A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

Just a small question... don't know if I'm putting it in the right place..

Is Jon Snow's surname significant? Where do bastards get their surname- father, place of birth or just where they are raised/lived?

Just a small question... don't know if I'm putting it in the right place..

Is Jon Snow's surname significant? Where do bastards get their surname- father, place of birth or just where they are raised/lived?

There are a few ways in which they might get their names. For some it depends on who claims them (like Ned, a northerner, claimed Jon). For some, like Mya Stone, it looks like more of a matter of where she grew up. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. The only thing significant about Jon's last name is that it shows that a northerner recognized him as his son.

Can Bran father children?

I don't mean yet...I mean, has it been specified whether or not his injury will prevent sexual activity?

I don't think it's been mentioned. It's possible that no one, including Bran, knows for sure.

It's mentioned in the first book during a Eddard chapter that Ned knows Bran can't father children now that he's cripple. It's during a chapter where he's talking to Arya about her future in King's Landing.

Two questions:

1. Where do I post content about Dunk and Egg? Does that stuff just go in the General forums?

2. Did Aerion Brightflame's Wildfire cocktail contribute to the Tragedy at Summerhall, or was that a different event entirely?

Two questions:

1. Where do I post content about Dunk and Egg? Does that stuff just go in the General forums?

2. Did Aerion Brightflame's Wildfire cocktail contribute to the Tragedy at Summerhall, or was that a different event entirely?

I'm not sure about the Dunk and Egg place... you would think there would be a couple forums dedicated to them, I haven't looked yet.

As to Aerion Brightflame: that happened before Summerhall. Aerion Brightflame was Egg's (King Aegon V) older brother. He died in the year 232 AL. The tragedy at Summerhall happened in the year 259 AL.

edit: spelling

Which of the free cities are known to pay tribute to the dothraki?

I assume Braavos doesn't and I remember something about Qohor hiring Unsullied to defeat them but do any of the others refuse?

As I understand it, none of the Free Cities pay a regular tribute, they probably decide what to do when a khalasar approaches - pay or fight. For example Pentos paid some tribute to Khal Drogo, but like you said Qohor once used Unsullied to fight the Dothraki. And in ADWD, there were was talk of khalasars approaching the Rhoyne, and Volantis was sending soldiers to the smaller towns to reinforce them in case of an attack.

Can Bran father children?

I don't mean yet...I mean, has it been specified whether or not his injury will prevent sexual activity?

I think it may have been alluded to but I don't recall any character actually saying that. It is tricky to say because Bran never mentions whether he has has control over his bladder/ bowels or not. If he has become incontinent then he is most likely impotent.

I was recently thinking about Pate prologue and realized how little i understood it. Reading the wiki it seems to implicate Jaqen H'ghar killed him after getting the key and became him, Im new to the forums but are there any running theory's on why Jaqen is at the Citadel or if its even him.

I was recently thinking about Pate prologue and realized how little i understood it. Reading the wiki it seems to implicate Jaqen H'ghar killed him after getting the key and became him, Im new to the forums but are there any running theory's on why Jaqen is at the Citadel or if its even him.

It's Jaqen, yeah. A popular running theory is that Jaqen is in the Citadel hoping to steal the "Death of Dragons" book there, in a possible effort to kill Dany's dragons. Another idea is that Euron paid the Faceless Men with his dragon egg when they assassinated Balon, and that they might want the book to figure out how to hatch it or control it.

Dont know if this has been addressed: When Jon is attacked at the end of aDwD he feels cold. Now this is a relatively frequent literary "last words" sort of thing with death but makes me wonder - are the Others involved? Bowen Marsh is crying for heavens sake. Has someone warged them? Has Mel taken them over?

If he actually dies that puts a stake in my Ice and Fire = Jon and Dany theory. Even if he wargs into Ghost and she wargs into Drogon, I dont see it working :0

Archived