the future of gendry

stephanson

1)ASoIaF was meant to be a trilogy.Therefore Gendry's role could have been fullfilled as it helped Ned to unravel the secret of Robert's kids.Also the fact that they were looking for him worked as the catalyst that set off Arya's path.Isn't that enough?As the story grew and went to seven books it's quite probable that Martin didn't have something extra in mind for him and neither is interested to create.

2)Martin himself said that in his books there are stories that are simply meant to be read for the pleasure of it and nothing more.It's not the Avengers people were a host of super-heroes will team-up in the end to save the world.

Anyway since will get a glimpse about what's going on at BwB camp during the next book Gendry will reappear there and we'll see what's up for him.He's quite an adorable character so i hope your optimism about participating in the upcoming events proves right.

i agree, Gendry's probably done...how about Edric Storm though? i dont remember what was the last scene of his but I dont imagine Melissandre or Stannis would still be concerned about him now...

Edric was smuggled out of Dragonstone by Ser Davos before Melisandre could use him for blood magic. He is currently hiding in the free city of Lys with his guardian Ser Andrew Estermont and a handful of others. I imagine he has some sort of role to play. I could see him marrying Shireen to continue House Baratheon.

Edric was smuggled out of Dragonstone by Ser Davos before Melisandre could use him for blood magic. He is currently hiding in the free city of Lys with his guardian Ser Andrew Estermont and a handful of others. I imagine he has some sort of role to play. I could see him marrying Shireen to continue House Baratheon.

Stannis would rather relinquish his claim to the Iron Throne before allowing robert's bastard marry his daughter :lol:

plus wasnt Edric the one who was conceived when Robert bedded the commoner on Stannis's wedding day? the reason why he thinks his wife hasnt been able to give him a son?

and its only Targs that kept it in the family that way...

if he's in Lys, i wonder if he'd decide to try to assassinate Dany to try and impress Stannis...of course he would fail, but that might be another reason to go to Westeros immediately if even "usurpers" are trying to kill her

I don't think that will happen, thats something that Gendry already said no to. The chances of Gendry and Arya having a romantic relationship are close to zero. The chances of Gendry working as a servant to Arya are zero.

Like I said before, if he has a role, that would be reforging Ice. I would be more than happy if he lived to tell the tale afterwards.

I'm pretty sure you have to be something pretty special to reforge Valyrian steel. As competent as Gendry is i don't think he would have learnt how to do that. Besides whats the point in reforging Ice? John already has a Valyrian steel sword and none of the other Starks could wield a sword of Ice's size, at least not till years in the future wen Rickon is grown up and the story probably won't go that far.

I agree the chances of a relationship with Arya are very small, there is very little textual evidence that Arya had any feelings for him beyond friendship and the class status difference is a genuine problem for Gendry. It annoys me that people keep trying to shoehorn romance into Arya's storyline too...

I never got the feeling that Martin intended more for Gendry, sure he might pop up again in a casual way with the BwB as they will inevitably have some kind of reckoning before the end, but narratively there is no need for him to re-appear, IMO it would just be fan service if he did.

• 1 month later...

All of Robert's bastards are, I suppose, potential dragon riders, sort of like the Targ bastards in the first Dance of the Dragons. The male ones stand a chance of becoming the next Stormlord or even king, in Edric's case perhaps marrying Shireen, in Gendry's perhaps Arya. I can see Stan legitimizing them, actually.

All of Robert's bastards are, I suppose, potential dragon riders, sort of like the Targ bastards in the first Dance of the Dragons. The male ones stand a chance of becoming the next Stormlord or even king, in Edric's case perhaps marrying Shireen, in Gendry's perhaps Arya. I can see Stan legitimizing them, actually.

This requires Stannis to end up as an undisputed king in the end of the series,which quite frankly,i don't think it's very possible.

His role is to be a background character. A survivor. Perhaps a leader amongst the smallfolk and a believer in Rhollor.

I see no foreshadowing of him becoming Stormlord or king. If any of Roberts bastards stands a chance of that it´s Edric Storm.

Edit: But if that happens, then Show-Gendry can play that role.

Archived