A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

I'm sure Stannis wasn't leading the charge in the books.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I couldn't be really sure.

Thanks for the reply. :)

But you gotta admit, it looks pretty cool. Charging in front of his troops. Yelling " Come with me and take this city ! "

I really loved that part of the promo. I hope the whole episode lives up to the reader's expectations.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I couldn't be really sure.

Thanks for the reply. :)

But you gotta admit, it looks pretty cool. Charging in front of his troops. Yelling " Come with me and take this city ! "

I really loved that part of the promo. I hope the whole episode lives up to the reader's expectations.

Yeah it's a little out of character for Stannis, he isn't really the "lead the charge" type of leader, but like you, I am somewhat fine with it, because they are showing something that makes Stannis look like a badass, which should make some people like him more. I was pretty mad with the show, on how they made Stannis to unlikeable, so I am willing to accept him leading the charge, in hopes that some people will like him more because of it. I really don't think they did Stannis any justice with his show character, compared to the book one, along with a handful of other characters to. In the books, most people start out not liking Stannis, but a lot of people change their minds down the road, as the story goes on, and with the show making him so unlikeable, I am afraid not many viewers will change their minds about him. D.B. Weiss has said in an interview that Stannis would make a horrible King, and I feel like his opinion strongly reflects in how they wrote Stannis's character, and I don't agree with that at all, they should let the audience deside on how they view a character. Many book readers think Stannis would be a great King.

Yeah it's a little out of character for Stannis, he isn't really the "lead the charge" type of leader, but like you, I am somewhat fine with it, because they are showing something that makes Stannis look like a badass, which should make some people like him more. I was pretty mad with the show, on how they made Stannis to unlikeable, so I am willing to accept him leading the charge, in hopes that some people will like him more because of it. I really don't think they did Stannis any justice with his show character, compared to the book one, along with a handful of other characters to. In the books, most people start out not liking Stannis, but a lot of people change their minds down the road, as the story goes on, and with the show making him so unlikeable, I am afraid not many viewers will change their minds about him. D.B. Weiss has said in an interview that Stannis would make a horrible King, and I feel like his opinion strongly reflects in how they wrote Stannis's character, and I don't agree with that at all, they should let the audience deside on how they view a character. Many book readers think Stannis would be a great King.

I'm one of those people. :P

Stannis' portrayal really bugged me at first. Especially the Melisandre sex scene. I know it was implied in the books, but I never really gave it much thought. And they made Stannis like the father of the demon baby.

Stannis' portrayal really bugged me at first. Especially the Melisandre sex scene. I know it was implied in the books, but I never really gave it much thought. And they made Stannis like the father of the demon baby.

Stannis is the father of the demon babies in both ACoK and the show. He does have sex with Melisandre multiple times in the books.

Stannis is the father of the demon babies in both ACoK and the show. He does have sex with Melisandre multiple times in the books.

Yeah thats definitely true. Each time Melisandre had a shadow baby with Stannis, he was a bit weaker and it drained some of his "life force". After the second one that killed Ser Cortnay Penrose, Davos thought Stannis "looked ten years older, since he last saw him".

Strangely enough, I actually like Stannis more because of the shadow babies he had with Melisandre. Some people think Melisandre tricked Stannis and that she didn't tell him the "price" of making shadows(draining his life force). I personally think those people are crazy. Stannis knew the cost, and he paid it willingly. Stannis would definitely sacrifice some of his "life", in order to gain a large part of Renly's army, Storms End, and Edric Storm. I mean come on, do people think Stannis just didn't notice the "side effects", of making these shadows? That's ridiculous in my opinion.

And that's why it makes me like Stannis more, he is willing to do what it takes to fulfill his duty, and that is sitting on the Iron Throne. Even if it means sacrificing years to his life. Same goes for Stannis being willing to sacrifice Edric Storm, I admire that. Stannis truly believed that it was neccisary to saving the Realm from the Others. I know it sounds harsh, but I would sacrifice one child without thinking twice, if it meant saving everybody else. That's what I love about Stannis, he is willing to choose the lesser of two evils, if that's his only option. Unlike Ned or Davos, who would never make that choice if it at all was "wrong", or "evil".

Don't get me wrong though, I also love Ned and Davos because of those qualities, but if your someone in charge of a body of people, you have to be willing to choose the "lesser of two evils".

I'm confused about Hot Pie and a couple of other things related to the Inn that is the BWB's headquarters, where Brienne and Pod and Hyle Hunt are captured. When the BWB first captures Arya (JERKS! Sorry, I just was so mad about them), it is at the Inn with the kneeling king. At that point, it is run by Sharna, her husband, and the boy. I believe these are the people Jaime/Brienne/Cleos encountered earlier, who sold them the horses for the skiff and three dragons. Hot Pie decides to stay with Sharna and cook for her.

However, in A Feast for Crows, when Brienne, Pod, and Hyle come to that same inn, I thought, and Brienne fights Rorge/Biter and they are captured by the BWB, Sharna is no longer there, nor is Hot Pie. Instead, it is being run by Willow/Long Jeyne Heddle with help from Gendry. Am I just wrong about it being that same inn? Or is it the same inn? If so, what happened to Sharna and Hot Pie? Why doesn't Brienne realize she has been there before?

Thank you - I forgot about the northmen ha ha.

But that would make it a coincidence that they were freed as Hoat was planning to turn unless Hoat was especially nimble and turned the minute he heard about the northmen being freed.

Well, Vargo Hoat and his Bloody Mummers did have a deal with Roose and the Northmen. He would take about a hundred "prisoners" into Harrenhal, then arrange thier release and then they would all overthrow Lorch and the other Lannister men. Arya and Jaqen didn't know about this arrangement prior to them making the weasel soup. It was only after they had freed the northmen that Arya and Jaqen learned about the plan because the northmen assumed that the weasel soup was Vargo Hoat's plan to free them and said so in so many words.

I'm sure when Vargo and the rest of the Bloody Mummers saw what was happening, they helped the Northmen. Vargo had already planned on turning before he brought the northmen "prisoners" into Harrenhal. They had worked out a deal. Arya and Jaqen just released the northmen before Vargo had a chance to do it himself.

Well, Vargo Hoat and his Bloody Mummers did have a deal with Roose and the Northmen. He would take about a hundred "prisoners" into Harrenhal, then arrange thier release and then they would all overthrow Lorch and the other Lannister men. Arya and Jaqen didn't know about this arrangement prior to them making the weasel soup. It was only after they had freed the northmen that Arya and Jaqen learned about the plan because the northmen assumed that the weasel soup was Vargo Hoat's plan to free them and said so in so many words.

I'm sure when Vargo and the rest of the Bloody Mummers saw what was happening, they helped the Northmen. Vargo had already planned on turning before he brought the northmen "prisoners" into Harrenhal. They had worked out a deal. Arya and Jaqen just released the northmen before Vargo had a chance to do it himself.

^That sucks

Are you sure? I thought it was his father's mother.

According to the wiki the Flint lady is his maternal grandmother : "his father's mother's mother had been a Flint of the mountains. Old Nan once said that it was her blood in him that made Bran such a fool for climbing before his fall" in ASoS.

I'm a little confused about what happened when Lysa Tully got pregnant with Littlefinger's child. People seem to be saying that he thought he was Cat and that he genuinely believed he'd taken Cat's maidenhood. I totally missed this when I read through the books. In which book/POV does that info come out?

I'm a little confused about what happened when Lysa Tully got pregnant with Littlefinger's child. People seem to be saying that he thought he was Cat and that he genuinely believed he'd taken Cat's maidenhood. I totally missed this when I read through the books. In which book/POV does that info come out?

My take: Hoster made her abort it. LF lied about Cat.

My take: Hoster made her abort it. LF lied about Cat.

Is it ever confirmed that LF lied about Cat?

And, I think Lysa's forced abortion could explain her infertility, which is why Hoster remains so guilty even on his deathbed. Keep in mind they didn't have fancy surgical procedures back then, you had to drink what was essentially a poison and kill the fetus. Who knows what kind of lasting effect that could have on a woman's reproductive system?

Archived