the future of gendry

stephanson

Gendry likes Arya because she’s is unlike anyone he has probably ever met (or been close to) never mind a girl, or a high-born for that matter. I don’t think he could stomach Sansa, even if it meant a lordship, as he is a champion of the underdog – she most certainly isn’t. She is probably pretty much everything he thought a highborn lady to be like.

In terms of him being ‘recognised’ as Roberts son – there is currently Stannis, Brienne and Varys (all of whom probably think fairly positively of him). In terms of someone actually legitimising him, well that would really take a change in power and a formation of new certain alliances ‘at the top’ (which I imagine we’re all expecting to happen).

In terms of Gendry getting back into the fold, Breinne Jamie and Stannis are all close by. Who knows, maybe he’ll be involved in saving Briennes life or even killing Stoneheart. Last time we met him he seemed awful grumpy under his current regime either that, or he was miffed because he regrets leaving Arya. It’s possible Breinne will convince others to follow the only Baratheon remaining to her but I can’t see it, and can’t see how he’d take up the crown. He must come back into the fray again though (and hopefully meet Arya again and maybe even be take named lord Baratheon).

But.

Its true, the Targs are more likely to meet Edric in the East first – but, if Dany has last say on everything I think there’ll be another sh!t storm. For that matter, for the romancers out there – if Arya is to fall in love (and with a Baratheon) she too is most likely to meet Edric again first, or if she’ll be like her Aunt, meet the Targaren Prince Aegon before coming close to Gendry again (as aren’t all 3 now out east?)

Arya is way out of his league. He was able to handle her more or less only because she was ten. He hated bloody mummers more than Lorche's men only because they were foreign, he hates highborn in general, while I think he had crush on Arya, he has too many issues. I don't think he would be understanding about FM stuff. Besides I think that deep down he is rather conservative and want a girl for which he is going to be the strong man and hero.

As his father he is destined to be a guy who won't get the girl. Good thing he is a smith, at least he has better way to get out his frustration that smashing poor Rhaegar.

Would love to have his POV.

Theon was gone for a decade or so, and he's practically one of the protagonists in ADwD! I think Gendry's role will have something to do with him being Arya's friend (crush?) and her ally and a smith (Ice? Lightbringer?) and a Baratheon.

I am sorry to disagree but I think that Gendry is just a minor character. At best you can hope that he will be mentioned and his fate somehow resolved before the end.

I don't think hat GRRM gave him role in previous books having in my mind bigger things for him. He was just a character he needed for Arya's story at that point.

Arya is way out of his league. He was able to handle her more or less only because she was ten. He hated bloody mummers more than Lorche's men only because they were foreign, he hates highborn in general, while I think he had crush on Arya, he has too many issues. I don't think he would be understanding about FM stuff. Besides I think that deep down he is rather conservative and want a girl for which he is going to be the strong man and hero.

As his father he is destined to be a guy who won't get the girl. Good thing he is a smith, at least he has better way to get out his frustration that smashing poor Rhaegar.

Would love to have his POV.

Couldn't imagine what his POV would be like.

I don't think he ever had a problem handling Ayra, he was never in awe of her and spent most of his time telling her when she was wrong. He'd hate the Faceless Men, and he's be right to (come on Ayra WTF?!), and his low opinion of high borns probably came from the fact he grew up in Kings Landing. He's all about helping/protecting, and prob frustrated cause (like all Baratheons) feels he's better than them - its that whole blood will out thing I suppose. In all honesty I can't see this his role being huge, unless its connect to Ayra (as Martin said he's gonna start bring the characters back together ala Lord of the Rings formula which will hopefully mean wolf pack reunion).

Thinking about this the other day. Point on 'poor Rhaegar', despite him being this perfect awesome human being - he deserves his blame for what happened, not just with Lyanna, it also appears he did sod-all to protected or prevent the crimes of his father. Eddard Stark would have (and did defy his King) as did Tyrion try to subvert King Joffery, and his own father. The best man won the day at Ruby Forge IMO :)

I like to imagine that Stannis will die, and that Gendry, Edric, and Mya will each become embroiled in different aspects of the plot - three new Baratheons. Maybe I would just be sad to see the Baratheon line fade out or be stamped out.

I don't think he ever had a problem handling Ayra, he was never in awe of her and spent most of his time telling her when she was wrong. He'd hate the Faceless Men, and he's be right to (come on Ayra WTF?!), and his low opinion of high borns probably came from the fact he grew up in Kings Landing. He's all about helping/protecting, and prob frustrated cause (like all Baratheons) feels he's better than them - its that whole blood will out thing I suppose. In all honesty I can't see this his role being huge, unless its connect to Ayra (as Martin said he's gonna start bring the characters back together ala Lord of the Rings formula which will hopefully mean wolf pack reunion).

Thinking about this the other day. Point on 'poor Rhaegar', despite him being this perfect awesome human being - he deserves his blame for what happened, not just with Lyanna, it also appears he did sod-all to protected or prevent the crimes of his father. Eddard Stark would have (and did defy his King) as did Tyrion try to subvert King Joffery, and his own father. The best man won the day at Ruby Forge IMO :)

rumor has it that Rhaegar was planning a coup of sorts at one time & planned to use a tourney to draw knights to his cause but Varys told Aerys which led to Aerys attending said tourney & stopping the plot. That was the first time Aerys had left the Red Keep in years if not decades.

rumor has it that Rhaegar was planning a coup of sorts at one time & planned to use a tourney to draw knights to his cause but Varys told Aerys which led to Aerys attending said tourney & stopping the plot. That was the first time Aerys had left the Red Keep in years if not decades.

I am sorry to disagree but I think that Gendry is just a minor character. At best you can hope that he will be mentioned and his fate somehow resolved before the end.

I don't think hat GRRM gave him role in previous books having in my mind bigger things for him. He was just a character he needed for Arya's story at that point.

That doesn't make sense, especially how now in the show he's the ONLY bastard of Robert Baratheon left.. And all the screen-time he's getting.. That would be just a bad text-to-screen adaptation, Gendry being this good friend of Arya's, being with her for what, three seasons? And then disappearing forever? Na-a, there's something for him down the road.

And all the screen-time he's getting.. That would be just a bad text-to-screen adaptation, Gendry being this good friend of Arya's, being with her for what, three seasons? And then disappearing forever? Na-a, there's something for him down the road.

I was about to make this same point. I know the producers are kind of taking direction from GRRM as to where the story is going, and it would be really bad TV if they stressed a character who's story goes nowhere.

Gendry will reforge Ice. That is his purpose.

That would be awesome. Ice was broken up into two swords- one for Jaime, one for Joff- right? Did they ever say what happened to Joff's sword? Also, maybe he figures out how to forge Dragonsteel? Kind of a shot in the dark, but it would make sense given what he does, and the impending war with The Others.

That would be awesome. Ice was broken up into two swords- one for Jaime, one for Joff- right? Did they ever say what happened to Joff's sword? Also, maybe he figures out how to forge Dragonsteel? Kind of a shot in the dark, but it would make sense given what he does, and the impending war with The Others.

Gendry already knows how to reforge a Valyrian blade: remember whose apprentice he was. His master said that it was hard to separate the two, and how they kept wanting to go back to their old shape. Gendry will have Ice itself helping him.

Some of you are waaaayyyy too concerned about Gendry and the issue of legitimization. Winter has arrived in Westeros and the Seven Kingdoms are falling apart. Think about the war that's coming, and the famine, and disease, and overall chaos. Everyone seems to think that either Jon or Dany will end up on the Iron Throne, but why do you assume there will even be an Iron Throne? What if Dany dies? What if the Dragons die? What if Jon is resurrected as an undead wight?

Yeah, he's a minor character, but everything else you've said doesn't make any sense. He doesn't serve Arya's story at all. He didn't need to be there. What do you think the point of Arya's journey through Westeros was?

Yeah, he's a minor character, but everything else you've said doesn't make any sense. He doesn't serve Arya's story at all. He didn't need to be there. What do you think the point of Arya's journey through Westeros was?

I would love to see Gendry as anykind of important player in the future, but realisticly its probably not going to happen. I think it would have to take a dramatic shift in storylines for anything like that to happen. I can't see either how he could have anything to do with forging a 'NEW', Ice. Where would he get his hands on the 'Oathkeeper', or Joffreys sword.....a bit of wishful thinking there I feel

well if Loras meets him and confuses him for Renly the was Brienne did the he'll have a whole different issue to worry about.

Could be an interesting meeting, being as having had a vat of boiling oil dumped on his head Ser Loras isn't going to be a pretty sight

I would love to see Gendry as anykind of important player in the future, but realisticly its probably not going to happen. I think it would have to take a dramatic shift in storylines for anything like that to happen. I can't see either how he could have anything to do with forging a 'NEW', Ice. Where would he get his hands on the 'Oathkeeper', or Joffreys sword.....a bit of wishful thinking there I feel

Those that think he'll be part of reforging Ice are engaging in wishful thinking. If ASOIAF was typical fantasy literature, then yes, maybe that would be a reasonable possibility. But it isn't. This isn't romantic high fantasy. Not in the slightest.

I think you have to ask yourself why his story is being told. Why are we given these glimpses of his story through the eyes and POV of other characters? Are you saying that you think he's just a character that GRRM randomly dreamed up? Window dressing?

The only answer I can come up with is that while he may not play much of a role in the actual POV narrative, he is part of the story nonetheless. Do you understand what I mean by that? There is a story that takes place off stage. The world doesn't revolve around the handful of characters that are granted POVs. The POVs are the narrative, but they aren't the whole story. Other stuff is happening too.

My best guess is that he plays a major part in the ending, in the resolution of the conflict and in whatever new order is established once the bloodbath is over, and this is why we're given some glimpes here and there of his story and what he's up to. Maybe he'll be a King, or maybe he'll be some kind of Lord. Whatever it is, we're being given these bits and pieces of his story so that we understand the context when we're given the answer later on.

Archived