Would Tyrion kill Jaime?

Batman

No. Despite what Jaime's done to Tyrion in the past, they are still very much so each other's brother. And Jaime had just saved him from the Black Cells the last time they saw each other, so Tyrion at least owes his brother that much mercy. I do hope that Jaime finds out the truth about Joffrey's murder, that it wasn't Tyrion's doing.

No. Tyrion would never kill Jaime. He may want to now, because he's so desperately hurt and angry, but if & when he's faced with the choice, I truly believe his love for his brother would stay his hand.

I don't know about Tryrion but it would be cool if Ser Barristan told Jaime what he thought of him and smacked him with his gauntlet and challenged him to a duel. I guess it wouldn't be chivalrous with Jaime missing a hand but still.

No. Tyrion would never kill Jaime. He may want to now, because he's so desperately hurt and angry, but if & when he's faced with the choice, I truly believe his love for his brother would stay his hand.

Brotherly envy, not brotherly love, is Tyrion's most characteristic brotherly emotion. Even his brotherly love is selfish. He loves Jaime because (he thinks) Jaime loves him. He measures Jaime's love for him by the fact that (he thinks) Jaime procured for him a virgin girl to use as a whore and then discard.

Brotherly envy, not brotherly love, is Tyrion's most characteristic brotherly emotion. Even his brotherly love is selfish. He loves Jaime because (he thinks) Jaime loves him. He measures Jaime's love for him by the fact that (he thinks) Jaime procured for him a virgin girl to use as a whore and then discard.

Yes, Tyrion may be envious of his older brother (which is probably only natural), but you seem to be implying that he is wrong to believe that Jaime loves him, and that Jaime himself doesn't love Tyrion. If that's what you are suggesting, I disagree. I think it's clear that Jaime does love his brother - after all, why else would he go to the trouble of freeing him and arranging his escape from KL? - and that he's always been the only family member who does love Tyrion.

Tyrion is emotionally in a very dark place during ADWD (as GRRM has put it), but I don't see him ever being able to kill Jaime. Cersei yes, but not Jaime. Don't forget that Tyrion was the one who insisted that Jaime tell him what 'debt' Jaime owed him, despite Jaime's warning. Some things are better left unsaid and unknown.

I'm actually considering the possibility that it won't matter. I begin to suspect that by the time Tyrion makes it back to Westeros riding the skirts of Daenerys the twins will both be dead.

but you seem to be implying that he is wrong to believe that Jaime loves him, and that Jaime himself doesn't love Tyrion.

Not at all. He loves Jaime because Jaime loves Tyrion; he hates Jaime because Jaime does not love Tyrion. Which is more true I leave up to you. It is the same reason he loves/hates his father, loves/hates Tysha, loves/hates Shae.

To the extent Jaime loves Tyrion, Tyrion eats up the love and gives nothing in return. To the extent Jaime does not love Tyrion, or does not love him enough, Tyrion hates Jaime.

Or, to put it another way, Tyrion hates everybody, including Jaime. But he loves to be loved.

Or, to put it another way, Tyrion hates everybody, including Jaime. But he loves to be loved.

Again, I don't know that I would say 'Tyrion hates Jaime' without qualification. I think he hates Jaime just now (ADWD), because he is still caught up in the anger and guilt over Tysha, and is also wallowing in a good dose of self-pity because of the situation he is in. But I don't believe he has always hated Jaime, or that he always will. Once Tyrion starts to be honest with himself, whenever that may be, he will realise that Jaime did not have to come down and free him at all, let alone make arrangements for his escape from KL. Tyrion might be very dead if it weren't for his brother, as there was certainly no guarantee that Tywin would have succeeded in arranging things and getting the Tyrells on side!

But I think you are correct in saying that Tyrion loves to be loved, which is undoubtedly a direct result of not being loved by most of his family, and being ridiculed and scorned by the rest of the world. When you have been treated like dirt by most people since you were born, then of course you desperately want to be loved. And if you have never been shown by others what 'love' means, then it might be very difficult to reciprocate because you don't know how to, if that makes sense.

In terms of his relationship with Jaime, I don't know how Tyrion could show much more that he loves his brother - the Lannisters aren't exactly the sort of family to over-indulge in brotherly / fatherly hugs or the equivalent of "I love you, bro'" !! However, remember that in ACOK Tyrion did at least try to get Jaime freed via his plot in sending some key extras in the Lannister guards when they went to Riverrun, and it was pure bad luck that the plot failed. This was more than Tywin ever did for his elder son. Don't forget that scene between Tywin and Tyrion after Jaime is captured, when Tywin sends Tyrion to KL as acting Hand. Tyrion asks "why", and Tywin says "because you are my son". And as he's never treated Tyrion as his son before, Tyrion knows immediately that Tywin has given up the idea of freeing Jaime, and he is angry about that. Tyrion has nothing at all to gain personally by getting Jaime back, but it's Tyrion, not the family patriarch Tywin, who at least tries to arrange a rescue. I'd say that's reasonable evidence for some sort of love for his brother.

I think it's clear that Tyrion loves Jaime, it is bluntly stated many times in AGOT.

There's the fact that he says he could forgive him for "almost" everything, then later he says he would never bet against family, he gets mad at Tywin when he realizes that his father has given up hope of rescuing Jaime etc...

Their relationship is never relaly described, but there are many hints that show how Tyrion cares for Jaime, the way he thinks about him.

Then when they meet at the end of ASOS (before Jaime drops the Tysha bomb), I love the familiarity in which they talk to each other.

And i think that Jaime loves Tyrion too, although he never really stood up for him against his father or against the rest of the world.

But the beauty of Jaime's character is how he starts to really develop only when he finds himself free of Cersei's influence.

I think tyrion will kill his sister, given the prophecies I dont see how he wouldnt.

Jamie is a tougher question.

Tyrion is his father's son, though. Ruthless to the core. I dont think he will kill Jamie, but if Jamie is still alive I see a massive putting of Jamie in his place by Tyrion upon Tyrion's return to power

I don't think that he would, but we still don't know all the details surrounding Tysha incident. It might be that Jamie's lie had a much more significant impact on outcome of it than we know so far.

ETA:spelling

• 3 months later...

So I started reading DWD and the pov I was looking forward to was Tyrion's. Last time we saw him he killed his father and tried to hurt Jaime's feelings for Cersei and falsely admitted of killing Joffrey. In the beginning in DWD Tyrion at Illyrio's manse looks at spikes and ponders how nicely would Cersei's head fit on top of them, followed by Jaime's because no one should keep the twins apart. Thinking of Jaime hurts him and makes wish his death and destruction. In GoT he tells Jon that as a boy in CR he often wished to burn Cersei and Tywin . In DWD he starts including Jaime in the list of people he wants to kill and then he dreams of invading Westeros, killing his father again and then smashing Jaime's head. In the dream Tyrion has two heads and after he is done killing Jaime his second head weeps. When they last parted Tyrion had reasons to be emotionally unstable and the revelation about Tysha made him angry. Plus Tyrion is in his 20's Jaime is in his 30's. I believe that Tyrion knows how much his brother loves him and I really want their relationship to survive the incident with Tysha. I don't think that Jaime could have done anything to protect the girl without making Tywin angry.

I think at some point they will reconcile, although I am afraid that their relationship will never be the same again. For me, the weeping of the second head in that dream pretty clearly signals that Tyrion does not actually want to hurt Jaime, and that when push comes to shove, he wouldn't.

Archived