A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

Hi

My first post on this site. SO interesting! SO civilised! Especially all the US comments, as I'm a Brit, myself.

Now, I have a small question - why has "Asha" from the books become "Yara" in the TV series? Thought they might cover this on Thronecast when Gemma Whelan was interviewed, but nothing was said...

Hi

My first post on this site. SO interesting! SO civilised! Especially all the US comments, as I'm a Brit, myself.

Now, I have a small question - why has "Asha" from the books become "Yara" in the TV series? Thought they might cover this on Thronecast when Gemma Whelan was interviewed, but nothing was said...

I think that it was to avoid confusion with the character Osha's name.

It´s not, but with the re-arming of the Faith Militant . . . Will they support someone who converted to the R´hllor? I think not.

That he´d rebelled wouldn´t help him, too.

No, I don't see the Faith going out of their way to bless a King who asks or demands outright that people convert to the belief of the Red God. The future ought to be interesting in Westeros, with a three-way conflict between the Iron Throne, Stannis and the Faith Militant.

Still, my point is that the Faith does not have more than a token say on the matter of legitimacy of a King. Maybe not even that much.

It may well raise the masses against one claimaint or another, but it has no significant official role in the matters of legitimacy.

in American English, maybe. But in Alfie Allen's accent, Asha and Osha would be virtually indistinguishable.

I'm English English and Arya and Yara sounds more similar when I say them, but you're right about his accent. I guess it made more sense to them as well since they seem to be expanding the importance of Osha.

I wonder if they have highly educated courtesans at Yunkai and Lys, like those of Braavos or the ones that existed in many places in our world (oirans from Japan, qiyan from the arabic countries, greek hetairas...etc.). For what I have read in the wiki, the old rpg and the books, I got the impression that at Yunkai they train courtesans for sex, dance and maybe play some instrument, but that at Lys they give them an actual education so they become worthy to be shown in court.

It would be funny if Tyrion ever meets a braavosi courtesans and realizes that, to the eyes of the braavosi, those courtesans enjoy a social standing and appreciation a lot higher than an exiled westerosi lord...

Is this right?

Others= weird humanoid creatures we don't know much about except Craster sacrifices his sons for them.

Wight Walkers= being's killed by an other(s) which then wake from the dead as zombies which are under the influence of the other's will

Is this right?

Others= weird humanoid creatures we don't know much about except Craster sacrifices his sons for them.

Wight Walkers= being's killed by an other(s) which then wake from the dead as zombies which are under the influence of the other's will

White Walkers and Others are the same thing. Wights =/= White Walkers.

not sure if this has been covered by anybody, but did anybody else notice tom o'sevens at riverrun when jamie left? i'm wondering if that's where the BwB is going to strike next and if that is 'proof' that the blackfish is working with them now?

any thoughts/conspiracies?

I had to laugh, because this was on my mind this morning as well! I just reread aFfC and I think I had missed Tom O's7's the first go round and was quite startled. I think he's a spy for the BwB and could even be passing code through his songs, and/or is going to help Lady Stoneheart and her gang into Riverrun for some Frey/Lannister payback.

No, I don't see the Faith going out of their way to bless a King who asks or demands outright that people convert to the belief of the Red God. The future ought to be interesting in Westeros, with a three-way conflict between the Iron Throne, Stannis and the Faith Militant.

Still, my point is that the Faith does not have more than a token say on the matter of legitimacy of a King. Maybe not even that much.

It may well raise the masses against one claimaint or another, but it has no significant official role in the matters of legitimacy.

i think the blessing of the High Septon is pretty important. I believe it is the High Septon who places the crown on the head of the King during the coronation. And that ceremony is the official recognition of the king. Without recognition from him and a coronation it opens the door for others to lay claim to the throne. Cersei found it important enough to allow the faith to re-arm themselves in exchange for him blessing Tommen.

i think the blessing of the High Septon is pretty important. I believe it is the High Septon who places the crown on the head of the King during the coronation. And that ceremony is the official recognition of the king. Without recognition from him and a coronation it opens the door for others to lay claim to the throne. Cersei found it important enough to allow the faith to re-arm themselves in exchange for him blessing Tommen.

The last king the Faith endorced entirely was a Targaryen. I actually think it's the only sign that the Faith of the Seven is real since no king has sat the Iron Throne successfully and happily since the Targaryen's.

My reading is very different indeed. It seems rather clear that claims to the throne hardly ever bother to ask the Faith for its blessing, although they certainly welcome it.

As for the reestablishment of the armed orders, it was in exchange for forgiving the Crown's debt. Blessing Tommen was a freebie.

I agree, but it was not always been the same. Aegon wasnt offered much resistance in part due to his embrace by the Faith, which later led the popular civil war against the targs, when they tried to place King who was the product of incest. We might see more of that if the Faith armed orders are here to stay.

Archived