, and how clumsily she seemed to kneel.

However, during the fight scene in Renly's tent, her movements were anything but awkward. She was fast & fluid, which is how I always imagined Brienne fighting. Looked to me like Gwen did some serious training!

She trained like mad. It really shows as she looks like such a natural fighter. It would be easy to play that role as butch and all but the way she manages awkward is unbelievable. Awkward and devoted. I loved her scene with Cat.

I really didn't like her reaction to Renly's death. It didn't feel genuine at all. Then, when she gives her service to Catelyn, it didn't seem believable with her hatred towards Stannis. I don't think she has Brienne's personality right at all. The fight scene in the tent was impressive though.

Having been one of those who at first thought the actress was too slim and good looking to be convincing as Brienne, I really changed my opinion of her on seeing this episode. Her reaction to Renly's death seemed genuine enough to me. The switching of her loyalty to Catelyn was perhaps a little fast - but it also didn't come across as if she was simply moving on and replacing Renly with the nearest available person. Brienne needs to serve, she's lost once Renly dies and she's accused as the murderer; swearing to help Catelyn is a choice which makes good sense and emphasises the devotion to moral principles and ability to think straight in the face of personal hardship which characterise Brienne. Furthermore, Brienne's seen enough to know that she respects Catelyn's morals and that Catelyn is doing her best to help Brienne. Brienne ensures Catelyn won't stop her avenging Renly before she swears to serve her.

Basically, I think deciding to serve Catelyn was a quick but intelligent replacement of Brienne's practical purpose in life, but not a dismissal of her emotional devotion to Renly. I thought her grief and her interaction with Catelyn were done well.

She overacted on Renly's death, crying her eyes out than turning her emotions on a dime to escape, not gonna sugar coat it, her acting was pretty bad that scene.

I agree, I'm not looking for an exact copy of Brienne from the books, but I would atleast like her emotions to make sense. Her acting seems forced so far.

I really didn't like her reaction to Renly's death. It didn't feel genuine at all. Then, when she gives her service to Catelyn, it didn't seem believable with her hatred towards Stannis. I don't think she has Brienne's personality right at all. The fight scene in the tent was impressive though.

Considering how after that she basically forgets about her whole kill Stannis thing (throughout all of her Feast for Crows chapters, it's only mentioned once and in passing, and not even by name), I don't know that it's very important.

I concur with Anvilbreaker. We have been given the impression that she's already a stone cold killer but this takes away from Brienne's humble and insecure nature,which is her defining characteristic. We've been primed in her backstory that she's amazing in the practice yard but killing for real is something she knows nothing about. Altering this trait changes her character completely.

It annoyed me that they had her kill the guards in renly's tent. later on in the book they make it clear when her first kills are

Honestly, at this point, why is anyone surprised that Brienne's character is getting changed? It would be better to ask which characters they haven't changed. It feels like fan-fiction at this point.

Archived