the future of gendry

stephanson

hi guys,

gendry was one of my favourite characters while reading a clash of kings, yet his role decreases with every book. Why would g.r.r. martin introduce him, have him form a relationship with arya and then emphasise his background as robert's bastard and then forget him. Hs anyone heard news of him in future books/ will he ever come back?

I think Gendry could end up as King at the end of it all. I don't think the character was introduced randomly. GRRM has some sort of plan for him. The last two books are likely to be a bloodbath of sorts, and I see Gendry as a likely candidate to still be standing at the end. Given his parentage, he would have a claim.

Gendry has to play an important role somewhere down the line. I really loved him too and constantly wanted to know more about him and his story.

Gendry is strong and is a survivor. GRRM wouldn't just show him to us, and then do nothing with his story. ......right?

Out of all Robert Baratheon's children, Gendry has so far has the biggest role to play. Only Mya Stone of the other bastards has another smaller role so far, so it seems certain Gendry will come into play later. I doubt it's for no reason he was introduced as early as he was and then tagged along with Arya on her journey, to be dropped off at the BWB when Arya needed to get her "darker training" alone (well ok, she was first abducted by the Hound so we get some extra info on him, including his "death"). It seems clear whatever role he is going to play is going to be in relation to Arya and her storyline.

Stannis will definitely die at some point. Yes, Gendry is good candidate for next Stormlord.

Gendry doesn't know he is a royal bastard though. Brienne understood, and Ned knew, but Arya didn't figure it out either.

Who is going to legitimise Gendry? Queen Daenerys? Queen Cersei? Tommen through Margaery? The Tyrells have no particular love for Stannis or Robert. Cersei cares nothing for the Baratheons and wants her own children before any of Stannis or any bastards. Dany calls Robert the Usurper and isn't too happy with the Baratheons over all. She may be made to reconsider, but then someone needs to bring it up for her to reconsider?

I too love gendry, and would be heartbroken if he's killed off or just shuffled out of the books. its funny how sometimes you feel more strongly about the minor characters then you do about the major ones.

I dont know if you guys watch the series or not, but gendrys really emphasized in the show a lot more than the books (at least in S2) - i feel hopeful this means grrm still has plans for him later on that the producers are somewhat privy to :)

that said, i cant envision anything too dramatic - certainly have no hopes for him to become king or the baratheon heir (not that I dont think he'd do a great job). its not just that he's a bastard, but hes so lowborn and uneducated.

Gendry doesn't know he is a royal bastard though. Brienne understood, and Ned knew, but Arya didn't figure it out either.

Who is going to legitimise Gendry? Queen Daenerys? Queen Cersei? Tommen through Margaery? The Tyrells have no particular love for Stannis or Robert. Cersei cares nothing for the Baratheons and wants her own children before any of Stannis or any bastards. Dany calls Robert the Usurper and isn't too happy with the Baratheons over all. She may be made to reconsider, but then someone needs to bring it up for her to reconsider?

Whatever happen to gendry, it happen ATER main book plot. At this point every end of Gendry's journey may be explained by anything.

that said, i cant envision anything too dramatic - certainly have no hopes for him to become king or the baratheon heir (not that I dont think he'd do a great job). its not just that he's a bastard, but hes so lowborn and uneducated.

It depends. If second Long Night will reduce Westeros population to 1/1000, then nobility/education will not mean much. Gendry may become Stormlord WITHOUT knowing he is son of Robert...

I do not see him sitting the iron throne at the end, although ruling storm's end is a possibility if he bends the knee to Dany/Jon/Sansa/Aegon/Whomever ends up with it.

I always just thought his role was to help forge/reforge lightbringer.

I do not see him sitting the iron throne at the end, although ruling storm's end is a possibility if he bends the knee to Dany/Jon/Sansa/Aegon/Whomever ends up with it.

I always just thought his role was to help forge/reforge lightbringer.

IMO his role will be rebuilding Westeros as leader of one of small groups of survivors.

So, If his role is becoming some form of lord, do you think he will end up romantically with arya? I know that they are young and its a bit creepy but still. I mean g.r.r martin originally planned a gap and skip in time. perhaps they were meant to be set up and then skip forward until they were reunited. and thats taking longer than planned. IF a stark does win the iron throne or at least the north, perhaps they will legitimise gendry and arya's request/ hmm this seems all too hopeful though. Or perhaps arya wont care that he is lowborn and not legitimised and will live a commoners life with him (since she never much liked being a lady anyway_

IMO, Gendry will end up as the last standing Baratheon and his name will be legitimized. I also think that he and Arya will end up together at the end. Though it sounds odd because Arya has always been portrayed as a tomboy who is hell bent on revenge, you could tell that she subtly had a crush on Gendry. Afterall, she always tried to look out for him and vice versa...plus I think it would be a funny reunion since Gendry made comments on her high-born lineage before he knew about his own. I could see some ribbing coming his way from Arya.

Isn't everyone forgetting Edric Storm? Of Roberts bastards, he is the oldest male with the best education, and most natural to rule Storm's End. Everyone knows who he is, and he seems well liked at Storm's End. He also has good repport with Shireen, and they seem like a natural marriage to consolidate Baratheon power.

I like Gendry and all, but unless Edric somehow comes up as dead in the next little while, I wouldn't count Gendry as a contender for Storm's End's seat.

So, If his role is becoming some form of lord, do you think he will end up romantically with arya?

Why Arya? If he does end up becomming a legitimate Baratheon, it would make more sense to have him coupled with Sansa. In fact, if there was going to be a non-Jon/Dany/Aegon sitter of the Iron Throne, it might just be Gendry and Sansa.

Of course that means that the Iron Throne wouldn't hold quite the weight after the Battle for the Dawn II that prevents the Long Night II that it does now (or did at the beginning of the series), but I think we're all pretty much expecting that in the first place, right?

For the record, I don't think Gendry's fate is quite that high-fallutin'. I think he is instrumental during the war against the Others as a smith and/or fighter (could be helping to forge Lightbringer, could be that he becomes particularly proficient in working with obsidian). Also, I think that Arya will never again be "Arya," remaining faithful to her current training.

Why Arya? If he does end up becomming a legitimate Baratheon, it would make more sense to have him coupled with Sansa. In fact, if there was going to be a non-Jon/Dany/Aegon sitter of the Iron Throne, it might just be Gendry and Sansa.

Well, I'm pro Gendry+Arya instead of Sansa simply because they have a past and I would enjoy Arya meeting up with the "newly" highborn Gendry. I'm also pro Sansa-Sandor for the same reasons: they have a past and it will be interesting to see how they react to each other in a later meeting.

Just my wild guessing, but many of the marriages for power have been brokered by the parents and/or heads of household in the past. It seems like these people of power are dieing off more and more, leaving behind the younger generation to decide for themselves who they can or should marry, which might leave open the possibilities for matches b/t higher houses and lower houses during the immediate aftermath of the wars.

Archived