3 wishes in light of the Roose to Tywin change {BOOK SPOILERS}

They wont kill Tywin in the show, they cant change the story that much !

At this point you need to see both the show and the books as two seperate entities.

Whole characters are gone/invented in the show. People that should be alive are dead.

Killing Tywin off wont change very much story wise beyond Tyrions Crossbow, and the person who gives the order for the red wedding.

While i dont think Arya will give Tywins name, I wouldnt be shocked if that happened.

While i dont think Arya will give Tywins name, I wouldnt be shocked if that happened.

No, we know it won't happen. Charles Dance has mentioned in an interview that while he hasn't read the books he knows how he's going to die and it'll be in either "next season or the one after". And while they may change the circumstances of his death (though I doubt it), this interview was given only a few weeks ago; so we know he doesn't die in Season 2.

Agreed. Let's be honest here, they can still do the Sandor and Arya scene. It isn't necessary for Sandor to be mortally injured by two thugs that the audience was introduced to briefly. They could just be random new soldiers thought up by the producers. Offing Tickler and Polliver early has no impact on that storyline.

Independent George:

While it's true that the writers could invent some new (and possibly awesome) scene for S3 with Arya and The Hound, it is technically ruined in the sense that Arya can no longer kill the Tickler while shouting her amazing lines in that scene. I (and many other book readers) are beginning to feel like the writers are changing stuff for no beneficial reason, and like a complex tapestry, every thread they pull or cut will have long-reaching, very possibly detrimental, effects.

Independent George:

While it's true that the writers could invent some new (and possibly awesome) scene for S3 with Arya and The Hound, it is technically ruined in the sense that Arya can no longer kill the Tickler while shouting her amazing lines in that scene. I (and many other book readers) are beginning to feel like the writers are changing stuff for no beneficial reason, and like a complex tapestry, every thread they pull or cut will have long-reaching, very possibly detrimental, effects.

I don't think its for no reason. It's difficult to bring back an actor after that long a break, particularly for such a minor role. It's difficult to ask the audience to immediately remember who this character was and why they are important; particularly when the character is going to be dead very shortly after being reintroduced. And considering the short amount time the writers have; anything they can do to simplify the story without harming its overall integrity is going to be considered.

As far as the Tickler is concerned I'm kind of happy they are changing things up so much. I like the contrast between the show and the books and the difference in how the story unfolds keeps the show interesting...yea it sucks we won't get the inn scene, but with any luck they will make something different but equally as cool.

The Tickler's death in ASOS was maybe the most memorable death scene to me.

Arya's monologue was so... memorable. Don't know how to say it.

A shame they ruined it...

I'm really pissed.

As others have said, although the scene works in the books, it won't work on TV. The non book-reading audience can't be expected to remember such a minor character that appears for literally a few seconds in season 2 (and I don't think the writers have the luxury to have him for more than those few seconds given the rest of the story they have to say), or remember that the monologue of Arya mirrors the questions he was asking in random torture scene one or two seasons prior. It will be a confusing moment and nothing more.

As others have said, although the scene works in the books, it won't work on TV. The non book-reading audience can't be expected to remember such a minor character that appears for literally a few seconds in season 2

That's assuming they couldn't show the character again. They could've shown him again with Gregor's group during Season 3 and 4 since they're still hunting down Beric.

Tywin was at Harrenhal during the "Ghost in Harenhall" sequence of events. It was a good question even in the books. One that only occurs to Arya when she sees him leave. She could have said Tywin, and the Mountain. Instead she used the deaths on immediate grudges.

Yes. In the books it's not plausible, or almost not plausible, that Arya doesn't think to have her brother's main military foe killed. It can be chalked up to her being young and inpulsive. TV-Arya is older and should know better. I think having her be Tywin's cupbearer will provide motivation for her to spare him- he's already saved Gendry from torture, he's kind of a protecter for her and apparently, as noted upthread, there's some sort of twist in their relationship that motivates her to spare him.

Roose isn't supposed to be at Harrenhall yet. But if they eliminate the Roose and Arya scenes, particularly the leeches scene, I'll be very sad.

At this point you need to see both the show and the books as two seperate entities.

Whole characters are gone/invented in the show. People that should be alive are dead.

Killing Tywin off wont change very much story wise beyond Tyrions Crossbow, and the person who gives the order for the red wedding.

The relationship between Tywin and Tyrion is central to S3/S4, so they won't miss the chance to have these two amazing actors share a few more scenes.

Whatever happens, I think the show pretty clearly sets up Tywin as one of Arya's choices. My non-reading girlfriend literally asked me: "she's going to kill him right?"

And it makes total sense with what we've been given. As cupbearer of Tywin (important difference with the books), Arya hears all about his strategy to destroy HER BROTHER. I mean, the tension is already palpable in that one scene between them. You'd have to be very obtuse not to want to try and stop the person who's out to get you're brother if you have the chance.

My 5 cents: a) Tywin gets offed or B ) he leaves in the nick of time after Arya ordered his death. Regardless, I have no doubts that she'll ask for Tywin as the second or third death. Butterfly effects galore.

Whatever happens, I think the show pretty clearly sets up Tywin as one of Arya's choices. My non-reading girlfriend literally asked me: "she's going to kill him right?"

And it makes total sense with what we've been given. As cupbearer of Tywin, Arya hears all about his strategy to destroy HER BROTHER. You'd have to be very obtuse not to want to try and stop that person. My 5 cents: a) Tywin gets offed or B ) he leaves in the nick of time after Arya ordered his death. Regardless, I have no doubts that she'll ask for Tywin as the second or third death. Butterfly effects galore.

BOOK SPOILERS

In the books, she makes her first two choices kind of hastily without thinking them through. By the time she realizes she could have said Tywin and The Mountain, they had already left/were leaving Harrenhal.

BOOK SPOILERS

In the books, she makes her first two choices kind of hastily without thinking them through. By the time she realizes she could have said Tywin and The Mountain, they had already left/were leaving Harrenhal.

Yes, but in the books it didn't seem as obvious, to me at least, that Tywin should have been no. 1. She simply has a very long wish list and not enough spots. In the show, Tywin is much more of an obvious target since she deals with him personally. That's why the cupbearer change is important.

BTW, I just read that there's going to be a scene in which Arya gets a more humanized view on Tywin. This would make sense for NOT picking him. As it stands now though, Tywin has to be the first choice for the second spot.

Oh, and I just realized I'm only talking about the second choice, not the third (for obvious reasons which I initially slipped my mind:))

As others have said, although the scene works in the books, it won't work on TV. The non book-reading audience can't be expected to remember such a minor character that appears for literally a few seconds in season 2 (and I don't think the writers have the luxury to have him for more than those few seconds given the rest of the story they have to say), or remember that the monologue of Arya mirrors the questions he was asking in random torture scene one or two seasons prior. It will be a confusing moment and nothing more.

The show doesn't have the PoV constraints, they could show the Tickler a lot more than the book did. The torture scenes would have worked very well on TV.

Archived