the future of gendry

stephanson

That doesn't make sense, especially how now in the show he's the ONLY bastard of Robert Baratheon left.. And all the screen-time he's getting.. That would be just a bad text-to-screen adaptation, Gendry being this good friend of Arya's, being with her for what, three seasons? And then disappearing forever? Na-a, there's something for him down the road.

He wouldn't be the first character in the books that appears, plays his part and go in the background only to never come back or to come back and die.

And thinking about placing him on Iron Throne is totally ridiculous. There are, like, dozen, better pretenders to the throne. And speaking about Robert's bastards - Edric Storm is sitll alive and his mother is of Florents.

I dont want to derail the thread too much with talk on the TV show, but does anyone else feel a little disappointed with the way they're portraying TV Gendry? The actor is fine and I like his look, but hes no where near as sulky and moody as I fondly imagined.

I am almost certain that GRRM has stated on a Q&A that Gendry and Hot Pie will reappear at some point (anyone who can confirm this please jump in - hoping its not my overactive imagination). Of course, 'appear at some point' doesnt neccesarily mean the part will be that important, but i have high hopes :)

That doesn't make sense, especially how now in the show he's the ONLY bastard of Robert Baratheon left.. And all the screen-time he's getting.. That would be just a bad text-to-screen adaptation, Gendry being this good friend of Arya's, being with her for what, three seasons? And then disappearing forever? Na-a, there's something for him down the road.

I agree with this. We know that GRRM has told the producers what major events will occur in the last two books so that they have a better sense of where the story is going and also so they don't omit something that ends up being important. I think the emphasis on Gendry in the TV series shows that he will end up being somewhat important in the end as well. If he wasn't, there would be no reason for him to get anywhere near the screen time that he has.

As for what that end for him might be, I have no idea. I doubt its the Iron Throne though; since its been shown over and over that it was only the Targs with their outsider status that could keep the Seven Kingdoms together and otherwise its chaos. If Stannis does bite it though, I could see Gendry becoming lord of the Storm Lands or the Storm King if the ending does involve the kingdoms fracturing and going independent again.

I would love to see Gendry as anykind of important player in the future, but realisticly its probably not going to happen. I think it would have to take a dramatic shift in storylines for anything like that to happen. I can't see either how he could have anything to do with forging a 'NEW', Ice. Where would he get his hands on the 'Oathkeeper', or Joffreys sword.....a bit of wishful thinking there I feel

I think that there will be a triangle, with Arya being the missing link between Jon and Gendry. I think that Gendry will reforge Ice for Jon, and Jon returns Longclaw to the Mormonts (Jorah). Just my tuppence.

I personally adore the idea of Gendry being the one to forge the real Lightbringer (lets face it, Stannis' sword is a fake) and its obviously the best way to explain why GRRM made the character such a good smith. If this is the case, who would Gendry's Nissa Nissa be? Arya? As yet unnamed tavern wench that he falls in love with in hopes of having a simple life?

Also, when it comes to the show, I wouldn't put it past the producers to keep Gendry around because he is smoking hot, and since its HBO the quantity of sex and an attractive cast is important to their, um, "creativity".

I felt his significance to Arya's narrative in the second book was the 'heart-felt' sight of a Baratheon and Stark bonding naturally, like King Robert B. had wanted for himself and Lyanna (opposed to the political Sansa/Joffrey .. who isn't a B. anyway).

I don't think Gendry will amount to 'major' player in the game, but I do see him as a pivotal member of the Brotherhood.. Especially when they retake Riverrun (they will and soon, it is known) and doubly especially if Brienne reveals his identity.

He seems to be the best hope of House Baratheon has of not going extinct at the end of the day. I hope he gets legitimised somehow, by whoever sits on the Iron Throne. Or there's always Edric Storm.

Again, this obsession with legitimization. Why do you think that's so important?

That would be awesome. Ice was broken up into two swords- one for Jaime, one for Joff- right? Did they ever say what happened to Joff's sword? Also, maybe he figures out how to forge Dragonsteel? Kind of a shot in the dark, but it would make sense given what he does, and the impending war with The Others.

Joff's sword - Widow's Wail - is in King's Landing and waits until Tommen grows up.

George R.R Martin said it will be a bittersweet ending.whenever i think of the bitter ending,I always is reminded of Sansa and she will be forever in hiding.I think I can see Sansa and Gendry together in the future like Jaime said and eventually really fulfilling the Baratheon-Stark promise that Eddard and Robbert made.

Although I hope this doesnt happen as i kinda like Arya with Gendry and want Sansa to be out of hiding and be active Stark ,we have to admit that Arya and Gendry are so alike ,you need yin and yang to make it work.

George R.R Martin said it will be a bittersweet ending.whenever i think of the bitter ending,I always is reminded of Sansa and she will be forever in hiding.I think I can see Sansa and Gendry together in the future like Jaime said and eventually really fulfilling the Baratheon-Stark promise that Eddard and Robbert made.

Although I hope this doesnt happen as i kinda like Arya with Gendry and want Sansa to be out of hiding and be active Stark ,we have to admit that Arya and Gendry are so alike ,you need yin and yang to make it work.

So maybe Gendry will have a role in helping Sansa out of Vale.Lets face it both Jaime and Brienne are gonna meet Gendry and only of them would survive(My guess Jaime ),Jaime storyline and prophecies had hinted he will be in Kings Landing nearby Cercei,someone needs to continue the mission of searching Sansa..

Yeah, I think the Stark/Baratheon unity will come with (or be implied by) Gendry/Arya. Sansa's story seems to be pointing towards a reuniting with Sandor ex-Hound Clegane, some sort of uprising against Littlefinger, and ultimately a revenge against the Lannisters (in-particularly Cersei). Perhaps she can rally the Vale to her cause after ousting LF and march on KL while the Tyrells are preoccupied in the Reach and Aegon presses his forces from Storm's End. It would be a nice ending for a character that has been so abused. Either way, I do not see Gendry being part of Sansa's storyline.

I Know its a very long shot, but when I saw that House Baratheon was formed by the bastard half brother of Aegon the Conqueror a thought occured that Gendy might have some dragon related role.

Not only that, but his great grandmother (Robert Baratheons grandmother) was Eggs daughter, Rhaelle Targaryen.

I love tv gendry. I think he is perfect and has really good chemistry with maisie

Oh, I have no complaints regarding the actor himself (especially after the topless scene in the last episode *swoon* :P) I just feel that they changed Gendrys character. Then again, he is also older in the show, and perhaps being so grumpy and surly might have come off as just being stupid.

That means everything in the world of Westeros. Otherwise he is just a bastard with no rights, no lands, no name....

What matters is what men say matters, and which men are saying it, and how big their armies are. Legitimization was a huge deal in Medieval Europe as well, but that didn't stop William the Bastard from becoming Duke of Normandy and eventually conquering England.

Archived