the future of gendry

stephanson

I like Gendry and all, but unless Edric somehow comes up as dead in the next little while, I wouldn't count Gendry as a contender for Storm's End's seat.

I've wondered if the TV show might give merge Edric and Gendry into one character. If so, perhaps Melisandre wants to sacrifice Gendry and he is shipped away with protectors who maybe teach him how to fight and educate him a bit to set him up for future possibilities.

I've wondered if the TV show might give merge Edric and Gendry into one character. If so, perhaps Melisandre wants to sacrifice Gendry and he is shipped away with protectors who maybe teach him how to fight and educate him a bit to set him up for future possibilities.

An Edric/Gendry character merge seems like the right way to cover both stories since two are essentially interchangeable in terms of value to Melisandre's blood the king obsession. I think Gendry's story line can continue as in the books until he somehow ends up at Storm's End and takes over Edric's story line. Unless of course, GRRM has told the producers of the show that one or both of the characters have major events coming up.

We absolutely do not know in the TV show that Gendry is Robert's only surviving bastard. We know that a bunch of bastards in King's Landing were murdered, and it looks like Edric Storm will be excised (although he certainly might be introduced in season 3 - without him, Davos won't have much to do), but the writers are free to introduce bastards for Robert outside of King's Landing whenever they want. If Mya Stone ends up being important to the plot, for example, she can easily be introduced when Sansa comes to the Vale without contradicting anything we've seen in the show so far.

I also don't see how a Gendry/Edric merge makes sense. Gendry is in the Riverlands with Arya, and will continue to be so after the events of the Blackwater. It's rather difficult to see how he'd end up getting captured by Stannis.

I agree with this. We know that GRRM has told the producers what major events will occur in the last two books so that they have a better sense of where the story is going and also so they don't omit something that ends up being important. I think the emphasis on Gendry in the TV series shows that he will end up being somewhat important in the end as well. If he wasn't, there would be no reason for him to get anywhere near the screen time that he has.

As for what that end for him might be, I have no idea. I doubt its the Iron Throne though; since its been shown over and over that it was only the Targs with their outsider status that could keep the Seven Kingdoms together and otherwise its chaos. If Stannis does bite it though, I could see Gendry becoming lord of the Storm Lands or the Storm King if the ending does involve the kingdoms fracturing and going independent again.

I think that makes sense if you imagine that this is a plot-driven decision, but I think just as many choices are character-driven (in the books and the show). So, while Gendry may have some real plot-related purpose, I think the fact that he's still alive in the books now that Arya's long gone is a better clue. Show-Gendry can be explained by the relationship with Arya, as could book-Gendry in ACOK and ASOS. The fact that he's still kicking around, though, means something I think.

Also, when it comes to the show, I wouldn't put it past the producers to keep Gendry around because he is smoking hot, and since its HBO the quantity of sex and an attractive cast is important to their, um, "creativity".

Yeah, that could be a factor too.

Again, this obsession with legitimization. Why do you think that's so important?

Well, I was kicking around the idea of Gendry ending up king. I don't know if he would need to be legitimized, considering all the death I'm imagining would be necessary to put him in line regardless, but they would need some proof that Jon Arryn's and Ned's suspicions were accurate, right? I suppose Cersei trying to kill him may indicate that she had some proof somewhere, but even if she did (which I kind of doubt), she would have destroyed it by now. So, who could possibly convince people that he's Robert's son? Varys? He seems to have other plans.

So, now I'm hoping Edric Storm ends up king. I still have hopes for the rest of Gendry's story, though.

We absolutely do not know in the TV show that Gendry is Robert's only surviving bastard. We know that a bunch of bastards in King's Landing were murdered, and it looks like Edric Storm will be excised (although he certainly might be introduced in season 3 - without him, Davos won't have much to do), but the writers are free to introduce bastards for Robert outside of King's Landing whenever they want. If Mya Stone ends up being important to the plot, for example, she can easily be introduced when Sansa comes to the Vale without contradicting anything we've seen in the show so far.

I also don't see how a Gendry/Edric merge makes sense. Gendry is in the Riverlands with Arya, and will continue to be so after the events of the Blackwater. It's rather difficult to see how he'd end up getting captured by Stannis.

Agreed. Merging them makes no sense. Rumor is that Shireen is being cast after all, so I think we'll get Edric Storm next season. I think that's good. We really need S3 plot for Dragonstone, since I don't figure that Stannis will head up to the wall until S4. And it's good character development for both Stannis and Davos. Should play well.

What matters is what men say matters, and which men are saying it, and how big their armies are. Legitimization was a huge deal in Medieval Europe as well, but that didn't stop William the Bastard from becoming Duke of Normandy and eventually conquering England.

Yeah but William the Conqueror was legitimised by his own father. Gendry is just a bastard on the run without any support for his claim.

Well, I was kicking around the idea of Gendry ending up king. I don't know if he would need to be legitimized, considering all the death I'm imagining would be necessary to put him in line regardless, but they would need some proof that Jon Arryn's and Ned's suspicions were accurate, right? I suppose Cersei trying to kill him may indicate that she had some proof somewhere, but even if she did (which I kind of doubt), she would have destroyed it by now. So, who could possibly convince people that he's Robert's son? Varys? He seems to have other plans.

The point I think some of you may be missing is that all of the importance placed on the concepts of bastardy and legitimization derives from the notion that bastards are threats to the existing social order. Bastards are given names such as Snow, Stone, and Storm precisely because they are so important. The bastard names define their role within the existing social order and effectively neutralize them. Sort of. They're still seen as threats (see Stark, Caitlyn wrt Snow, Jon and Lannister, Cersei wrt any number of bastard offspring she had murdered).

I guess what I see happening is a complete breakdown of the social order. Winter has arrived in Westeros, and it's likely to be a long one, and no one has any food socked away, so lots of people are going to starve to death. Then you have the development of the Golden Company landing in the south. Over on the other coast, there are all of these bad ass dudes from the the Iron Islands doing all this raiding and shit. Meanwhile, the Riverlands are a mess and Varys just killed Kevan, one of the few competent people left in King's Landing. Up in the North, things are looking pretty bad - basically, everything up there is pretty much fucked, or at least that's what it looks like. Basically, the Seven Kingdoms are going to hell in a handbasket and that's the context in which I see Gendry possibly rising to the top, or near the top, or whatever it is that GRRM has planned for him. Whether he's formally legitimized or not, my view is that he's being positioned to be one of the survivors at the end, and that's when we'll finally understand why we were told his story. I think you guys have it right that under the old system, he wouldn't stand much of a chance of amounting to anything, regardless of how much ability he had. But it's a new day, or it soon will be, and things change.

I saw the Shireen rumor at Winter is Coming. No way to verify it yet, but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

Yes both Shireen and Daario is being cast for season 3..I hope the actor that get cast as Daario have no problem in showing skin as Daario is only a bedwarmer in the books and with a little battle storyline

IMO, Gendry will end up as the last standing Baratheon and his name will be legitimized. I also think that he and Arya will end up together at the end. Though it sounds odd because Arya has always been portrayed as a tomboy who is hell bent on revenge, you could tell that she subtly had a crush on Gendry. Afterall, she always tried to look out for him and vice versa...plus I think it would be a funny reunion since Gendry made comments on her high-born lineage before he knew about his own. I could see some ribbing coming his way from Arya.

In my mind, Gendry and Arya are bound to wind up together. Whether he becomes a lord or no, they are a perfect match. She is too young when they first meet, but it will be a far different thing by the time they meet again.

Cersei, at the very least, knows Gendry is a Baratheon. Their are bound to be others, including Varys.

Arya won't be interested in ruling anyone, but she will be persuaded by love. A union of Stark and Baratheon would fit the thinking of the Northmen who will cherish Arya.

I don't think Robert's other children will either survive or be important in the end.

This doesn't mean that Gendry will be a lord. He might be given some other important position, but this won't happen till the very end of the story imho.

Stanis is not going to survive.

I absolutely buy the theory that Jon is a Targareyn and that Ned was his uncle. I hadn't thought of it at all, but it completely fits.

Neither can I buy that Jon is dead.

I do think that three dragons will survive and three riders will emerge to fight the others. Dany and Jon seem to be the most likely candidates. Aaegon makes sense too.

What I can't see is how Bran and Rickon return to the world. It would seem that Rickon has the most chance to become lord of Winterfell in the end while Bran is likely to spend his long, long life in some sort of mystical state.

If Sansa survives, she will wed one of the survivors of the Winter after Tyrion either dies or their marriage is annuled as having never been consumated. Sansa is one of my least favorite characters although she might come out of this wiser than before.

Gendry will reforge Ice. That is his purpose.

I fear this is true, too. I want there to be more because Arya thinks of Gendry and Hot Pie as "her pack" and that's so sweet. She misses her pack and I wish they could be reunited. Someone in another thread said that Mr. Martin said there would be no romance between Arya and Gendry in an interview. Anyone else remember reading anything like that? I'm hoping the person misremembered.

I always felt that the Gendry/Arya relationship was to give hints to what a possible Robert/Lyanna relationship would have entailed. That being said, I find their future as a couple is unlikely, as Arya/Lyanna would be too willful and spirited for Gendry/Robert. I also agree that Gendry's end purpose will probably be reforging Ice, which may or may not be a symbolic representation of Lightbringer.

I loved Gendry from the moment he was introduced though i believe that his involvement to the plot is not very important.Yes most probably and IF Arya ever has a romantic interest it will be him...

The only thing i can imagine right now is that he will save Brienne and Jayme from Stoneheart and assume leadership of the bandits.Why?

Well thats because Brienne will tell them that he is their former Kings bastard.If you remember when we are first introduced to the Lightning Lords company they claim to be the "Rightfull Kings" men..That king

is Robert Baratheon...I know that its a longshot that the bandits believe Brienne but if Thoros survives the comming chapters i believe he will help make Gendrys claim strong.

Gendry will be Arya's saltwife. It is known.

But seriously: I see neither Gendry nor Arya as king/queen/Jedi overlord over whatever, certainly not on the iron throne, but I also don't see Arya as Lady of Winterfell. Apart from the fact that she's pretty far down on any succession list (being a girl and the second youngest), I just don't see her interested in ruling anything.

And neither do I see Gendry interested in any kind of leader role. Basically, he's really ok with being a smith. He does not feel to good about being "baseborn" or "fatherless", but I don't think he'd be that much into being lord of Storm's End or king of whereverland; I don't even see him wanting to gain a leader's position among the BwB, he only wants to be a part of them (of anything, actually). But leading? No way, that would take up way to much time from spending shirtless time in the forge.

I mean, I love him dearly, but I don't see him as the, er, "cunning" or "willing to compromise" type, which I think is a crucial ingredient to being a political leader. And that's what I think is the main obstacle to him becoming Overlord over anything, not the whole bastardy-part.

Him and Arya will basically just retire together to some countryside home where he will indulge in his hobby of forging metal trinkets while Arya kicks anybody's ass who dares disturb them asking for an interview or any such thing.

... but I'm not 100% sure that's what GRRM is going for. He might just build up to both of them being brutally murdered without a single moment of happiness before that for either of them. Who knows.

I always felt that the Gendry/Arya relationship was to give hints to what a possible Robert/Lyanna relationship would have entailed. That being said, I find their future as a couple is unlikely, as Arya/Lyanna would be too willful and spirited for Gendry/Robert. I also agree that Gendry's end purpose will probably be reforging Ice, which may or may not be a symbolic representation of Lightbringer.

At least Gendry lacks a lot of Robert's entitlement issues. The reason Lyanna didn't particularly fancy Robert was that she didn't think he would change just because he professed to love her. "Love is sweet Ned, but it will not change a man." Robert was already known for whoring, drinking and fathering bastards. Gendry, on the other hand, is dismissive of King Robert, he says that his father was most likely "some drunk". We see with Arya at the Peach that he's not too keen on whoring, he spends a lot of time working hard at the forge and overall lacks Robert's problems.

Arya may be wilfull like Lyanna, but she has also been tempered by all the difficulties she has gone through. Lyanna was always a nobleman's daughter and didn't know the hardship and suffering of being on the run dressed up as a dirty servant, or a little boy.

I think an older Arya/Gendry would be able to give eachother what Lyanna and Robert could not. Gendry doesn't need to change for Arya to appreciate him: he's already her friend.

The point I think some of you may be missing is that all of the importance placed on the concepts of bastardy and legitimization derives from the notion that bastards are threats to the existing social order. Bastards are given names such as Snow, Stone, and Storm precisely because they are so important. The bastard names define their role within the existing social order and effectively neutralize them. Sort of. They're still seen as threats (see Stark, Caitlyn wrt Snow, Jon and Lannister, Cersei wrt any number of bastard offspring she had murdered).

I guess what I see happening is a complete breakdown of the social order. Winter has arrived in Westeros, and it's likely to be a long one, and no one has any food socked away, so lots of people are going to starve to death. Then you have the development of the Golden Company landing in the south. Over on the other coast, there are all of these bad ass dudes from the the Iron Islands doing all this raiding and shit. Meanwhile, the Riverlands are a mess and Varys just killed Kevan, one of the few competent people left in King's Landing. Up in the North, things are looking pretty bad - basically, everything up there is pretty much fucked, or at least that's what it looks like. Basically, the Seven Kingdoms are going to hell in a handbasket and that's the context in which I see Gendry possibly rising to the top, or near the top, or whatever it is that GRRM has planned for him. Whether he's formally legitimized or not, my view is that he's being positioned to be one of the survivors at the end, and that's when we'll finally understand why we were told his story. I think you guys have it right that under the old system, he wouldn't stand much of a chance of amounting to anything, regardless of how much ability he had. But it's a new day, or it soon will be, and things change.

Well, I was thinking of him as being the eldest of Robert's living male children, which I was thinking would make him technically the heir after Stannis and Shireen die. That would be true despite the fact that he's a bastard, right, regardless of how threatening bastards are the social order? Others pointed out to me that Edric Storm would be ahead of him because he's been acknowledged. I'm with you that the social structure will be wrecked enough that things might look very different by the end, and if there was some evidence that he was Robert's son, that might be enough for a savvy player to use him as a proxy even if the social order is relatively intact. I'm just not sure what kind of evidence there might be, which is to say why people should accept that he's Robert's son at all. So, that's a challenge.

Anyway, all very well said, just thought I'd clarify what I was trying to say a little.

Archived