the future of gendry

stephanson

The story of ASoIaF is necessarily generational: the Long Winter lasts a generation, which means those who are children as it begins will be having children of their own when it ends. For example, Dany is not one of the three heads of the dragon, the three heads of the dragon are her own three children, one born of each husband noted in the "Bride of Fire" prophecy (Hizdar isn't in the prophecy because she does not bear him a son). Thus, it is important to track the blood of the great families: Gendry carries the blood of the Dondarrons, remember.

• 2 weeks later...

The story of ASoIaF is necessarily generational: the Long Winter lasts a generation, which means those who are children as it begins will be having children of their own when it ends. For example, Dany is not one of the three heads of the dragon, the three heads of the dragon are her own three children, one born of each husband noted in the "Bride of Fire" prophecy (Hizdar isn't in the prophecy because she does not bear him a son). Thus, it is important to track the blood of the great families: Gendry carries the blood of the Dondarrons, remember.

I think you mean Baratheon or maybe Targaryen?

Well, I dare say Gendry will have some bigger role in the series. He has been around for too long and meeting too many important characters to just disappear. What role? Above my paygrade.

If I had it my way though, I'd love to see Gendry and Arya gettin back together, everyone else can die for all I care, aside from Jon and Davos, everyone in this book is crazy, never thinking of the consequences, (points finger at Dany), or just plain evil.

ps: Hey guys! My first post here, hope I'm not embarrassing myself ^_^ .

Baratheon blood. Speaking of poor Beric, what will happen with Dayne heir and what about his family.

I like Gendry, so I'd like for him to play a bigger role in this serious. He's a talented smith afterall (and smiths are valuable), and big and strong, so his chances of surviving shouldn't at the lowest. Besides, the sullen bastard has been with us from the first book, and played a rather big role in Arya's storyline.

No, Gendry has the blood of the Durrendons, who raised Storms End and were Storm Kings in the age of heroes. Orys Baratheon married the last Storm Kings daughter.

Well I believe you are right, it's just that Damon_Tor wrote "Dondarrons", I thought he meant Dondarrions.

Not only that, but according to rumors, Orys was believed to be Aegon The First bastard half-brother, so the Baratheons have had Targeryen blood for a long time too. So that counts for blood of dragons and gods in the veins of Gendry, since Elenei the wife of the first Storm King, Durran, was the Goddes of Wind.

Bear in mind that is all according to rumors and legends.

Well I believe you are right, it's just that Damon_Tor wrote "Dondarrons", I thought he meant Dondarrions.

Not only that, but according to rumors, Orys was believed to be Aegon The First bastard half-brother, so the Baratheons have had Targeryen blood for a long time too. So that counts for blood of dragons and gods in the veins of Gendry, since Elenei the wife of the first Storm King, Durran, was the Goddes of Wind.

Bear in mind that is all according to rumors and legends.

God blood lol. So does that mean Cersei is guilty of deicide?

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that there might be a Gendry/Edric crossover in the show. Has this happened? I believe that Gendry was captured by Mel, taken to Dragonstone and then rescued and shipped away by Davos {in the show}. Is this supposed to be an interpretation of what happened to Edric Storm, or is the show trying to fill in what happened between ASoS and AFFC?

Either way, what happens in the show may be a hint as to how relevant Gendry and Edric are in TWoW...

I started a new thread on this before I noticed this thread, so that one will probably be closed. So here's a repost of what I think will probably happen with Jaime, the BWB, and Gendry:

So, a big push has come through the interweb lately, thrusting up the Kingslayer as the embodiment of Azor Ahai. It is also a big theory for some, that Jaime will survive to supplant Lady Stoneheart at the head of BWB. Well, I think that this could be a plot area where many threads may converge in one place, maybe even for one POV. If Jaime does end up being a literal Azor Ahai (if Azor Ahai will even exist as an entity in the series), then he will need a Lightbringer.

Jaime and Brienne are carrying the swords made from Ice; they are headed to the BWB who Gendry smiths and fights for. One of the key parts of the peace Robb and Cat put forward in ACOK is the return of Ice. I think it may be a priority for Lady Stoneheart to reforge he husband's blade. Thus Jaime could end up in some situation in which he takes possession of Ice, still hot from Gendry's forge. In that way he would still be holding a glowing, fiery hot blade, a strong symbol for the reader and the BWB. In terms of imagery it is also an allusion to the name of the series, the blade would be literally Ice and fire at that time.

This can end the Lady Stoneheart situation, perhaps remove Brienne (or Jaime), bring some role to Gendry, etc. If Jaime does survive his encounter with the BWB and LS, then he may return to King's Landing and eventually take Cersei's life, stabbing her in the heart with Ice (which would burst into flames:ICE AND FIRE). Or perhaps Jaime will be killed, but Brienne will be spared long enough to reveal Gendry's parentage.

Thus Gendry, who is a Smith (like Azor Ahai who forged his own sword), may rise up to lead the BWB and turn out to be Azor Ahai. Gendry's role to play has been an elusive part of the whole series; he is intimately connected with what is happening in the 7k's but he hasn't yet become the leader of men we want him to become as readers.

So, two theories, somewhat intimately connected.

Either way, it is not a coincidence that all of these different plot elements are going to be coming into close contact in WOW.

Jaime and Brienne are carrying the swords made from Ice; they are headed to the BWB who Gendry smiths and fights for. One of the key parts of the peace Robb and Cat put forward in ACOK is the return of Ice. I think it may be a priority for Lady Stoneheart to reforge he husband's blade. Thus Jaime could end up in some situation in which he takes possession of Ice, still hot from Gendry's forge. In that way he would still be holding a glowing, fiery hot blade, a strong symbol for the reader and the BWB. In terms of imagery it is also an allusion to the name of the series, the blade would be literally Ice and fire at that time.

Jaime does not, to our knowledge have Tommens half of Ice.

I really like the way how the Gendry storyline is going to tie in with the Lady Stoneheart/Brienne/Jaime storyline. I can just imagine Jaime calling Lady Stoneheart, Lady Stark. This will cause Gendry to realize that she is Arya's Mother. Gendry may then prevent Lady Stoneheart from killing Jaime and Brienne by mentioning that he has been travelling with Arya so she is alive. Lady Stoneheart may then stop the execution of Jaime and Brienne who will feel grateful towards Gendry and Jaime will probably make some passing comment on how Gendry could easily be one of Robert's bastards and then Gendry may realize that that is actually true...

I really like the way how the Gendry storyline is going to tie in with the Lady Stoneheart/Brienne/Jaime storyline. I can just imagine Jaime calling Lady Stoneheart, Lady Stark. This will cause Gendry to realize that she is Arya's Mother. Gendry may then prevent Lady Stoneheart from killing Jaime and Brienne by mentioning that he has been travelling with Arya so she is alive. Lady Stoneheart may then stop the execution of Jaime and Brienne who will feel grateful towards Gendry and Jaime will probably make some passing comment on how Gendry could easily be one of Robert's bastards and then Gendry may realize that that is actually true...

While I think the meeting between Stoneheart and Jamie will be significant, I doubt if Gendry would speak up in front of Stoneheart. Or that Jamie would say Gendry is the Kings bastard.

Perhaps afterwards he may make a comment. I think Stoneheart is going to use Jamie for something. Perhaps draw the Freys from the Twins and then the Bannerman go absolute Kill Bill on the Twins.

Crackpot: Gendry has been a secondary character - and at this point (5 books down 2 left) I don't see him becoming a major player. However, I believe he does serve a big purpose in to the story. I still see Arya and Dany as the last two standing. Dany in her hate of the Baratheon's beheads Gendry (or has someone do it - Barrister). This sets off Arya and their two armies battle it out for the throne!

Crackpot: Gendry has been a secondary character - and at this point (5 books down 2 left) I don't see him becoming a major player. However, I believe he does serve a big purpose in to the story. I still see Arya and Dany as the last two standing. Dany in her hate of the Baratheon's beheads Gendry (or has someone do it - Barrister). This sets off Arya and their two armies battle it out for the throne!

I don't think a barrister can even lift a sword.

(I know you mean Barristan)

Anyway, I think he'll become a knight like Dunk, a knight of his own ideals. I think Edric Storm will take Storm's End and continue the Baratheon line there.

Archived