A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

Can someone link me to the Dunk & Egg sub-forums or discussions topics? I'm going to read them soon, and I can't find a place to discuss them.

Can someone link me to the Dunk & Egg sub-forums or discussions topics? I'm going to read them soon, and I can't find a place to discuss them.

I don't think there are any sub-forums for Dunk and Egg.

Okay, upon rereading/listening to ASOS again (and knowing now to pay more attention to the Laughing Tree story Meera tells) I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the crannogman supposed to be Howland Reed or just some random Neck person.

2. Are the "wolves" as follows: Wild: Brandon, Quiet: Ned, Pup: Benjen.

3. It seems that most people think Laughing Tree is actually Lyanna; but it doesn't seem indicative of that in the story inclusively; if so, where's the other evidence that Lyanna=laughing tree? Another book? Or just something the fandom connected the dots of?

Okay, upon rereading/listening to ASOS again (and knowing now to pay more attention to the Laughing Tree story Meera tells) I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the crannogman supposed to be Howland Reed or just some random Neck person.

2. Are the "wolves" as follows: Wild: Brandon, Quiet: Ned, Pup: Benjen.

3. It seems that most people think Laughing Tree is actually Lyanna; but it doesn't seem indicative of that in the story inclusively; if so, where's the other evidence that Lyanna=laughing tree? Another book? Or just something the fandom connected the dots of?

1. The crannogman is Howland Reed.

2. Yes. Brandon's wild, Ned's quiet, Lyanna's the wolf maid and the pup is Benjen.

3. It's something, like much in the books, that you have to figure out for yourself.

-The Knight is smaller (like a young woman?) and has to boom to project "his" voice. If Lyanna is intentionally lowering her voice, she might make it boom.

-Lyanna, unlike a real knight, would not have had her own armor. She'd be forced to salvage spare bits, like the Knight.

-Jousting relies on being an excellent horse rider. That should immediately disqualify Howland, who might know how to ride, but who would not be skilled enough to joust, let alone win a joust. We have multiple anecdotes about Lyanna being a terrific horsewoman who also knew how to use a sword.

-Lyanna was present when the crannogman was initially picked on. She'd know whom to target in the lists.

-Rhaegar was charged with discovering the Knight's identity. The idea is that he found out it was Lyanna, and that meeting was what sparked their relationship. He gave her the roses as a nod to her jousting skill, because she was not able to be recognized in a more direct way (she had to bow out before she had the chance to win the whole thing).

-Meera and Jojen are surprised that Bran doesn't know the story, a big clue that a Stark family member is a primary player in it. On the other hand, if the tourney is what led to her death, that could explain why Ned was hesitant to talk about it.

Who is the handsome young man from Westeros that the blind girl (Arya) finds dead in the temple? Can it be Dareon, the black brother that Sam left behind?

Who is the handsome young man from Westeros that the blind girl (Arya) finds dead in the temple? Can it be Dareon, the black brother that Sam left behind?

Arya killed dareon herself, that's the reason the FM "blinded" her.

Its more of TV show question but that forum dont have a general discussion and I dont know the specific episode. Anyway, does the TV show Renly actually accept Robb stark request for alliance?

Arya killed dareon herself, that's the reason the FM "blinded" her.

You are right! And I thought I was doing so well with details on my third re-read :)

Still, the handsome dead Westorosi with four dragons in his pocket can't be random, can he?

Its more of TV show question but that forum dont have a general discussion and I dont know the specific episode. Anyway, does the TV show Renly actually accept Robb stark request for alliance?

I thought that the Renly and Catelyn's scene in 205 covered it? They were still mid-negotiations and the result was pending on Robb's acceptance of Renly's terms. Renly wanted them to have an alliance à la Robert and Ned, where Robb could style himself the King in the North but should swear fealty to Renly.

You are right! And I thought I was doing so well with details on my third re-read :)

Still, the handsome dead Westorosi with four dragons in his pocket can't be random, can he?

I think sometimes a dead man is just a dead man. He is not really important, else some mention of him would have repeated.

I think sometimes a dead man is just a dead man. He is not really important, else some mention of him would have repeated.

That's too bad because it could have been a neat way to tuck in some loose end. Still, it works because it contributes to the feeling that more and more Westerosi flee home and go into exile.

I think he's a Proust madeleine. His presence is a springboard for Arya's thoughts.

To whom Eddard would marry if Robert's Rebellion never happened? Was it said on the books?

And Lyanna was just 15 years old when "kidnapped" by Rhaegar, right? If so, she was 13 when crowned the Queen of Love and Beauty. Rhaegar was 22 in 281 AL. Correct me if I've made any mistake concerning the ages.

To whom Eddard would marry if Robert's Rebellion never happened? Was it said on the books?

And Lyanna was just 15 years old when "kidnapped" by Rhaegar, right? If so, she was 13 when crowned the Queen of Love and Beauty. Rhaegar was 22 in 281 AL. Correct me if I've made any mistake concerning the ages.

Probably Ashara Dayne.

Has GRRM ever spoken about the chronology of the Iron Islands chapters in aFfC? In the first chapter 'The Prophet', Damphair is only just learning of Balon's death, something we learn in the first half of aSoS. So is this much earlier, then there is a jump back to current events? So is the kingsmoot much later than this first chapter?

I have a memory of a SSM in which Martin states that, on top of the concurrent chronology of Feast/Dance, any further messing around of the timeline would be too confusing and so the chapters were chronological, which rules out the possibility that all the kingsmoot stuff is earlier as well (assuming I've remembered correctly).

Archived