the future of gendry

stephanson

So if Gendry were legitimized he would have more of a claim to the throne than Stannis, but IF Robert had any true born children he would still be behind them.

The only possible way Gendry would be legitimized is by Stannis, and there's no way he'd skip himself over. If he legitimized him, it would be as his heir.

If Gendry was legitimized he would skip over Stannis and Shireen. However as a bastard even if he's not legitimized he can inherit if there is no one left to do so. So if Stannis and Shireen were to die Gendry as the oldest bastard son would be the next in line, since the whole Baratheon line has been wiped out.

Actually a legimized bastard is not quite the same as a true born child. As far as I understand it (for example) if Jon were to be legitimized he would not jump ahead of any true born children even the girls. They all have claim to Winterfell first. But it would put him in place above any existing uncles, aunts or cousins. I guess that's why Robb was specifically putting it in his will that he wanted Jon to be legitimized AND for him to be the lord of Winterfell. Things are a bit different if a King wants it that way.

So if Gendry were legitimized he would have more of a claim to the throne than Stannis, but IF Robert had any true born children he would still be behind them.

has everyone forgotten about poor old edric storm the already legitimized bastard?

has everyone forgotten about poor old edric storm the already legitimized bastard?

He wasn't legitimized. He was acknowledged by Robert, and his mother was highborn, but he's currently in Lys or somesuch.

The only possible way Gendry would be legitimized is by Stannis, and there's no way he'd skip himself over. If he legitimized him, it would be as his heir.

Exactly I don't see him becoming legitimized. I don't think it's something he would care about. But I do see both Stannis and Shireen dying before the series is through. I just can't see Stannis living until the end, and Val seems to think that Shireen is marked for death because of her greyscale... that it's just dormant right now. In that case Gendry is next in line for inheritence even as a bastard. I don't think he will want the throne but he may end up with Storm's End by the end of the series.

Isn't everyone forgetting Edric Storm? Of Roberts bastards, he is the oldest male with the best education, and most natural to rule Storm's End. Everyone knows who he is, and he seems well liked at Storm's End. He also has good repport with Shireen, and they seem like a natural marriage to consolidate Baratheon power.

I like Gendry and all, but unless Edric somehow comes up as dead in the next little while, I wouldn't count Gendry as a contender for Storm's End's seat.

Edric Storm was barely introduced as a character, despite all the efforts that Davos does to save him. What could be easier for GRRM than kill him off? :)

Gendry will reforge Ice. That is his purpose.

reforge... from Hearteater (dead-Joffrey sword; and where is it now anyway? is it Tommen's?) and Oathkeeper (ex-Jaime-now-Brienne's sword)?? And why anway? to give to... who? Arya? Sansa is a lady. Bran is crippled... Rickon? I don't want to imagine Rickon with a sword in hand! The kid is mental. poor thing ;)

Exactly I don't see him becoming legitimized. I don't think it's something he would care about. But I do see both Stannis and Shireen dying before the series is through. I just can't see Stannis living until the end, and Val seems to think that Shireen is marked for death because of her greyscale... that it's just dormant right now. In that case Gendry is next in line for inheritence even as a bastard. I don't think he will want the throne but he may end up with Storm's End by the end of the series.

Bastard's can't inherit. I don't know about Stannis, but I definitely think Shireen and Selyse are doomed, which is exactly why I predict that Stannis will end up legitimizing Gendry. He'll need an heir, that is.

Personally I suspect Gendry is forgotten and won't be heard from again.

He's not; GRRM has said as much.

Bastard's can't inherit. I don't know about Stannis, but I definitely think Shireen and Selyse are doomed, which is exactly why I predict that Stannis will end up legitimizing Gendry. He'll need an heir, that is.

Look up 'Bastardy' on the ASOIAF Wiki... I could be misreading but it sounds like they CAN inherit but only when ALL other true born members of the family have died.

Its funny that Gendry is such a fan favourite (well, relatively) considering he has so far played such a minor role in the novels and even then we really only saw him (by which I mean, for more than a short glimpse) for 2 of the 5 books. Although I cant say how or why it'll happen, I hope that a big role comes his way somewhere along the line.

Look up 'Bastardy' on the ASOIAF Wiki... I could be misreading but it sounds like they CAN inherit but only when ALL other true born members of the family have died.

It's not automatic though. They would be legitimised in order to keep the house going, but it will still need to be ratified.

If GRRM has said that Gendry is coming back, then I assume that at least one of Brienne and Jaime will still be around to interact with him since they are the only POV characters with the Brotherhood (or soon with the Brotherhood). I wonder if he has told UnCat about Arya. As far as he knows she just disappeared, right? Or does he know that the Hound kidnapped her? Does he know that Jaqen invited her to Braavos?

I don't get the love for Gendry. He has shown zero leadership potential during his time with Arya - heck, Arya, several years younger and much smaller, was clearly the leader of their group. So, Gendry has neither the training nor the innate talent for rule. Can he read, even?

Nor did I see any romantic leanings from Arya towards him, nor did she think about him since. He was a friend to her, that's all. And, well, that Stark-Baratheon pairing? It didn't happen for a reason...

And his resemblance to Robert is not sufficient to be so sure that he is Robert's son. He could be a distant descendant of some other wild-oat-sowing past Baratheon. Heck, given the noblemens' habits, many people living around Storm's End probably sport "Baratheon look".

At least with Edric Storm and even Mya a lot of people knew about their parentage. And Edric was acknowledged, of course.

Sure, Edric may be in Lys, but Gendry isn't exactly in Stannis's vicinity either. Also, while in the previous volumes I could see the Brotherhood being rounded up and made to take the Black, ADWD kind of put paid to that notion, what with Jaime getting captured by un-Cat and troubles in KL distracting Randyll Tarly.

I don't get the love for Gendry. He has shown zero leadership potential during his time with Arya - heck, Arya, several years younger and much smaller, was clearly the leader of their group. So, Gendry has neither the training nor the innate talent for rule. Can he read, even?

As a fan of Gendry I thought I would reply. I think what people love about him is that he's brave and loyal and he has a good heart. He protects those that are weaker than him. He knows what's right and I think there have been a few times where we see he is willing to put his neck on the line in order to do the right thing. He's also funny. His teaming up with Arya (along with Hot Pie) adds a little comic relief. Much like Pyp and Grenn at the Wall. And because of that he becomes something of a beloved character. There are lots of lovable characters that don't have leadership qualities. But I actually think Gendry does have some... I don't think he would have be king or perhaps not even a legitimized lord, but I could see him leading a group of the BwB into battle. True Arya was the real leader of their little pack but I think he learned a lot from her and now travelling with the Brotherhood, he's learning a lot more about fighting I'm sure. I doubt he can read... but neither could Davos before he was taught. Reading is more about class and status than smarts. Gendry may not be smart like Tyrion or even Arya but he has demonstrated that he has street smarts, he's a survivor. He has good common sense. And while Arya did think he was a stupid bull headed boy, I don't believe she truly thought he was dumb like Hot Pie or Lommy.

Nor did I see any romantic leanings from Arya towards him, nor did she think about him since. He was a friend to her, that's all. And, well, that Stark-Baratheon pairing? It didn't happen for a reason...

Well this is harder to say. Obviously nothing truly romantic happened between them. But in that last book I think it was made clear that they liked each other... that crush like feelings were developing between them. There was definitely the moments of 'pigtail pulling' going on there. They teased each other and called each other names and pushed each other down, which can just be seen as friendship since Arya mocked Hot Pie too... but there is a bunch of jealousy there between them when someone else of the opposite sex came into the picture. Gendry was very jealous of Edric Dayne and him being a lord (more suitable for Arya than a bastard blacksmith), and Arya was jealous of Bella at the Peach when Gendry said he might ring her bells. She held onto that jealousy for days (likely even weeks!) and through it back in his face when she was mad at him. Or perhaps it was an internal seething, but the point is she held onto that jealousy all of that time. That's a little strange if he was just a friend to her, that's all.

Also the Baratheon/Stark pairing didn't happen before, because Robert got around. Lyanna knew he would never settle down, even at a young age. Even if he did love her. I don't think it's fair to say that all Baratheons are the same as Robert. Look at Stannis and Renly! Neither of them shared their older brothers 'lust for life'. Stannis is a stickler for order and honour and would never dream of whoring around. And Renly was in a committed relationship and undoubtedly stayed true to Loras. Infact I think it was made clear that he greatly disliked Robert's ways. Gendry seems more like them to me than Robert. I think the real Baratheon trait is stubborness. ALL of the Baratheons share it... and are well known for it. It also seems to be common in Robert's bastards. Edric, and Mya and Gendry.

And his resemblance to Robert is not sufficient to be so sure that he is Robert's son. He could be a distant descendant of some other wild-oat-sowing past Baratheon. Heck, given the noblemens' habits, many people living around Storm's End probably sport "Baratheon look".

At least with Edric Storm and even Mya a lot of people knew about their parentage. And Edric was acknowledged, of course.

Sure, Edric may be in Lys, but Gendry isn't exactly in Stannis's vicinity either. Also, while in the previous volumes I could see the Brotherhood being rounded up and made to take the Black, ADWD kind of put paid to that notion, what with Jaime getting captured by un-Cat and troubles in KL distracting Randyll Tarly.

There are lots of people who know for sure that Gendry is Robert's son... I think it's only a matter of time before one of them spills the beans. Stannis, Cersei, Varys, possibly Littlefinger... Brienne figured it out quickly enough, I think Davos would too since he knew Edric Storm well. Perhaps the Tyrell's would see it right away too since he looks so like Renly. Also I think Thoros might have put it together too since he has been a great friend of Robert's since the rebellion and perhaps even saw something about it in his fires. That puts someone that either knows or could figure it out in almost ALL of the major POVs in Westeros! And just because he may not be in their vicinity at the moment (other than Brienne and Thoros) so much can happen in a book, let alone two. It seems that too many major characters know to keep it a secret until the end.

Thank you for correcting me, it actually wasn't just a figure of speech:) Still, say you're the High Septon. You find out conclusively from Jamie that Tommen the product of incest. You declare for Stannis? A Sept burning worshipper of this Red demon god? Impossible. Maybe the simple Gendry has all of the sparrow like qualities you admire and you declare him legitimized and the true heir. Then all you have to deal with are the two living Targareyans...

That's assuming anyone knows where Gendry actually is... or that he actually exists. Remember that it's basically complete anarchy in the riverlands, and Gendry is right in the middle of it with the BWB... Some possible bastard child of the late King will be the last thing on your mind as the High Septon. Or anyone else for that matter.

I see him playing a role much later on, but remember that Jaime is going to run into him pretty soon... and if anything he will figure it out right away. And don't forget that he could be a direct threat to Jaime's son, and the King. Despite the fact that Jaime has been changing, family will still come first for him, so I see him aiming to eliminate Gendry in one way or another. Will be an interesting dynamic.

Ha! Stannis, as if he'd ever legitimise a bastard son of a brother he disliked! He feels cheated and he is a man of ruthless justice (from his pov), so yeah... not gonna happen.

he can't squire as he is already a knight....

True, I didn't mean squire restricted to the formal sense. But more training in noble/knightly etiquette and conduct. Teaching about honor, from Jamie's angle would be presented somewhat ironically because Jamie is considered a bit of a hypocrite in that regard.. Like I said, would be an interesting dynamic.

Archived