[No spoilers] Mid-season report card

Everyone should have Theon and Davos listed imo. These two are knocking their roles out of the ballpark. I mean Tyrion's great and all, but he's basically been Tyrion and hasn't had a standout scene yet.

For the female roles, Catelyn has been the best actress by far, but Michelle Fairley was excellent last season as well. If I were to name a most improved actress, it would probably go to Cersei. It's like Lena Headey realized during the interim that, "hey, GoT is actually a hit show and winning Emmy's...maybe I should try!" Brienne's also been perfectly casted. Asha/Yara still doesn't do it for me and comes across as a cruel bully rather than the fiery, playful sea captain. After a handful of scenes, I don't think my opinion will change with her.

Most of all though, I think I'm most pleased with Carice van Houten as Melisandre, and not just for her looks. Some other actress may have butchered the role and turned Melisandre into this cliche'd, otherwordly fantasy sorceress, but Carice has played her with subtle humanity, especially when she's flirting with Davos or rolling her eyes at Renly. She nailed the mysteriousness of Melisandre while still keeping her grounded in reality. Melisandre could've been a hard sell for a lot of non-readers, but Carice has sold her well.

Guys

Theon - Despite me not liking his character in the books but Alfie Allen is doing a great job with him this season

Tyrion - He's Tyrion, what can you say?

Bronn - Not a major character but I just love him. He just has to have two lines and there usually the best in the episode

Sam - "It's beautiful here; Gilly would love it!"

Women

Arya - By gods old and new, Maisie Williams just is killing it with her. She's so heartbreaking but strong at the same time. She is Arya.

Dany - We see her struggling to discover who she is, a theme that carries throughout the books. And Emilia Clarke is insanely gorgeous.

Melisandre - She captures her creepy spookiness and like the poster above mentioned, she's still human and not at all like a typical fantasy sorceress

Brienne - Probably one of the hardest characters to cast not just physically, but capturing the spirit of the characer

Creatures

Drogon - Bring on the other dragons, though!

Summer - I love how they are doing the wargging in the show. I was curious how that might look

Grey Wind and Ghost - Direwolves rock although I want to see them in action

Male:

Tywin

Joffrey

Tyrion/Bronn

I think these have all fairly nailed their parts. I partnered Tyrion and Bronn because they work better together than any buddy cop duo I've ever seen. Dance has been able to bring the arrogant-but-not-inhuman Lord Tywin to life. Gleeson has made me hate Joffrey so much more than Martin ever managed. That's not a knock on Martin, just trying to give props to that boy.

Female:

Arya

Daenerys

Catelyn

Williams has taken possibly the hardest role in the series and absolutely crushed it. Clarke has been strong throughout, I think she's done a wonderful job of showing the maturing of her character. Fairley has been able to garner the sympathy that I was never able to muster in the books for her character.

Disappointed:

Lord Baelish

Jon Snow

Part of it has been the writing, part has been the portrayals. I think both were stronger in their roles last season and took big steps back this season.

Guys:

1. Alfie Allen as Theon

2. Dinklage as Tyrion

3. Jack Gleeson as Joffrey

4. Conleth Hill as Varys

Girls:

1-10. Maisie Williams as Arya -- absolutely flawless, needs an emmy

11. Michelle Fairley as Catelyn

12. Sophie Turner as Sansa

Male:

Tywin

Joffrey

Tyrion/Bronn

I think these have all fairly nailed their parts. I partnered Tyrion and Bronn because they work better together than any buddy cop duo I've ever seen. Dance has been able to bring the arrogant-but-not-inhuman Lord Tywin to life. Gleeson has made me hate Joffrey so much more than Martin ever managed. That's not a knock on Martin, just trying to give props to that boy.

Female:

Arya

Daenerys

Catelyn

Williams has taken possibly the hardest role in the series and absolutely crushed it. Clarke has been strong throughout, I think she's done a wonderful job of showing the maturing of her character. Fairley has been able to garner the sympathy that I was never able to muster in the books for her character.

Disappointed:

Lord Baelish

Jon Snow

Part of it has been the writing, part has been the portrayals. I think both were stronger in their roles last season and took big steps back this season.

But with Jon's storyline, though, in both the books and the show up to this point, he really hasn't had much to do. Can't really fault the actor or the writers on that one. His storyline picks up with the wilding stuff.

LF, on the other hand, still puzzled by what is going on with that this season. LF's a minor character that like Varys, we see sporadically in the books, but for the show, you need more face time or else people forget who you are. I'm hoping by the end of the season, LF's role will make more sense and the acting has gotten more consistent. We'll see.

I know he hasn't had a lot to do, but I don't think Harrington has done very well with what he has had. His delivery has been...petulant. Last season, when his character was actually acting petulant, his portrayal seemed spot on. It's seemed like he stuck with that approach, even though the character should be growing and maturing.

LF last season seemed competent, self-assured, unflappable. This season, he seems out of sorts, easily-maneuvered, a pawn in the game that lets his motivations show plainly. Maybe it's a long con for him, time will tell.

Can't say more without spoilers.

I like how Joff and Pyat Pree are classified as "creatures". :)

In no special order:

Guys: Tyrion, Tywin, Joffrey, Jaqen H'ghar (apparently they are doing the best with the Lannisters)

Girls: Arya, Sansa (wish we saw her more), Catelyn

Creatures: Drogon, Greywind

Gals:

1. Ros

Really? Tell me it is just because she managed to find some clothes this year.

Archived