[Book Spoilers] What was up with Irri?

Actually, what I got from the books, Dany's Dothraki worship her as a goddess since she is the Mother of Dragons. There is no tension whatsoever between Dothraki custom and the commands/decisions of their Khaleesi. They would follow her to the very end, and do whatever she tells them to do.

So I really don't think this whole barbarism vs. civilization theme here has anything to do with the books. And as I see it they seem to go down that road. Irri and the other Dothraki stand for barbarism, Doreah, Jorah, and the Qartheen stand for civilization.

Else the difference between 'princess' and 'khaleesi' would not be that big a deal...

Actually, what I got from the books, Dany's Dothraki worship her as a goddess since she is the Mother of Dragons. There is no tension whatsoever between Dothraki custom and the commands/decisions of their Khaleesi. They would follelant to Queenow her to the very end, and do whatever she tells them to do.

So I really don't think this whole barbarism vs. civilization theme here has anything to do with the books. And as I see it they seem to go down that road. Irri and the other Dothraki stand for barbarism, Doreah, Jorah, and the Qartheen stand for civilization.

Else the difference between 'princess' and 'khaleesi' would not be that big a deal...

Khaleesi is more equivalent to Queen than princess.

I am so glad that Doreah did not get killed.

Hottest actress on the show.

She is smoking hot, but to be honest I´d have a very hard time deciding between her and Irri!

I wonder whether it will be Doreah or Irri who gets to, uh, "relax" Dany in that cabin scene on the ship ^ ^

I thought maybe the tension was hinting that something may have started to happen already between Doreah and Danny and Irri was jealous. I spent the rest of that episode waiting for a adittional scene. I had to watch the whole episode again when it finished without it as I wasn't paying attention other than looking for that scene!

Yeah, no Jhogo. Rhakaro in the show was originally cast as Jhogo but they changed the name to avoid confusion with Drogo.

As far as I can tell her three blood riders were Rhakaro (Jhogo), Kavarro and Aggo.

Rhakaro is now dead and headless and we haven't seen Aggo since the first episode of season two.

Xaro could still be gay. But it was intriguing how different the proposal was in the books. Basically in the show Xaro is handing Dany the Iron Throne, purchasing ships and an army, everything she wants. It is an easy way, but something must happen that she chooses the hard path into Slaver's Bay - probably she finds out Xaro's lust for the dragons, or a dragon.

I've been wondering how they are going to play her saying no to Xaro since he made the deal seem so perfect. In the book, he didn't care about Westeros or want to give her ships, but the show has made him seem like such a great ally for her. I don't mind changes and am just interested to see how they are going to roll with it.

I've been wondering how they are going to play her saying no to Xaro since he made the deal seem so perfect. In the book, he didn't care about Westeros or want to give her ships, but the show has made him seem like such a great ally for her. I don't mind changes and am just interested to see how they are going to roll with it.

She's going to figure out that he only wants to marry her so he can take one of her dragons. I have a feeling she'll see a vision of this in the House of the Undying. The Bride of Flame will not be pleased.

Like Jorah said - He is expecting something in return. It it is pretty obvious what that is. One or more Dragons.

I believe that in the books, Jorah asks around and learns of a Qarthian wedding tradition where the groom can ask any gift of his wife, and she has to give it to him. Dany realizes that he would undoubtedly ask for Drogon, and she is unwilling to part with him.

I tend to skim the Dany chapters, so I probably got a few details wrong, but I think that was the gist of it. Arstan and Strong Belwas soon arrive after the House of the Undying.

I believe that in the books, Jorah asks around and learns of a Qarthian wedding tradition where the groom can ask any gift of his wife, and she has to give it to him. Dany realizes that he would undoubtedly ask for Drogon, and she is unwilling to part with him.

I tend to skim the Dany chapters, so I probably got a few details wrong, but I think that was the gist of it. Arstan and Strong Belwas soon arrive after the House of the Undying.

Yeah I agree with this but I think they've changed it slightly. Xaro has set up this episode that Dany can have half of everything that's his. She'll realise soon that he means to have half of what she has, i.e. full ownership of one of her dragons. I think this ties in better with modern ways of thinking (I'm thinking modern marriage sharing and in particular divorce settlements) than if they were to pluck out another ancient tradition.

I actually think that Dany's line to Doreah in this episode ("men like to talk when they're happy") may be a setup for Doreah finding out about the Qartheen marriage custom and reporting this information to Dany, which will in turn cause Dany to realize that marrying Xaro will essentially mean giving up one of her dragons, and thus cause her to decide against this option.

On a side note, regarding the mentions of Xaro's sexuality in the show as opposed to the books - all he said in the show was that he married once for love. This could still allow him to be gay, as we have no idea how the Qartheen feel about gay marriage. Maybe it's a long shot considering the time period this show is based on, but this IS a fantasy world. Ultimately I simply don't think Xaro's sexuality will be addressed on the show, as his marriage proposal is significant primarily for political reasons.

On a side note, regarding the mentions of Xaro's sexuality in the show as opposed to the books - all he said in the show was that he married once for love. This could still allow him to be gay, as we have no idea how the Qartheen feel about gay marriage. Maybe it's a long shot considering the time period this show is based on, but this IS a fantasy world. Ultimately I simply don't think Xaro's sexuality will be addressed on the show, as his marriage proposal is significant primarily for political reasons.

Only problem is, right after saying that, he says, "[...] but the gods stole herfrom me."

So yeah. He's straight. Unless he's trying to hide his sexuality? I don't know...

I don't really see the problem with Xaro not being gay. The show has clearly not avoided showing gay relationship(s), so they probably did it because they felt it made for a more compelling alternative for Dany. In the book, she really has no intention or desire to marry Xaro - it is a bit ridiculous to her.

EDIT: And to comment on the Irri/Doreah - I like how they are setting up the handmaidens as competing influences on Dany, like angels on her shoulders. And it doesn't hurt that both Irri and Doreah are *very* pleasing to the eye. B)

Archived