GRRM ON LAND OF ALWAYS WINTER?

himalyanjon

On re-reading AGoT again... its clearly Jon who's going up there. Here's the relevant passage, where Tyrion is making his farewells on top of the wall:

“If he [benjen] doesn’t come back,” Jon Snow promised, “Ghost and I will go and find him.” He put his hand on the direwolf’s head.

“I believe you,” Tyrion said…

Looks like Jon to me.

• 1 year later...

I believe that Benjen Stark will be the one to travel to the very ends of the North which will lead him to the unknown continent of Ulthos. In Ulthos, there is apparently dense forests and nothing else. I feel that Benjen found where the White Walkers originated and then travelled so far North that he started going South. After five books, he finally reached another civilization and they took him to Asshai. The "truth" that Quaithe speaks of to Daenerys is the simple notion that the world is round. To go west, you can go east, to go north, you can go south, to find the light, you can pass under the shadow (the Shadowlands are right beside Asshai). This is why Quaithe tells Daenerys to come to Asshai, and this is why, when Daenerys eventually does find her way there, she will meet Benjen Stark!

I believe that Benjen Stark will be the one to travel to the very ends of the North which will lead him to the unknown continent of Ulthos. In Ulthos, there is apparently dense forests and nothing else. I feel that Benjen found where the White Walkers originated and then travelled so far North that he started going South. After five books, he finally reached another civilization and they took him to Asshai. The "truth" that Quaithe speaks of to Daenerys is the simple notion that the world is round. To go west, you can go east, to go north, you can go south, to find the light, you can pass under the shadow (the Shadowlands are right beside Asshai). This is why Quaithe tells Daenerys to come to Asshai, and this is why, when Daenerys eventually does find her way there, she will meet Benjen Stark!

I can't get on board with this because Benjens badassness aside there is no way you can survive for months/years in a place with 0 food, its just not possible. There is also the fact that GRRM said no one will go farther east then they have already been accept in flashbacks. But how about this, maybe we will find out something about brandon the shipwright or sailor or whatever he was called. The one who sailed across the sunset sea.

Archived