3 wishes in light of the Roose to Tywin change {BOOK SPOILERS}

I like that Arya is serving as Tywin's cupbearer, because it gives us more Charles Dance and it's interesting to see Arya reacting to how he speaks of her brother, but I was wondering....

Why wouldn't she ask Jaqen H'gar to kill Tywin? He's her brother's main military foe and he's right there in Harrenhal. She said the Tickler tonight, and it seemed like she felt pressured to come up with a name and he was the first person to come to mind. There's no Wease or anyone like him who's making her life a living hell. Who's going to be a believable second wish? And is freeing a bunch of northerners really going to seem more effective militarily than decapitating the Lannister army?

Unrelated: Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen - so fine he can make talking in the 3rd person hot. Love him. I'm going to be sad when he gives up that face.

Tywin was at Harrenhal during the "Ghost in Harenhall" sequence of events. It was a good question even in the books. One that only occurs to Arya when she sees him leave. She could have said Tywin, and the Mountain. Instead she used the deaths on immediate grudges.

Which is why she decided to be smarter about wish 3. If only she knew who she was really freeing...

I get the vibe on the show that Arya was just seeing if a man could pull it off or if he was full of crap. So, she names someone she saw do horrible things up close as a sort of test. At end of the episode, she knows a man is for real and it seems heavly implied that she would use a kill on Tywin based on their scenes together. Something he does or says must change her mind.

A thing that might be overlooked in the Arya/Tywin dynamic is this: On the show Tywin outed Arya as a girl and took her under his protection in one stroke. So even if he suspects something about her identity, he is keeping her close by and indebted to him. I think Arya understands that once Tywin is gone, anything could happen to her because nobody would rein in the Mountain or Ser Amory, to name just two. And having also identified Arya as a northerner in front of his bannermen, their suspicion would fall on her very quickly, should anything happen to Tywin. At the moment, Arya doesn't seem to have a plan about where she should go, how she could reach Robb or her mother or Winterfell. And as long as she hasn't figured that out, she would be foolish to throw away the little protection and security (plus a warm place to sleep I guess) she enjoys as Tywin's cupbearer.

I wonder about one thing though. In the book it is a very important fact, that Arya unlike her siblings has the Stark looks. So even if Tywin has never seen Arya, I would deem it likely that he would pick up on the family resemblance

A thing that might be overlooked in the Arya/Tywin dynamic is this: On the show Tywin outed Arya as a girl and took her under his protection in one stroke. So even if he suspects something about her identity, he is keeping her close by and indebted to him. I think Arya understands that once Tywin is gone, anything could happen to her because nobody would rein in the Mountain or Ser Amory, to name just two. And having also identified Arya as a northerner in front of his bannermen, their suspicion would fall on her very quickly, should anything happen to Tywin. At the moment, Arya doesn't seem to have a plan about where she should go, how she could reach Robb or her mother or Winterfell. And as long as she hasn't figured that out, she would be foolish to throw away the little protection and security (plus a warm place to sleep I guess) she enjoys as Tywin's cupbearer.

I wonder about one thing though. In the book it is a very important fact, that Arya unlike her siblings has the Stark looks. So even if Tywin has never seen Arya, I would deem it likely that he would pick up on the family resemblance

I assume Cersei has told Tywin that she hold both the Stark girls, which is why he wouldn't consider looking for her, certainly not dressed up as a peasant in Harrenhall.

Arya is a smart girl no doubt, but her mind is set on her immediate surroundings and revenge. I don't think Arya had ever seen Tywin before he arrived in Harrenhall and he was never in her nightly death prayer, which was always about the persons who had had a direct impact on her life, people who she perceived as evil. Tywin is from the opposing faction, but he never struck her as evil.

I get the vibe on the show that Arya was just seeing if a man could pull it off or if he was full of crap. So, she names someone she saw do horrible things up close as a sort of test. At end of the episode, she knows a man is for real and it seems heavly implied that she would use a kill on Tywin based on their scenes together. Something he does or says must change her mind.

Agree with this completely. Maisie's facial expressions made it clear that at the end of episode 5, Arya intends to kill Tywin.

In an interview Maisie spoke of a twist involving Tywin and Arya. This twist must be what causes Arya to decide not to kill Tywin. Can't wait to see what it is.

Another target could be Ser Armory Lorch, provided that

• there is no Ramsey character, and Robb sends Roose up north to deal with his problem
  • that would then leave no-one (Bolton) to re-capture Harrenhal
  • maybe the GreatJon, that would be sweet though

Another possible target could be, well I dont really know, not many have been introduced who have done Arya much wrong; aside from those we know survive.

I'd say it's probable that Polliver or Armory Lorch will be the second name. Even though Polliver would of course totally destroy the Arya-&-Sandor-at-the-inn-scene.

I've thought about this too. The trick with the Arya/Hound and the Inn scene is that it presumably won't happen until Season 4 (since they're splitting up ASOS). Two years is a long gap in TV time and the producers may not be willing to risk actors being unavailable when the time comes to film that scene.

The way Arya was eyballing Needle in last week's episode is a pretty clear indicator to me that Polliver will be target #2.

I was thinking tywin has to leave the castle before her next name unless HBO has something up their sleeves that would explain it...maybe she hears of plans that she feels she'll be able to relate to robb that would give him a huge advantage and would want tywin alive to go forth with...

Tywin was at Harrenhal during the "Ghost in Harenhall" sequence of events. It was a good question even in the books. One that only occurs to Arya when she sees him leave. She could have said Tywin, and the Mountain. Instead she used the deaths on immediate grudges.

Which is why she decided to be smarter about wish 3. If only she knew who she was really freeing...

And the funny part about the third choice is it was un-needed. Roose and the brave companions arranged the capture in order to take the castle from the inside(Soldiers that were brought in injured were faking, Some of the prisoners made mention of the plot after being released). Arya and the whole "Weasel soup" event only sped the process up.

So in essence despite trying to be smarter with the choice, she ultimately wasted it.

From the persepctive of Tywin, he mentions again in this episode (Cersei mentions it a few times in earlier ones) that they have a 'SPY' in the North. Is this an easier way of letting on that Roose Bolton has been under their banner since the beginning, and as such there is no need for him to retake Harrenhal (for Robb), as Roose will be just holding it for the Lannisters.

And the funny part about the third choice is it was un-needed. Roose and the brave companions arranged the capture in order to take the castle from the inside(Soldiers that were brought in injured were faking, Some of the prisoners made mention of the plot after being released). Arya and the whole "Weasel soup" event only sped the process up.

So in essence despite trying to be smarter with the choice, she ultimately wasted it.

I think it ended up working out for her because I dont think Jaquen would have given her the iron coin if she hadn't outwitted him on the third option. she would have had nowhere to go later on

WE know how dangerous Tywin is, but does Arya?

He's not the king.

He did not order (or have anything directly to do with) the execution of her father.

He commands the Lannister armies, but Robb doesn't seem to be having any trouble with them at all.

She heard from their own mouths that they haven't a clue how to defeat Robb and are feeling very threatened by him.

Tywin was the one who ordered an end to the torture/killing of everyone captured.

Not only is Tywin not a threat in her eyes, but he's somewhat benevolent. If she could have any 3 (or now 2) killed, how could Tywin be a top candidate in Arya's mind?

And the staredown scene (which was one of the best scenes yet)...

Why wouldn't a girl of the North not want to see the enemies of her Lords defeated? As in, it probably didn't surprise Tywin in the least. Her petulence he may have found surprising - coming frm what he believes is a common girl. Arya sees him at the very least as her equal, if not lesser. But he doesn't know that.

Archived