A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

Dont know if this has been addressed: When Jon is attacked at the end of aDwD he feels cold. Now this is a relatively frequent literary "last words" sort of thing with death but makes me wonder - are the Others involved? Bowen Marsh is crying for heavens sake. Has someone warged them? Has Mel taken them over?

If he actually dies that puts a stake in my Ice and Fire = Jon and Dany theory. Even if he wargs into Ghost and she wargs into Drogon, I dont see it working :0

No one can answer any of that for sure until the next book comes out and explains that happens.

Also, Jon is both Ice and Fire, not just Ice. And Dany is not a warg.

Is Arya being groomed for a specific target? Has anyone hired Faceless Men for Arya's assignment?

I wonder if they know about the Starks' warging ability. If all the crackpot theories are right (FM own a dragon egg & know to hatch a dragon), is it possible that Arya's ultimate task is to actually warg into the dragon? But for what purpose...

Do the faceless Men / kindly man know who Arya realy is?

He learned that she is Arya of House Stark back in AFFC, at the very least. And that is assuming that he did not know before.

It seems that he has not realized her power of warging, however.

What happened to the Sword of the Morning - the sword I mean, not Dayne.

You mean Dawn? It's being held at Starfall, until the next Sword of the Morning (which refers to the knight who wields Dawn, not the sword itself) is chosen.

Here's a question that's been bothering: How many dragons (and dragon types) are featured/mentioned in the story?

Dany had three stone dragon eggs that hatched. That's a fact. But Melisandre mentions stone dragons -- but I interpreted that has her misinterpreting a vision of Dany's eggs. Then I think I can recall the mention of other stone/hidden dragons in Westoros and Ice Dragons beyond the Wall. I only read the series once so it's hard to keep up with those sort of details...

Here's a question that's been bothering: How many dragons (and dragon types) are featured/mentioned in the story? Dany had three stone dragon eggs that hatched. That's a fact. But Melisandre mentions stone dragons -- but I interpreted that has her misinterpreting a vision of Dany's eggs. Then I think I can recall the mention of other stone/hidden dragons in Westoros and Ice Dragons beyond the Wall. I only read the series once so it's hard to keep up with those sort of details...

We have Dany's dragons:

Rhaegal

Viserion

Drogon

Aegon's original three:

Balerion

Meraxes

Vhagar

Alysanne's dragon, Silverwing.

Rhaenyra Targaryen's dragon, Syrax.

And the legendary dragon Urrax.

There were obviously others, but these are the named ones.

There's mention of an ice dragon, but we don't know for sure if this is real or symbolic or what. Euron Greyjoy had a dragon egg that he claims he dumped in the sea, but a lot of people think he used it to pay the Faceless Men to kill Balon. The last Targaryen dragon (nameless, to us) laid five eggs before she died. So there are at least those, plus whatever eggs the Targs had. There were enough eggs for every Targ baby to get one in their cradle when they were born. Some people think that Dany's eggs were actually three from the family stash — Aerion's egg is Viserion, Egg's egg is Rhaegal and Lord Butterwell's egg is Drogon. Either way, there's reason to believe that other eggs are out there besides those in Dany's possession.

Was Naga a dragon or some sort of unrelated sea-beast? I would have assumed that it was merely a part of Iron Islander mythology if not for the giant bones. It reminds me of the Greek island of Samos with its giant skeletons, becoming a home for all sorts of monsters in their mythology... back to the topic; was Naga a dragon?

Was Naga a dragon or some sort of unrelated sea-beast? I would have assumed that it was merely a part of Iron Islander mythology if not for the giant bones. It reminds me of the Greek island of Samos with its giant skeletons, becoming a home for all sorts of monsters in their mythology... back to the topic; was Naga a dragon?

Nagga was a "sea dragon."

The stone dragon question brought it to mind. It really is the only "sea dragon" that we hear of I think and it isn't likely that we'll ever know more. I just had an attack of curiosity. It certainly does seem big though, whatever else may be said about it. It seems to have been comparably in size to Drogon, at least to my rough estimation based on the description given. Interesting topic, just not a good question, my fault :). I was wondering more along the lines of exactly how many and what types of dragon species actually existed at one time and are they all being reborn, or is the return of magic confined to the scope of our narrative? No real answer to those questions. I'm not even sure that Martin has given it much thought, having so much else on his mind.

,,,Jon is both Ice and Fire, not just Ice. And Dany is not a warg.

How is Jon Fire? I missed that.

Also each of them are

only half Targ so if they get together we will have a complete Targ.

I know we have no evidence of Dany warging - just a flight of imagination :)

I am still wondering, is the Perfumed Seneschal that Quaithe is warning Dany about: is it that Reznak guy or the ship captured by slavers that Tyrion was on- the translation could be interpreted as perfumed senechal (not nec Stinky Steward). GRRM is not shy of putting in paired events, or even multiple mirrored events.

How is Jon Fire? I missed that.

Rhaegar is his father (Fire) and Lyanna is his mother (Ice).

Also each of them are
only half Targ so if they get together we will have a complete Targ.

That's ... not really how that works. Also, the idea of them getting together is vomit-inducing. Why anyone roots for it is beyond me.

I know we have no evidence of Dany warging - just a flight of imagination :)

So long as you don't actually think it will happen, because it won't.

I have read all these damn books, 1000s of pages of them, and I still am not quite clear on the Others/White Walkers/wight distinction. Someone please explain it to me! I sort of get the difference between the Others and wights, but the White Walker part throws it off for me, and I only dimly have an idea of what the Others actually are (I may share this problem with GRRM I suspect! :) )

No one really knows what the Others actually are.

We have seen White Walkers at two occasions, the six that killed Waymar Royce and the one slayn by Sam. We have seen many Wights, Waymar rose instantly after being killed to kill Will, iIrc Small Paul also rose instantly after being killed, Othor and Jafer, who were found by Ghost, rose the night following the day they were found, the massive attack at the Fist of the First Men including aWight bear the dead horse Sam´s WW rode and the Wights chased away by Leaf, when Bran reached the Cave of the Singers. There are also reports of the wildlings being attacked by Wights and more..., this is what Tormund Giants Bane told Jon.

ETA: The WW are discribed as tall, gaunt armoured ice knights with longswords (no human metal went into forging them) sharper than a razor, shimmering blue. No hoods.

And this thread. If you are still interested in discussing the Others after reading these threads, try the heresy threads.

I have read all these damn books, 1000s of pages of them, and I still am not quite clear on the Others/White Walkers/wight distinction. Someone please explain it to me! I sort of get the difference between the Others and wights, but the White Walker part throws it off for me, and I only dimly have an idea of what the Others actually are (I may share this problem with GRRM I suspect! :) )

The Others and white walkers are basically the same thing, though there are those, like Lykos, who argue that white walkers are merely a type of Other. Wights, on the other hand, are simply reanimated corpses.

In Game of Thrones, Ned asks Tobho Mott, the armorer, who brought Gendry to him. Tobho says that it was some lord who was not quite as big as Ned and had a brown beard with a bit of red in it. The face was shadowed by a hood. Are we supposed to know who this is? There is no hint that Ned recognizes the description. One reason I ask is that I am unclear on who and how many people know about Gendry. For sure the queen, Varys, and Tohbo, but who this lord is might be a clue to who else knows if it matters.

In Game of Thrones, Ned asks Tobho Mott, the armorer, who brought Gendry to him. Tobho says that it was some lord who was not quite as big as Ned and had a brown beard with a bit of red in it. The face was shadowed by a hood. Are we supposed to know who this is? There is no hint that Ned recognizes the description. One reason I ask is that I am unclear on who and how many people know about Gendry. For sure the queen, Varys, and Tohbo, but who this lord is might be a clue to who else knows if it matters.

It was Varys, I think.

I am still wondering, is the Perfumed Seneschal that Quaithe is warning Dany about: is it that Reznak guy or the ship captured by slavers that Tyrion was on- the translation could be interpreted as perfumed senechal (not nec Stinky Steward). GRRM is not shy of putting in paired events, or even multiple mirrored events.

Could refer to both - prophecies are never explicit, but Reznak seems rather obvious and may be a red herring, and the ship no longer becomes relevant after its contents have alighted - plus the people are already mentioned previously in the prophecy (Tyrion, etc.)

The best theory I've heard is that the Perfumed Seneschal is Varys, who's always noted in Tyrion's POVs for his scent, and he, arguably, has had the most influence on Dany and other Targaryen lives from afar. She hasn't met him yet, but she has pretty good reason to be wary of him, I think.

We have Dany's dragons: Rhaegal Viserion Drogon Aegon's original three: Balerion Meraxes Vhagar Alysanne's dragon, Silverwing. Rhaenyra Targaryen's dragon, Syrax. And the legendary dragon Urrax. There were obviously others, but these are the named ones. There's mention of an ice dragon, but we don't know for sure if this is real or symbolic or what. Euron Greyjoy had a dragon egg that he claims he dumped in the sea, but a lot of people think he used it to pay the Faceless Men to kill Balon. The last Targaryen dragon (nameless, to us) laid five eggs before she died. So there are at least those, plus whatever eggs the Targs had. There were enough eggs for every Targ baby to get one in their cradle when they were born. Some people think that Dany's eggs were actually three from the family stash — Aerion's egg is Viserion, Egg's egg is Rhaegal and Lord Butterwell's egg is Drogon. Either way, there's reason to believe that other eggs are out there besides those in Dany's possession.

Thought Balon was killed by Stannis and Melisandre leach thing?

Archived