A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

I believe this falls under the description of a "small question", so: How did Theon's hair turn white and brittle by ADWD? Extreme lack of light? The wrong kind of shampoo? Being denied any shampoo? Not washing it at all?

extreme malnourishment, I´d guess

BTW does anybody know where the thread has gone in which you can list continuity errors and typos in the books? A few weeks ago I reread a pretty new edition of ASOS and I noticed that two things STILL haven´t been corrected, after all this time.

It still winds me up aswell that there wasn't a Ryswell that went south with Robb. Barbrey said that she couldn't ignore the summons and sent a token force (probably under Ronnel Stout) but while the Ryswell's did send men, they had no one to lead them. Could it be that they plotted with Bolton from before Theon's treachery?

I don't think so. I don't think Roose conspired until after the Blackwater

Is there any running theory's on why Jaqen was in the dungeons in Kings Landing, or is it just a non factor?

Pretty popular theory Varys hired him to kill Ned Stark on their way to the Wall.

Is there any running theory's on why Jaqen was in the dungeons in Kings Landing, or is it just a non factor?

Pretty sure there are a few threads about Jaqen, if I find them I'll link them

Are you sure? I thought it was only after the rebellion

No its always been crowned since they took it from the Storm Kings. I think in the TV show they say that it was after they took the crown, but thats just for TV.

No its always been crowned since they took it from the Storm Kings. I think in the TV show they say that it was after they took the crown, but thats just for TV.

O crap, I really hope I'm not starting to blur the two together. I wasn't sure to begin with. Thanks

I believe this falls under the description of a "small question", so: How did Theon's hair turn white and brittle by ADWD? Extreme lack of light? The wrong kind of shampoo? Being denied any shampoo? Not washing it at all?

Extreme lack of sunlight will retard melanin production, which is what gives hair colour and texture. I'd also say conditions of extreme stress, which having fingers flayed and being in a constant state of terror would qualify, will also have that kind of effect, though malnutrition plays a part too.

Although the general theory of what happened at Summerhall was an attempt to hatch dragon eggs, Selmy has an interesting reflection in ADwD (I'm totally paraphrasing as I don't have the book with me atm) that the tragedy at Summerhall was the result of a love affair gone terribly wrong. Are there any thoughts on this?

Although the general theory of what happened at Summerhall was an attempt to hatch dragon eggs, Selmy has an interesting reflection in ADwD (I'm totally paraphrasing as I don't have the book with me atm) that the tragedy at Summerhall was the result of a love affair gone terribly wrong. Are there any thoughts on this?

Barristan explains that Rhaella was in love with Ser Bonifer Hasty, but Aegon V (Egg) forced her to marry his brother Aerys II (due to the Ghost of High Heart's profecies that said that TPTWP would be born from their offspring). I'd say this is the love affair he is refering to.

This would have come as a terrible thing for poor Rhaella, because in her lifetime experience the Targaryen custom of marrying between the family had been abandoned. His grandfather Egg, her father Jaehaerys and her two uncles had married for love. And we know that Aerys ended beating Rhaella on a regular basis.

Was battle of Blackwater during day or night?

I think it started during the day and continued into the night - Sansa's and Sandor's scene in her room must have been during the night.

Hi there, first message on the board !

Just to clarify something I'm not really sure ...

It seems to me that Jon Snow NEVER asks Mance or Thormund (or other wildlings) on the whereabouts of his uncle Benjen. Am I right ?

Does Jon even mention Benjen once after the great ranging ?

Hi there, first message on the board !

Just to clarify something I'm not really sure ...

It seems to me that Jon Snow NEVER asks Mance or Thormund (or other wildlings) on the whereabouts of his uncle Benjen. Am I right ?

Does Jon even mention Benjen once after the great ranging ?

I'm pretty sure they asked about him at Craster's and had conversations between the Night watch's men.... but when Jon was with the wildlings, he wouldn't have been asking because he was trying to stay alive... and if he was asking about a Night Watch's man even if it was his uncle... it would seem less believable that he had truly gone over to the wildling side. Also after he got back to Castle Black he pretty much comes to terms that his uncle Benjen is in all likelihood dead.

Yeah, Craster told Mormont that he hasn't seen Benjen in 3 years (if I remember correctly), and Jon has a talk with Mormont about him on the Fist of the First Men.

Obviously it would have been a bad moove to ask about the First Ranger when he was trying to pass for a deserter. And after he rejoins Castle Black, he had other things to think about ...

Still, I doubt he suddenly forgot about his uncle, and it seems to me that he could have investigated after the wildling army was crushed by Stannis. Who better than free folks to get informations on what happened beyond the Wall ? Who better than Mance, Val, or Thormund to inform him ? And why did he never asked Melisandre to look for him in her fires ? (although I agree Jon isn't quite persuaded by her "visions")

Therefore my question remains : is Benjen even mentionned AFTER the great ranging ?

I never liked that theory. Jaqen was in the black cells before Ned got arrested.

Maybe so, but I think we can agree that Varys is always at least 2 steps ahead of everyone else

Archived