[Book Spoilers] "Anyone can be killed..."

Envie

Actually she doesn't know taking out Tywin would guarantee victory; we the audience have a better idea on this, especially those of us who've seen what has happened after book 3.

I'm more curious as to how/why Tywin won't be picked as 1 of the remaining 2 "death wishes" Arya has from Jaqen. VERRRRY curious how the producers will get out of that 1. Arya isn't stupid. She knows that taking out Tywin would pretty much guarantee victory for her brother.

That's the way it happens in the novel too, Tywin is there long enough for Arya to have picked him. Even Ser Gregor is long enough for Arya to have picked him, and she had seen his work in Arya VI. Even Vargo Hoat could have been taken out.

She picks two are the nearest ones to her who are tormenting her. In the book she realizes she could have picked Tywin and decides to make her last choice count. And she does in a gem of a trick on Jaqen that leads to one of the best sequences in the boo.

As for the show Tickler was logical, tho as people have noted that has a butterfly effect.

So on the show she made a better choice than in the book. Unless they introduce a new villain Ser Amory is the only villain from an earlier episode prominent enough to choose.

Need to keep Tywin for one of the best scenes involving Tyrion in the whole of SoS.

Need to keep The Mountain also for another of the best scenes in SoS.

I never figured out why Jaqen keep any association with Biter and Rorge at all, he didn't seem to like them even in the novel. They are afraid of him, some FM mojo going on there. Jaqen could have worked his magic on more savory characters.

I wonder if Biter and Rorge are going to be involved in Weasel Soup?

In the novel I thought it should have just been Gendry, Arya and Jaqen. With Arya getting another kill, Gendry one, Jaqen taking care of the rest, hey, after all he is a FM.

What risk? I've seen a lot of people mention that she could poison him. How? Where would she get the poison? How would she know how to make it? How could she put a lethal dose in his drink without him tasting it?

She's his cupbearer - a position of great trust because endless opportunities exist to tamper with food and drink. With the lye used to make soap in the castle, with ground glass from any broken jar or window, with any of the numerous exotic poisons found in the chambers of the maesters, or from the pockets of the sell-swords crowding Harrenhall - even with nightsoil from the nearest privy, for that matter. And if the dose were lethal, why would the poisoner care whether her victim tasted it or not?

Making an unknown prisoner into a personal cupbearer isn't an act of confidence or arrogance or anything else but dangerous recklessness. Weasel/Arry earned a position of trust with Roose Bolton in the book. She has done nothing to do so with Tywin in the show. Not plausible.

What presumption? He asked her a question. She answered, and made eye contact. It's only a threat if you already know it's Arya, and not some random orphaned northern girl.

This is applying our world's perspective to a world in which servants rarely even looked their masters in the eye, let alone stared them down. And Tywin is a man who did not tolerate familiarity even from his noble peers.

I'm good with the scene because of the fine acting by both Maisie Williams and Charles Dance - his Tywin effortlessly possesses every scene he's in. But it does require an extra attempt to suspend disbelief even for a fantasy show because it isn't plausible.

• 6 months later...

HBO's Tywin is such a BAMF and I'm glad they portrayed him as a commanding, ruthlessly cunning leader and not a villainous caricature. That scene, I agree, it was awesome and the change from Bolton to Lannister really amplified the entirety of the message behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived