[Book Spoilers] Renly's Gorget

scurvy

D&D were wise to meld those two stories into one, this narrative makes more sense, especially as a visual narrative.

I think they were wise to meld the stories too, but I disagree about it making sense visually. Comparing this scene against the final one of the previous episode when Melisandre births her shadow baby, and trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who doesn't know about those two killings in the books, I can't escape questioning the visuals. Where exactly were Davos and Mel going, in whatever that tunnel was with a barred gate, if the killing was in a field full of tents and pavilions? Visually, we need some explanation of that tunnel.

The only part I'm not really happy about is Loras believing it wasn't Brienne. I mean come one that means no "Seathe your sword or I will shove it someplace even Renly couldn't find" which is definitely one of my top favorite Jaime quotes. :(

I am extremely disappointed as well. I mean, Brienne in a sense stole Loras scene. Loras didn't hold it together in the books. Brienne was his first target more than anything, not Stannis. He needed to have a breakdown, and he definitely wouldn't of left Renly's body. I mean, I shouldn't of got my hopes on how this would translate on screen, but.we should of least got that.

Me too. I wanted to see Loras kill the guards too. I think that was a big scene for the character of Loras because it showed just how much he loved Renly, I mean killing your sworn brothers is a big deal. And I know that the show has shown their relationship but to me two semi-sex scenes are not as powerful as him breaking down with grief. Plus show-Loras could really benefit from a badass scene. He's suppose to be a great knight but the show hasn't shown that.

I suppose they had Loras blame Stannis instead of Brienne so that he may have a reason to join the Lannisters against Stannis wich is fine except than now we won't get the scene where he threatens Brienne and that's a shame.

I was upset they didnt include the Loras scene, IMO Brienne should have beat them escaped, Loras should have come in and finished the job.

I had already seen Season 1 when I read AGOT so I knew the relationship between him and Renly, but my friend at work started reading AGOT and ACOK before the Season 1 DVD was released. When Loras went crazy this was the point where he sussed Renly and Loras might be a little more than just good friends.

However Loras vs. Brienne showdown might still happen albeit a little differant Loras could just be like "you swore to protect him" then things have to be calmed down.

give a more solid reason for the Tyrells not to rally with Stannis.

I agree and I think that this scene was more necessary to move the plot along than making a second person go berserk over Renly's death within minutes. The writers gave Brienne and Loras different stages of grief.

I'm a huge Loras fan and obviously, I would have rather had him get both scenes but I see why this narrative choice was made and also, the actress who played Brienne nailed it so beautifully.

I found the scene of Renly's assassination to be a bit anticlimactic and too predictable. The shadow should have come up more suddenly. I also thought that cutting through Renly's throat and splashing blood on Brienne were details that made that scene really disturbing in the book. It was sudden and brutal. I guess we would have needed a bit more screen time with Renly before the assassination to make it really hard-hitting. Perhaps a longer parley scene and less (or none) of Ros.

I found the scene of Renly's assassination to be a bit anticlimactic and too predictable. The shadow should have come up more suddenly. I also thought that cutting through Renly's throat and splashing blood on Brienne were details that made that scene really disturbing in the book. It was sudden and brutal. I guess we would have needed a bit more screen time with Renly before the assassination to make it really hard-hitting. Perhaps a longer parley scene and less (or none) of Ros.

Agreed, and his scene where he laughs at Jofferey should have been left in, making him somewhat of a fan favorite.

Archived