A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

Just to the throw the information out there, but in the new Rolling Stone issue Martin states that he is about 200 pages into the Winds of Winter, and he said this book will be a 1500 page book. Which is good news in my opinion.

But my question is:

Varamyrs Sixskins brought up these kind of ethics of warging in his prologue chapter in Dance, (don't warg into a human, don't eat flesh while warging, etc) and it seems that the Stark kids have broken all these rules. (Bran warging into Hodor, them feeding on flesh while controlling the direwolves) Does anyone have any thoughts/theories as to the importance of this or what it means?

Martin had to bring it up for a reason, and the Stark kids aren't becoming evil animals or anything. So i don't know what to make of it.

Just to the throw the information out there, but in the new Rolling Stone issue Martin states that he is about 200 pages into the Winds of Winter, and he said this book will be a 1500 page book. Which is good news in my opinion.

But my question is:

Varamyrs Sixskins brought up these kind of ethics of warging in his prologue chapter in Dance, (don't warg into a human, don't eat flesh while warging, etc) and it seems that the Stark kids have broken all these rules. (Bran warging into Hodor, them feeding on flesh while controlling the direwolves) Does anyone have any thoughts/theories as to the importance of this or what it means?

Martin had to bring it up for a reason, and the Stark kids aren't becoming evil animals or anything. So i don't know what to make of it.

Some wild ass guesses:

1. Not having received any training from a skin changer mentor, they simply don't know it is wrong.

2. Maybe these taboos are because most skin changers are not powerful enough to escape deleterious effects from these activities, so it is a warning to weaker skin changers, "Don't fly too close to the sun with your wax wings."

Baelor Blackfyre, thanks for the good news. I think the prologue of Varamyr warrants a thread of it´s own, especially taking over humans is the ultimate denial of freedom in my opinion. You got the bit with the flesh a bit wrong, I think. When inside a beast, you´re not to feed on beasts and as human you´re not to eat human flesh, at least that´s how I understand it. Bran did both, though and he took Hodor´s skin just to be with the Reeds when they went exploring, knowing it was wrong. Still Bran remains my favorite.

@King Doug: I think you´re right.

“Men may eat the flesh of beasts and beasts the flesh of men, but the man who eats the flesh of man is an abomination.” Abomination. That had always been Haggon’s favorite word. Abomination, abomination, abomination. To eat of human meat was abomination, to mate as wolf with wolf was abomination, and to seize the body of another man was the worst abomination of all.

Most if not all of those two hundred pages doubtless include the chapters that were supposed to be in ADWD but were held over for TWOW. I also wouldn't trust any of George's guesses about how long the books are going to be. He is notoriously bad at guessing these kinds of things.

Most if not all of those two hundred pages doubtless include the chapters that were supposed to be in ADWD but were held over for TWOW. I also wouldn't trust any of George's guesses about how long the books are going to be. He is notoriously bad at guessing these kinds of things.

Oh yeah i forgot about that. Great point. Well were at a crossroads, because were all dying to read the next book but at the same time I want him to take his time. I got into the books after watching the show, so I never really had to wait around for the next book like many people did. And the wait is going to suck.

Teal'c makes some great points. But what enables the Stark kids to be such powerful wargs that can be somewhat immune to the effects of breaking these ethics of warging? Just throwing out another question. One possibility is that their the only wargs we know of who have made a connection with a direwolf. Something about the direwolves is special.

Oh yeah i forgot about that. Great point. Well were at a crossroads, because were all dying to read the next book but at the same time I want him to take his time. I got into the books after watching the show, so I never really had to wait around for the next book like many people did. And the wait is going to suck. Teal'c makes some great points. But what enables the Stark kids to be such powerful wargs that can be somewhat immune to the effects of breaking these ethics of warging? Just throwing out another question. One possibility is that their the only wargs we know of who have made a connection with a direwolf. Something about the direwolves is special.

Aw, shucks! :blushing:

Sixskins definitely covets Ghost, so you may be onto something there about direwolves being extra special. Or perhaps there is something particularly powerful about Starks and direwolves, hence their choice of sigil.

regarding the citadels killing off the dragons as revealed in AFFC, and the whole magic v science thing in general (faceless men, braavos against valyria etc) you recall the faceless man killing off pate in prolouge of book IV and then assuming his identity to 'spy' on marwyn. well he had pate steal a key for him that unlocked..what in the citadel? dunno if its significant yet, (but knowing martin it will be) Tyrion's POV 3(?) in ADWD says he wished he had the tome "Blood and Fire", or a "Death of Dragons" which 'the only knwon copy was locked in a vault within the citadel'/ could hte faceless man who killed Pate be after this tome? how much do the Maester's know of daenerys, and what are they planning at? not a heavily discussed topic i know but bear in mind the larger questions and battle themes that have been developing throughout the book.

sorry if a bit wordy, but first post. didnt wanna be a grenn on this one

regarding the citadels killing off the dragons as revealed in AFFC, and the whole magic v science thing in general (faceless men, braavos against valyria etc) you recall the faceless man killing off pate in prolouge of book IV and then assuming his identity to 'spy' on marwyn. well he had pate steal a key for him that unlocked..what in the citadel? dunno if its significant yet, (but knowing martin it will be) Tyrion's POV 3(?) in ADWD says he wished he had the tome "Blood and Fire", or a "Death of Dragons" which 'the only knwon copy was locked in a vault within the citadel'/ could hte faceless man who killed Pate be after this tome? how much do the Maester's know of daenerys, and what are they planning at? not a heavily discussed topic i know but bear in mind the larger questions and battle themes that have been developing throughout the book. sorry if a bit wordy, but first post. didnt wanna be a grenn on this one

I think he's after the "Death of Dragons" book, yes, but that's yet to be confirmed.

Is there a consensus view on whether Stannis knows his shadow is responsible for Renly's death?

I'm not sure if there is consensus.

IMO its pretty clear he doesn't know initially, but has suspicions and simply avoids going there mentally in order not to confirm them. The show appears to be changing this so that he is appears to be a lot more complicit in what is happening.

regarding the citadels killing off the dragons as revealed in AFFC, and the whole magic v science thing in general (faceless men, braavos against valyria etc) you recall the faceless man killing off pate in prolouge of book IV and then assuming his identity to 'spy' on marwyn. well he had pate steal a key for him that unlocked..what in the citadel? dunno if its significant yet, (but knowing martin it will be) Tyrion's POV 3(?) in ADWD says he wished he had the tome "Blood and Fire", or a "Death of Dragons" which 'the only knwon copy was locked in a vault within the citadel'/ could hte faceless man who killed Pate be after this tome? how much do the Maester's know of daenerys, and what are they planning at? not a heavily discussed topic i know but bear in mind the larger questions and battle themes that have been developing throughout the book. sorry if a bit wordy, but first post. didnt wanna be a grenn on this one

Welcome and the key opens every door in the citadel. Every archmaester has this key.

In Game of Thrones, Ned asks Tobho Mott, the armorer, who brought Gendry to him. Tobho says that it was some lord who was not quite as big as Ned and had a brown beard with a bit of red in it. The face was shadowed by a hood. Are we supposed to know who this is? There is no hint that Ned recognizes the description. One reason I ask is that I am unclear on who and how many people know about Gendry. For sure the queen, Varys, and Tohbo, but who this lord is might be a clue to who else knows if it matters.

I was just rereading this and I figured it was Varys in one of his many disguises.

Archived