GRRM ON LAND OF ALWAYS WINTER?

himalyanjon

Nice catch. I haven't thought of Benjen being apoint of view but I fully support this theory. I would probably hop up and down in happiness if I opened Winds and saw Benjen as a viewpoint character. It actually makes alot of sense so yes I think Martin was being coy. Benjen would be such an awesome twist.

Having Benjen as a viewpoint character is one of the more attractive of the possible vehicles for showing us the Last of Always Winter using someone who’s actually there in person. Having Bran use his clairvoyant powers to show us what’s there is something of a narrative cheat. Another possibility is that Jon will have to take the last battle into the heart of winter to win the final victory that frees the world from the tyranny of magically manipulated seasons.

By the way, there really is a plausible way for the season thing to work using purely science fiction principles. If the axial tilt of the planet could be dynamically shifted, it would change the seasons. The amount of energy required would be monstrous, but then, the Sidhe are portrayed as monsters.

Do you really think that Martin is so poor a writer that he would have a zombified Catelyn Stark and a zombified Benjen Stark, both?

Really?

Pardon me for my hopeless naïveté, but I never realized Martin was writing yet another lame “zombie-apocalypse” novel where the main characters all become icky zombies.

Please tell me I didn’t miss that.

I really hope you're right, for Jon Snow's sake.

I doubt he’ll ever warm up again. Bran’s dream suggests he gets damned cold.

Plus guys, think of his very name: Snow. It’s just as prophetic as each of the direwolves’ names are.

Snow + Ghost = White Walker. It is known.

I got 3 possibillity's.

1 the Jon Wight/Ghost POV seeing how it ended with such a cliffhanger in DwD

2 Bran looking through the trees or warging a raven

3 Davos searching for Rickon who possibly has gone way north with Osha

I got 3 possibillity's.

3 i really hope its 3

me too in that way we see Davos in an other way like some kind of Brienne like quest POV and we'll know how Rickon has evolved in the time that passed from them escaping Winterfell

And we'll finally see what's rickon upto

( i imagine jhonny depp's pirates of carribean 2 scene in the land of the cannibals)

I got 3 possibillity's.

No.2 is out because GRRM says the Land of Always Winter is beyond the tree-line.

I'm hoping Benjen stark. I mean it is conceivable that he was cut off from withdrawing south to the wall and went north to see where these things were coming from.

I think in the end "The Others" must be defeated completely. The static defense of just waiting for them for thousands of years just isn't working out. They know how to kill them as the First Men learned finally and should be able this time push them back, find their lair, and kill them all for good.

I'm hoping Benjen stark. I mean it is conceivable that he was cut off from withdrawing south to the wall and went north to see where these things were coming from.

I think in the end "The Others" must be defeated completely. The static defense of just waiting for them for thousands of years just isn't working out. They know how to kill them as the First Men learned finally and should be able this time push them back, find their lair, and kill them all for good.

Ah have seen quite maps in the past hour the land of always winter begins after the trees beyond the himalya like mountains

> No.2 is out because GRRM says the Land of Always Winter is beyond the tree-line.

from that what do others eat???? anyone

Huh?!

All that being beyond/above timberline precludes eating is trees. As I never got the idea that the Others ate trees, even demihuman weretrees, your question makes no sense.

No.2 is out because GRRM says the Land of Always Winter is beyond the tree-line.

Yes and no. Bloodraven said Bran was going to learn to see even beyond the trees. Bran experienced this before – in aGoT, during his coma, he saw into the heart of winter. Too bad he doesn’t remember.

Yes and no. Bloodraven said Bran was going to learn to see even beyond the trees. Bran experienced this before – in aGoT, during his coma, he saw into the heart of winter. Too bad he doesn’t remember.

really when does he say that ???

Huh?!

All that being beyond/above timberline precludes eating is trees. As I never got the idea that the Others ate trees, even demihuman weretrees, your question makes no sense.

nah the quote i was just wondering there are no animals there and obviously no vegetation so....???

Archived