Revealing of Jon Snow's mother

JonBran

If Jon is AA, he finds out who he is by not dying his stabbing.

If Jon is AA, and a dragon has 3 heads. It's going to be Jon, Dany, and SANSA (Fire and Ice). This makes the most sense that of the 3 dragon heads, 2 are women. The books not only need to define a king at the end, but will also need to determine an heir. Dany cannot provide an heir, therefore you will need it to come from another woman.

This is all predicated that Jon is AA.

Also, Dragon is the only dragon which will be riden.

It's going to be Jon, Dany, and SANSA (Fire and Ice). This makes the most sense that of the 3 dragon heads, 2 are women. The books not only need to define a king at the end, but will also need to determine an heir. Dany cannot provide an heir, therefore you will need it to come from another woman.

Sansa will emerge as a Queen from the Vale, an enemy to Aegon/Dany. I don't see her being a part of any Targaryen rule. Also, Dany had her moon blood at the end of Dance.

Sansa will emerge as a Queen from the Vale, an enemy to Aegon/Dany. I don't see her being a part of any Targaryen rule. Also, Dany had her moon blood at the end of Dance.

Moon blood and being able to get pregnant are 2 different things. But my general thought is that if AA is Jon you will have Dany, Jon, + female. Could even be Arianne.

I'm desperately hoping that he turns out to be Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, because it's a beautiful theory.

However...

I know the TV series is turning out slightly different from the books, but it does have GRRM as an executive producer, and so far there has been no mention of Lyanna bar the bit in the first episode where Robert visits her grave. No fever dreams from Ned, which is where most of the theory comes from. I'm kinda thinking that GRRM is showing HBO what they can leave in and out, and if he's cut Ned's dreams then I'm wondering if maybe R+L=J isn't actually true.

There's precedent in the Harry Potter film series, the studio was going to cut Dobby but JK Rowling stopped them because she knew he was important later on.

Actually there was another reference, and I recall it because I was explicitly looking for any references to her in the series. It happens when Bran is in the crypts of Winterfell, he pauses by Lyanna's tomb and gives a brief story of how Rheagar stole her away and it was the cause of the rebellion, I believe he is telling this to Osha. I was looking for this in the show because it was the first moment in the book where it clicked for me that R+L=J.

I also found it interesting that in last night's episode (and I can't recall if its directly in the book as well with his scenes beyond the wall) but Jon again says that he is the son of Ned Stark, the blood of the First Men flows through him. I feel like that, coupled with Benjen's note about joining the Watch and giving up more than he realizes keeps feeding into this reveal of John having mislead himself all these years because Ned couldn't tell him. I also feel like for the audience, since they aren't necessarily readers, the show has to reinforce over and over that he believes he is Ned's son and it pushes the BAM factor of the reveal (though by the time it does happen it will surely have been ruined by the release of the book unless the show can pump out the seasons before GRRM is finished - which also on a side note has me wondering how exactly HBO will go about it because on his current pace they are going to have to make up the final season before he finishes the books).

As to the reveal, my first thoughts are we'll see him find out through a weirwood while watching Ned pray, I think we'll see that because the intimacy of the moment will be unparalleled (plus more Sean Bean is always good). Perhaps Bran will show him the vision, he'll awake and know, or perhaps his spirit will go into a weirwood. However, I wonder if we'll also see it in the sense that Bran or someone who knows reveals this, early on in the book while John lingers on in his direwolf, perhaps unsure of whether he wants to return to the world where his brother's of the watch have abandoned him. Maybe he wanders down from the wall towards Winterfell in Ghost's body to find Arya. When he gets to Winterfell, he finds she's not there or perhaps has to oddly hide in the crypts where he inspects Lyanna's grave. I don't know, thats just rambling speculation, are the crypts even accessible anymore after the "dragon" emerged from the fires? I dont know, I just think we'll see him struggle with his existence once in Ghost, he'll receive the knowledge, and then he will arise from the dead.

Jon will find out who his parents are from Jojen (aka Howland Reed!). When "Jojen" leaves Bran, he will not be able to go back through the wall the way he came since he cannot use the secret passage as he is not a member of the NW. That'll force him to head along the wall where he'll run squarely into the NW and Jon. Bazinga.

Jon will find out who his parents are from Jojen (aka Howland Reed!).

Okay I don't understand the whole reverse aging Howland thing. Jojen is a boy about Bran's age. Howland was Ned's age. Therefore is order for Jojen to be Howland aging in reverse, he would have to be aging in "fast reverse." What references are there for this theory other than Jojen is getting small.(because he's not eating)

Also Meera would know her brother.

Okay I don't understand the whole reverse aging Howland thing. Jojen is a boy about Bran's age. Howland was Ned's age. Therefore is order for Jojen to be Howland aging in reverse, he would have to be aging in "fast reverse." What references are there for this theory other than Jojen is getting small.(because he's not eating)

Also Meera would know her brother.

I never said that Howland is aging in reverse. I think either that those people either age really slow or there is some magic involved. My theory is that there never has been a Jojen, and Meera is in on it (obviously).

Jon' mother is catelyn stark. Ned was support to tell her on her name day

Right! Jon and Robb were fraternal twins, but Cat lost consciousness and Luwin never told her she’d had twins. Jon was hidden away with his wet nurse until Ned came back, pretending to have brought them with him.

I'm desperately hoping that he turns out to be Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, because it's a beautiful theory.

However...

I know the TV series is turning out slightly different from the books, but it does have GRRM as an executive producer, and so far there has been no mention of Lyanna bar the bit in the first episode where Robert visits her grave. No fever dreams from Ned, which is where most of the theory comes from. I'm kinda thinking that GRRM is showing HBO what they can leave in and out, and if he's cut Ned's dreams then I'm wondering if maybe R+L=J isn't actually true.

There's precedent in the Harry Potter film series, the studio was going to cut Dobby but JK Rowling stopped them because she knew he was important later on.

The theory behind the failure to film Ned's TOJ dream sequence and the other flashbacks involving his promise to Lyanna is that doing so would make it way too obvious to the viewers that Lyanna had a child with Rhaegar. Once this is fact is known to the viewers, they would not have any trouble figuring out R + L = J (something I hope is not true, actually). As the question of Jon's parentage is arguably the biggest "reveal" in the series, the writers want to build up the suspense as long as possible.

I probably should have continued reading the posts. I now realize that other people said the same thing I did.

• 2 months later...

I think it is a good possibility Jon will find out his identity through one of the Reeds. Jojen and Meera are closest geographically. I am inclined to believe they know the truth. After Bran was told the story of the knight of the laughing tree he said the mystery knight should have won and named the wolf girl the queen of love and beauty. To which Meera responded, "Aye, she was. But that's a sadder story". I think this can possibly hint that they know the whole story.

My second theory is that Howland Reed will make his way to the wall with Rob's remaining bannerman and will. I believe I read somewhere GRRM saying we will be introduced to Howland. He also said there will be no new POV's besides the prologues and epilogues. Howland has to leave the neck to find a POV character. The only ones in the north are Jon, Mellisandre, Theon, Bran and Asha (my bad if I left anyone out). I can't see Howland giving up this secret to any ironborn or a red priest. Bran doesn't look like he is moving from that cave for a long while so that rules him out as well. This pretty much just leaves Jon.

I'm also a strong believer in R+L=J. If I could pick any part of the books to see what a character is thinking it would be a POV from Ned while he contemplates Jon's decision to join the NW. I've asked myself plenty of times why he would allow that kind of fate for Jon when he knew what the NW had become. I'd bet he was thinking about what may happen to Jon if this secret would be revealed. Robert would have surely hunted him down and killed him. This also leads me to believe Howland is not the only one who knows this secret if Ned was possibly afraid of the knowledge getting out. He knew Jon would always be safe at the wall.

I may be totally off, but it all adds up in my head. This is my first post. I'm a newbie to this site, not the series. Sorry if any of my theories have been stated before, I've read many threads but not all of them. :)

Martin has said we will learn who Jon'd mother is before series end. Who wil be the character who reveals the truth to Jon?

I have two frontrunners, Bran and Melisandre

Bran

Currently crafting his greensight, he also can now see what the weirwoods have, very useful device for revealing the truth.

ie. Ned in prayer

Melisandre

This theory relies on speculation, as we don't truly know if Jon survived the stabbing.

If Melisandre resurrects Jon he may start to trust her more, and she may be the one to reveal who his mother was. Of course as I said Jon would need to trust her along with her visions.

That being said, if Jon does die and Melisandre is the one to revive him he will no longer be bound to the Nights Watch. This could lead to him being King Beyond The Wall, although that is too ambitious a prediction and not what I started this discussion for.

Any other predictions on how/who will be revealing JS's mommy?

IMHO Jon's mother is Wylla and we will get a reveal about her not being what we learned so far. Oh, and his father is Ned.

I don't think you can consider Melisandre because she is not able to interpret her visions correctly although braan is a good choice i would also go with howland reed, also i don't think jon's mother can be wyla why to take such a long time to reveal it.

I have belived in R+L=J since i read GOT and i really can't see anything being another posibility because there are just so many hints and if it is not true those hints are just mean, lol. But i do think will learn the true from Howland Reed. I acutally think he is the hooded man that theon sees in winterfell and he is there probably looking for his children who are beyond the wall. Now I dont know if Howland Reed will go to the wall to jon or Jon will come to him in Winterfell which i much prefer. Maybe jon dies, comes back to life and get an wilding army to retake winterfell and then stannis argues with jon about whether to march north to the wall or south to the iron throne and the north men are divided too since some might want revenge for the red wedding since more than starks died that day. Finally, Howland Reed will reveal jon true parents and people will follow him to the wall to fight the white walkers. If not maybe blackfish will arrive with robb's decree making jon king of the north and Howland Reed can keep quite and follow jon until dany meets jon at the wall and reveal that she is his aunt.

Archived