Revealing of Jon Snow's mother

JonBran

Martin has said we will learn who Jon'd mother is before series end. Who wil be the character who reveals the truth to Jon?

I have two frontrunners, Bran and Melisandre

Bran

Currently crafting his greensight, he also can now see what the weirwoods have, very useful device for revealing the truth.

ie. Ned in prayer

Melisandre

This theory relies on speculation, as we don't truly know if Jon survived the stabbing.

If Melisandre resurrects Jon he may start to trust her more, and she may be the one to reveal who his mother was. Of course as I said Jon would need to trust her along with her visions.

That being said, if Jon does die and Melisandre is the one to revive him he will no longer be bound to the Nights Watch. This could lead to him being King Beyond The Wall, although that is too ambitious a prediction and not what I started this discussion for.

Any other predictions on how/who will be revealing JS's mommy?

I'm sure we'll learn the truth eventually, but I just hope that so does Jon (it would be so frustrating for GRRM to leave him in the dark - assuming its R&L=J, if its something pointless like Wyalla then meh).

For frontrunners that could tell Jon, than I think you're spot on about Bran. Once he can harness his new powers a bit better its almost certain that he will be able to look back in the past and see the truth or somthing like that. How he'll get this information to Jon is another matter...

A dark horse to add to the list is Varys. It was never clear whether or not Ned trusted him in his final days in the dungeon.

If Jon's parents are L+R then we will find out from Howland Reed as he was the only one who was there at the Tower of Joy. It is also possible that Howland told Meera and Jojo and they will be the ones to tell us.

Bran can also tell us once he learns to use his new powers better.

JON BETTER BE TOLD AS WELL! I hope GRRM wouldn;t leave him in the dark like that.

I think the more interesting question is who the identity of Jon's mother will be revealed to first. I have a feeling Jon will be the last to know. Almost all other POV characters have more of clue about who his mother is than he does. And yes, I am dying to read his reaction for when he does find out the truth, but I think having the reveal happen in some other POV will have a bigger impact on the plot, especially if the truth is R + L. Jon's story arc is ultimately about fighting the Others. It's what he has been doing and will continue to do no matter who his parents are.

However, other characters finding out could change their story lines. And I could make a case for any POV being the one to find out. For example, Jon Con finds out Jon Snow is Rhaeger's son, what does he do? Does he encourage Aegon to seek Jon Snow out or to fight him? What happens if he discovers Aegon's a fake and Jon's the real deal? Does Dany find out, and the relevation forces her to finally realize Ned Stark is not the Usurper's dog?

Who the identity is revealed to will determine how the revelation will come about. If Bran or Sam find out, the reveal will be done using the supernatural. If Tyrion finds out it would most likely be done with plain old logic, like the way he discovered Joff hired the guy to kill Bran.

Martin has said we will learn who Jon'd mother is before series end. Who wil be the character who reveals the truth to Jon?

I have two frontrunners, Bran and Melisandre

Any other predictions on how/who will be revealing JS's mommy?

Why assume that Jon survived the assassination? Is Jon a pov in WoW?

But let's say Jon DOES survive.

How would Bran communicate with him?

As for Mel, she wasn't even prescient enough to save Jon from the assassins.

And she wasn't able to see through Ramsay's deception? She's not even in Moqorro's league ;)

What about Benjen Stark? (Coldhands, I think) I always thought that maybe he knew. He's not stupid, he knows Ned more than anything, he knew Lyanna, he knew Rhaegar, I'm sure he'd at least figure it out on his own based on Jon's looks and Lyanna's infatuation to Rhaegar.

Also, when Jon and Benjen converse about what it takes to be on the Wall, Benjen says something about girls, Jon says how he doesn't care about that, Benjen then says,

“You might, if you knew what it meant,” Benjen said. “If you knew what the oath would cost you, you might be less eager to pay the price, son.”

We just don't know if Jon has actually been stabbed. That chapter could entirely be a dream that Jon wakes from in his next POV. The Pink letter could be non-existant. We do know that Jon has green dreams, there was one in which he returned to an empty Winterfell and was compelled to seek something in the crypts.

We just don't know if Jon has actually been stabbed. That chapter could entirely be a dream that Jon wakes from in his next POV. The Pink letter could be non-existant. We do know that Jon has green dreams, there was one in which he returned to an empty Winterfell and was compelled to seek something in the crypts.

Interesting theory. Just wish he'd tell us if Jon is POV in this book or not. I need to know!!!!

IMHO Jon's mother is Wylla and we will get a reveal about her not being what we learned so far. Oh, and his father is Ned.

Hil-AR-ious.

Howland Reed is the only one which knows for sure who his mother is

Only if the mother is Lyanna.

You're both probably wrong. Howland Reed knows, yeah. But so does Bloodraven ("King! King!") and at some point, Bran will too. Wylla almost has to know, seeing as she's clearly in on it. And Ashara Dayne, if she's alive, probably knows. I think she's the one who tipped Ned off about the Tower of Joy in the first place.

I think the point is that WE will learn who Jon's mother is, not necessarily Jon. That probably helps lengthen the list of candidates; nonetheless, I'd say Bran is still the front runner, with the presumption that the audience is aware of Jon's mother's identity, and that Jon is left in the dark for some time before he finds out.

Makes me wonder, in a suprise revelation, that Jyana will actually show up and be the one to enlighten us/Jon with info.

(Jyana, of course, being Howland Reed's wife and Meera and Jojen's mother)

It might be a stretch in some context, especially since we know nothing of her other then her marriage and name. But so many expect someone like Howland, Bran - she could be the twist, after being shuffled in the background from us readers. She likely could have known what happened if Howland opened up to her and offered details. And, considering that Howland Reed decided to choose a M.I.A life for years after the rebellion, as his wife she would have understood the reasons.

Otherwise, Bran or Howie it is - I'll also have a vote on Benjen, if he ever manages to show up again.

While everything is all up in the air, I do hope that Jon will find out his true parentage at some point. It would be an interesting scene.

I don't think anyone will tell him straight up.

More likely Bran will guide him to Winterfell crypts where a clue lies about his identity.

Someone with historical knowledge (such as Sam) will be with him and tell him what it means when he pulls Dark Sister from Lyannas grave.

Archived